collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do You Prefer SS Ponies With Their Flocking or Without?  (Read 3374 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Do You Prefer SS Ponies With Their Flocking or Without?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
This thread was good luck! I found a wild SS Paradise today. Her flocking is about 6/10 - 7/10 I'm debating selling since I already have a mint one, or deflocking even though her flocking isn't *that* bad.
Oh my really?? That's so awesome! It's so hard to come by SS in the wild...Also you do whatever will make you the happiest. If you want to sell her, go ahead, or if you want to de-flock her, have at it.  ^.^

My previous wild find, a year ago at a yard sale, also included a SS (Heartthrob) in a bit better condition (also a baby sea pony, 4 bushwoolies, and 2 Princess wands, none of which the seller recognized as MLP besides Heartthrob). So far my only yard sale G1 find and my only thrift store G1 find.
Considering Paradise costed me a whopping 30 cents, I'd say it wouldn't be a waste of my money if I made her my test subject. Never deflocked nor beheaded a pony before. Besides, I wanted NSS Paradise and originally 'settled' for a flocked one.

If her flocking isn't that bad, it would be better to sell her to someone looking and invest in a baitier one (not least as it will be less deflocking work).

Paradise wasn't sold in all countries. I'm sure she'd have a market somewhere.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
I like them better without flocking

Offline nebulavery

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »
I think I need to experience flocking first before coming to a conclusion! I do like the colors of deflocked ponies, but for me it all comes down to whether or not the sensory experience is a good one.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 11:06:00 PM »
I think I need to experience flocking first before coming to a conclusion! I do like the colors of deflocked ponies, but for me it all comes down to whether or not the sensory experience is a good one.

Touch a near mint one if you can!  I touch my two near mint ones just to feel their flocking sometimes.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline ladygodiva

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »

There is no denying that if you remove the flock, the colors they have are very bright and beautiful, but I prefer one with the perfect flock. In fact I have Paradise and I love it.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
Without. I never really liked the flocking, not even as a kid. I always was partia to the original, no gimmick ponies :P

Katrine, did you have SS ponies in Norway as well?!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2019, 08:33:35 AM »
WITH!
my fuzzy girls need to stay fuzzy!

DeviantArt Etsy

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 02:07:40 AM »
Without, no context. I don't mind flocking in general (haha I'd hope not, I collect Sylvanians as well) but somehow flocked ponies just don't do it for me, I'm not sure why... but they look so much prettier deflocked!!

That said, I'd never deflock a minty SS. But if the flocking has seen better days, then they're fair game for deflocking IMO ;)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 02:34:45 AM »
Without because you can’t really see their symbols in the flocking.

I much rather have flocking on doll heads.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 05:31:18 AM »
I'm weird about it. Initially I wanted to collect so softs, because even if I didn't grow up with them, I still grew up with the characters due to the cartoon (and also love many of the non-cartoon ones like Angel, Fifi, Scrumptious etc.). But in the end I just can't. They're so hard to find in good condition, there are SO MANY of them and also the flocking just doesn't feel right to me. They look off standing next to regular ponies. So I'm sticking to the NSS "Movie Star" set instead.

I feel a bit uneasy about deflocks, since they're altered and it's not how they're "supposed to be". But I can't very well tell others what to do with their ponies, especially when I don't collect them myself. It's kind of weird that good deflocks are probably a lot more desired than dingy so softs, and sell for more money. It makes sense though, since it's a lot of work to deflock a pony. Part of me feels like "why bother?", because if you don't like flocked ponies, there are A LOT of non-flocked ponies you can focus on instead. But I also get it, that these particular characters are very beloved by people. I have one deflock in my collection, Paradise, because my inner child desperately needed her to go with Paradise Estate. And I'm constantly tempted to get a deflocked Ribbon as well, so...  :biggrin:

I think it goes to show that this gimmick was pretty ill-conceived by Hasbro. No one really asked for or wanted this. But after three years of making "regular" ponies they desperately needed to add something new. We never got flocked ponies ever again, and 30+ years later it seems most collectors are just not that into it, whether they grew up with such ponies or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal