collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 7021 times)

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
Am I the only one?
« on: July 13, 2019, 01:15:56 AM »
That thinks they over killed how many basic fun ponies they are making? I thought maybe 10 would have been good. I'd rather have new products that all reports. Like maybe more g1s as little chibi toys?

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 02:33:52 AM »
I dont know, I think everyone wants their specific favorites in a crisp new box, and as long as they are selling they are going to make more. But yes of course they could do so much more! Chibis would be to die for!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:49:31 AM »
I don't think they are doing a lot if you think that there were over 600 + released in all of G1 era  I would love it if they did that many though :D but I don't think they will but I don't think the G1 would look as good in chibi style  but thats just my opinion ,

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:00:52 AM »
I’ve bought a few of the basic fun ponies, and I hope to get a few more, but I don’t see the point of recreating my entire vintage collection with a repro collection, you know?  I’m not personally interested in the Stranger Things AJ, but I like the idea of ‘specialty’ ponies like that more than endless waves of G1 reproductions.

Elf

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 04:22:55 AM »
I’ve bought a few of the basic fun ponies, and I hope to get a few more, but I don’t see the point of recreating my entire vintage collection with a repro collection, you know?  I’m not personally interested in the Stranger Things AJ, but I like the idea of ‘specialty’ ponies like that more than endless waves of G1 reproductions.

Elf

I agree.  I mean I never collected ponies as a kid . I prefer finding loose stuff. 

Post Merge: July 13, 2019, 04:24:27 AM

I don't think they are doing a lot if you think that there were over 600 + released in all of G1 era  I would love it if they did that many though :D but I don't think they will but I don't think the G1 would look as good in chibi style  but thats just my opinion ,

I thought the mashems looked cute so I think chibi could work.  I  think if they made new designs on a G1 base I'd be way more excited.

I'd also be super interested if they made stuff that was never released.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:26:18 AM by gemini_pony »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 05:30:20 AM »
I like seeing the Basic Fun ponies. :) I only have 1 or 2 G1 ponies out of each set Basic Fun has released so far. I love that the Basic Fun ponies look brand new and it gives me a chance to own ponies that I didn't have or have newer versions that look pristine as my childhood ponies were well loved and although I took really good care of my toys, now some of them are pretty grubby looking.

If the Basic Fun line continues I will probably have to make a choice when to stop buying all of the ponies in a set and only get a few.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 05:40:48 AM »
I'm not going to let my kid play with 30 year old plastic that is leaking.. so the BF ponies certainly have a reason to exist beyond just collectors collections. It would of been lame to have the original 6 + 4 others.

I think the best shot for a chibi is another company. Loyal subject came the closest but they just had weird proportions.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:45:06 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 06:08:09 AM »
I'm glad they are continuing. What were they gonna do? Release the same bunch Hasbro released during G3 and that's it? That would be incredibly lame. If you don't like it, don't buy.

I for one am sick of Chibi Everything. Its ugly as heck. If you want Chibi Ponies, stick with G3.5s, G4s, Funko Pops and Loyal Subjects.

Basic Fun are making Repros. Repros are faithful reproductions of a thing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:19:37 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 06:38:21 AM »
I for one am sick of Chibi Everything. Its ugly as heck. If you want Chibi Ponies, stick with G3.5s, G4s, Funko Pops and Loyal Subjects.

I love chibi stuff without a doubt. And have ever since the 80s (super deformed).

But none of those things really feel true "chibi" to me based on proportions.

ETA -- now that I think about it. Cutie mark crew are fairly chibi
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:21:37 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 06:51:37 AM »
No, I agree with everyone else, they aren't making too many. I hope they make it to some later years so I can get ones from my childhood

As for chibi things I have nothing against them, and why couldn't there be both reproductions and chibi things? Although if I had to choose between the two, obviously the repros because there is just endless chibi stuff (toys, anime merch etc)

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Rodneytheponydude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
  • Im the most rootin tootin cowboy in the wild west!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 07:13:00 AM »
To be honest i think that its great the ponies are being recreated. They arent hurting anything other than peoples wallets (which is their choice haha!) So really its a case of if you dont like it dont buy it. If its bringing people joy theres no "overkilling it". In like 30 years most people will be flocking to collect them since theyre vintage im guessing. :)

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 07:43:26 AM »
I'm not going to let my kid play with 30 year old plastic that is leaking.. so the BF ponies certainly have a reason to exist beyond just collectors collections. It would of been lame to have the original 6 + 4 others.

^ this. I like my old gen1 as a collection, but the retro BF ponies are fun for my kids to play with, should they ever be interested in ponies. I don't feel comfortable with them handling old plastic which has plasticizers and other materials that are now forbidden in children's toys.

I just wish that, for collectors, they made more original ponies! They have the molds, why keep reproducing ponies that already exist? They could make new gen1 ponies and I'd buy literally ALL of it! I love the Stranger Things AJ SO much, please make more!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 08:07:43 AM »
I’m on the fence about it. I do like having the option of having these new ponies and to keep them in box if I like. I bought a few for my niece and she loves playing with the ponies. I would like it if they released some of the harder To find ponies like a Mimic would be nice.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 08:10:28 AM »
From a UK perspective, we have already had ten ponies we never had in G1, with 2 more on the way in the autumn in Pinwheel and Starflower. From the original six, Minty is also a bit obscure here. So from my point of view, there isn't much repetition. The first set rainbows, yeah, but my first pony was Windy so I can't complain about it.

I actually like the retro CP set better in most cases than the actual CP set, which is a terrible thing to say as a G1 collector but is true xD.

In any case, Basic Fun are producing the early US line. And for some reason Hasbro UK skipped out on the year 2 and 3 unicorn and pegasus ponies, the year 3 rainbows, year 3 adult sea ponies and the unicorn and pegasus babies from the first baby pony set. So if any or all of those are reissued they're brand new toys for everyone over here who didn't have the luxury of a foreign holiday in the eighties (which we didn't as a family).

At the same time, though, most all of those characters were among the most memorable early ones in the UK comic stories, and on UK merchandise. So people REMEMBER them. Now for the first time they can BUY them.

I found Medley and Glory in the UK this week in a store with a £ price tag for the first time since I told my mother aged four that I 'really really wanted them' xD. She did hunt and hunt for them without any luck. It's not an exaggeration to say I've waited more than 30 years to be able to buy a Glory and Medley from new in store.

It seems a bit crazy I guess for people stateside for whom these guys are common - but for me, I'm very grateful to Basic Fun for finally bringing the ponies to the UK that Hasbro forgot.

That's not to say I wouldn't love it if they brought out some new ponies. Unfortunately the only time they've done anything close to that has been US only, with the SDCC pony and ST AJ, which is frankly unfair, but there you go. These things go both ways.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:13:40 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »
From a collecting standpoint, it seems a bit redundant to have ponies like Firefly and the Collectors since they're already easy to find or cheap to buy online. Where I think Basic Fun really shines is ponies that age terribly, like white ponies, and the Year 3 Rainbows. I'd love to see So Softs make a return, or maybe Precious Pocket ponies. Generally I think Twinkle Eyes are fine, but regrind is common enough. Or imagine buying a Lickety Split with pink hair, and of course, Flutter ponies with wings.

But then what about in another 20 or 30 years? The "okay" G1s might be fine now, but they'll certainly get worse over time...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal