collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it possible to reroot the mane of a brush and grow pony?  (Read 778 times)

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
So I recently found a princess Skylark in a charity store. She was practically black with dirt, and had something pink and sticky all over her face, but it was nothing a magic eraser couldn't fix.  :)

Surprisingly, the mechanism for her tail still works properly, so she's looking great now, apart from her mane. (I'd put photos in at this point, but I'm still new here and can't figure out how to, haha)  It hasn't been cut that badly, but it is really uneven, and her tinsels all straggly. I've considered rerooting her mane, but I really don't want to do anything to break the tail mechanism. Is it possible to take a brush and grow ponies head off without breaking their tail mechanism, or should I just even her mane out and embrace her shorter style?

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to reroot the mane of a brush and grow pony?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:55:10 AM »
I'm not sure if she can be rerooted, but here is some info on her mechanism.
I hope it helps :)

info : http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:21:27 AM by kingluke »
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You can take them apart, but there's no guarantee that things will go back to the way they were. There's a good amount of glue holding the mechanism to the head... As you can see, there's plenty of room to re-root. You've got to pry the head from the base of the mechanism without destroying the plastic of the mechanism. Probably would come off easier by softening up using a hair dryer.  I was able to fix mine that had a cut tail...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »
It might be possible to reroot without removing the head...

I've never done it but I have heard of people rooting ponies without removing the head first. Of course, BnG ponies have awkward head mechanisms but the princess ones don't have much thicker hair so it might work?

Skylark has a complicated mix of colours though, and tinsel, which may be hard to reroot to match the tail.

I guess it depends how much it's been cut. If it's not that bad, it might be better to work on conditioning it, work on the tinsel and maybe even out the ends?

My Curly Locks' mane has been layered by her previous owner, but surprisingly, after some time, I got used to it and now style her making a thing of the shorter sections. You might find that Skylark also looks good that way ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline milkywaymochi

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
In terms of her hair cut, it isn't so very terrible; certainly not the worst hair cut I've found on a pony. (that honour goes to my now fully restored mainsail) Even though it's quite uneven, all of her mane is still longer than a regular ponies hair, but when you compare it to her tail, or to another brush and grow ponies mane, it's immediately obvious that someone got a little carried away with their scissors.

I think you're right though, all the different hair colours and tinsel combined with the tail mechanism being in the way would make rerooting her mane a very difficult task. For now at least, I think I'll leave her mane the way it is, and just trim off some of the more straggly bits.   ^.^

On another note, I think I've discovered the identity of the strange pink substance that was caked on her face- it might have been the vaguely named "make up stick" that I believe came with the princess brush and grow ponies.  :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:51:02 AM »
In terms of her hair cut, it isn't so very terrible; certainly not the worst hair cut I've found on a pony. (that honour goes to my now fully restored mainsail) Even though it's quite uneven, all of her mane is still longer than a regular ponies hair, but when you compare it to her tail, or to another brush and grow ponies mane, it's immediately obvious that someone got a little carried away with their scissors.

I think you're right though, all the different hair colours and tinsel combined with the tail mechanism being in the way would make rerooting her mane a very difficult task. For now at least, I think I'll leave her mane the way it is, and just trim off some of the more straggly bits.   ^.^

On another note, I think I've discovered the identity of the strange pink substance that was caked on her face- it might have been the vaguely named "make up stick" that I believe came with the princess brush and grow ponies.  :)

Are you in the UK? If so that's a deeffinite possibility.

I am still finding specks of the nail polish on my childhood Star Gleamer's hooves even now :/

The US ones didn't come with make up although the puff palace and some other sets did so still a possibility...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline milkywaymochi

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »
As a matter of fact, I am in the UK. I have heard the pony nail polish is notoriously difficult to get off, but the make up stick stains came off completely with a combination of a magic eraser and my fingernails.

Of course there's no way of knowing whether her original owners got her in the UK, or brought her over from the US, especially considering it may not have even been her original owners who donated her to the charity shop I found her in. Either way, I'm both happy to embrace her shorter style, and happy she won't live in my pony cabinet with a pink crusty face  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal