collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: Spain Piggy Ponies by LadyG  (Read 2420 times)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: Spain Piggy Ponies by LadyG
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:01:52 AM »
Spotlight on: Spanish Piggy Ponies by LadyG

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(Minty courtesy of GYPSYWILDFLOWER - thanks!)

One of the more curious additions to the My Little Pony universe can be found in the form of what have affectionately been named ‘Piggy Ponies’. These strangely adorable ponies are unique in the world of variants and often provoke a love them or hate them response.

For a long time, they were thought to be bizarre fakies based on the early collector pose issue, simply because they looked nothing like any other MLP we knew about. Many got left behind at car boot sales because of this! However, then came the discovery of a number of Piggy Ponies mint on card, thus proving that they actually were licensed. Shelti was the first collector in the US community to own a MOC Piggy pony. The name ‘Piggy Ponies’ is partly a throwback to the time when they were more a source of amusement, and it relates to the unusual shape of their body, which makes them look chubby, and their little hooves.

What makes them so special?

Pretty much everything! Piggy ponies are the only adult ponies to have ‘beddy-bye eye’, similar to the babies of the normal issue. Most have painted eyeliner and eyelashes as well as the “real” eyelashes. They have a very different body shape from any other pony, which is much more squishy compared to a regular pony.

(Thanks to Ahrian for Snuzzle, Escarchita for Lemondrop's eye and leaper for Cotton Candy's eye)

Piggy ponies have completely smooth flat feet with no markings on them. Their hooves are a distinct shape.

(Thanks to leaper for both pictures of the feet)

Piggy ponies have quite long hair, which is generally silky and the strands are thicker compared to regular pony hair. They are prone to loosing the hair at the bottom of their manes.

While some of the piggy ponies are clearly based on existing collector pose ponies (e.g. Cotton Candy and Snuzzle), others simply borrow the colour scheme (e.g. orange pony with yellow hair and red fireworks symbol/Rayito) or symbol (e.g. pale blue pony with yellow hair, but Bluebell’s symbol/Cielete), while others seem to bear even less resemblance to any known pony (e.g. white pony with blue hair and blue clouds symbol/Algodoncete).

(Thanks to leaper for Algodoncete)

Mi Pequeño Pony: What ponies are there?

There were two releases of the piggy ponies, one by Breker and another by MB/Milton Bradley.

Brekar Ponies: 6 characters resembling the “original six”

Azul Celeste (blue hair) = translates as “Sky Blue”

Melocoton (orange butterflies) = translates as “Peach”

Menta (silver hair) = translates as “Mint”

Rosado (sugar cube symbols) translates as “Pinkish or Rosy” (thank you Perikoala)

Perla = translates as “Pearl” (as in the jewel)

Orchidea (lilac body)

(Picture by Escarchita)

MB Ponies: 12 characters, some based on the original six and some are unique

Fresita (hot pink body, white hair, apple or strawberry type symbol) = from Fresa, which is Spanish for strawberry.

Algodoncete (white body, blue hair, cloud type symbol) = translates as "Little Cotton", the ete at the end an affectionate suffix, so "Fluffy Clouds" could be another translation (thank you Perikoala)

Rayito (orange body, yellow hair, star burst type symbol) = translates as Little Bolt/Ray (thank you Perikoala)

Blossom (pink body, blue hair, flower type symbol)

Cielete (blue/grey body, yellow hair, star symbol) = translates as Celestial

Perla (peach body, white hair, spot or hoop symbol) = translates as “Pearl” (as in the jewel)

Pinky (pink, pink hair and spot symbol)

Butterscotch (yellow with golden hair and blue butterfly symbols)

Manzanita (green with clover symbol and golden brown hair) = name translates as “Little Apple” however, in Botany the term Manzanita is a common name for many species of the genus Arctostaphylos.

Orchidea = (pink body, lilac hair and flower symbol)

Loly Pop = (grey with pink hair and pink hearts symbol)

Suspiro (yellow with lilac hair and drop symbols) = name has several translations; “sigh” as into to emit a long, deep audible breath expressing sadness, relief, tiredness, or similar, meringue or with no direct translation as a colloquial phrase roughly meaning “in an instant” such as the “in the blink of an eye” or “in a flash”

Each of the above named MB ponies has *at least* two variants. The variations could be as follows: the symbols may be reversed, at an angel, larger or smaller, thicker or thinner or have a larger or lesser number of components.

(Picture by EtoileBleue)

Where were they sold?

Piggy ponies seem to have been sold only in Spain, however, there are reasonable numbers to be found across Europe, perhaps due to Spain’s popularity as a holiday destination. This limited release has however resulted in them being hard to find on the secondary market, even in Spain, and they can command a high price.

How were they sold?

They were sold on cards that on the front appear to be very similar to those used in other countries for some of the early ponies.

The one exception to this is the Piggy Pony resembling Peachy, who was sold with early issues of the Spanish Grooming Parlour or Establo de Belleza (translates as Beauty Stable, thank you Perikoala)

(Thanks to leaper for the MOC pic!)

Piggy Pony Wear or Conjuntos Para Vestir

There were four outfits sold specifically for the piggy ponies, there were;
Disco = resembles “Pageant Queen”
Gala Real “Best or Finest Clothes = resembles “Royal Pony”
Patinaje “Skating” = resembles “Great Skates”
Dulces Suenos “Sweet Dreams” = resembles “Sweet Dreams”.

What is unique is the shoes were specially designed for the feet of Piggy Ponies.   

(Many thanks to Escarchita for the pictures of the shoes! )

How much do they cost?

It does really depend on which piggy pony it is, but if you get a loose one for less than $100, you’ve definitely got a bargain! Generally expect to pay around $200-300. The harder to find piggy ponies range in price from $300-$600 depending on condition.

There are MOC Piggy ponies around, but they are even harder to acquire than loose ones, so expect to pay a *minimum* of $300 and most likely higher than that.

Trivia

- There are two unknown piggies; one resembles Azul Celeste, but has a darker blue body and hair. The second resembles Perla (pale pink body and white hair) and has white symbols matching Orchidea.
- The factory was based in Valencia
- Piggy Ponies were first made in 1983
- Piggy ponies are the only adults released to have ‘beddy-bye eyes’.
- All piggy ponies came with a plain comb and a ribbon, much like the early collector pose ponies elsewhere

My special thanks to Escarchita and DreamBeauty for their help with information, and to leaper, GYPSYWILDFLOWER, Escarchita, Ahrian and EtoileBleue for the generous use of their wonderful pictures! If you find any mistakes in this piece, please let me know so I can correct them

So go ahead and show of your piggy ponies, or if you're like me and aren't lucky enough to have one, just tell us which is your favorite!

A big thank you got Shelti  :missy: who saved each of the spotlights. This spotlight was first published on 19 May 2006.

Please respect the Nirvana Spotlights and the MLParena and do not take pictures or information for use on eBay, personal sales or webpages. The Nirvana Spotlights were kindly written and donated to the MLParena by members for use here only.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:31:34 AM by pinkkittywinks »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Perikoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: MLPArena Nirvana Spotlight: Spain Piggy Ponies by LadyG
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 03:28:28 PM »
Yay, piggies! :inlove: Thanks for this interesting thread!

Just some spelling notes, if you dont mind  :blush:

-Rosado can be translated more about "Rosy" or "Pinkish", is not exactly pink.

-Orquídea ≠ Orchidea.

-Algodoncete its hard to translate. Literally means "Little Cotton" in an affectionate way (like Cielete: cielo =sky -ete = affectionate suffix). I suppose it wants to mean "fluffy clouds" or something like that guessing from the symbols.

-Rayito = Little Bolt/ray

-The Spanish Grooming Parlour was called Establo de Belleza (beauty stable)

And some more trivia!

There is a Grooming Parlor ad with a piggy Applejack prototype instead of Peachy.

Also, there are CP prototypes of MB piggies: Algodoncete, Fresita, Cielete, Blossom and Perla (and not 100% but shy pose Rayito too?) shown in a 1985 MB catalog.

Wondering if it will be included the dresses made for piggies, especially the disco outfit one?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »
Ooh, interesting! I wouldn't mind adding Rayito to my herd one day.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
Perikoala thank you for those translations and the extra trivia! The spotlight was first published in 2007, so it might have been before we had seen those catalogue pictures. I do love seeing the piggies as regular ponies :D also LOVE that piggy Applejack.

suppose I could add the the Spanish pony wear ;) I'm sure LadyG won't mind. it was in there, I screwed up the HTML :blush: I now need to fix the pictures  >_<

Love pkw xxx

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:39:23 PM by pinkkittywinks »

Offline KC8114

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 07:49:21 AM »
Thank you for the spotlight!!  Piggy's are the best!
Thank you aluke for my lovely avatar!!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
I am glad you enjoyed it KC (and I am glad I have made all the pictures work now too)

Love pkw xxx

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »
Don't forget Piggies are notably smaller than HK ponies, and thus their outfits are made to fit them - normal ponywear is too big for them! Awesome info though.
And, as one of the few brave souls that have beheaded a piggy, I would like to offer a picture of their tail clips as they are exclusive to piggies as far as I know:

And here is a size comparison:

Offline Silversnow

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+169)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Piggy Lover
    • View Profile
    • https://www.ebay.com/usr/snowauryn
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
Ahh piggies <3

Here are some of mine (except for the MOC ones) having a spa day!

Piggy for sale? Please contact me!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 07:35:31 AM »
That is a great comparison picture cinnamon! Thank you for the tail washer picture as well. I have beheaded piggies a few times and it is HARD!

Your piggies are gorgeous snow :heart: I can see the different symbols on each of them too :bigups:

Love pkw xxx

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 02:02:52 AM »
I just love the piggies! Maybe one day I could afford one.
Thanks for the spotlight!

Blog / Facebook Page

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal