collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is there any value to used Disney VHS tapes?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Is there any value to used Disney VHS tapes?
« on: July 07, 2019, 08:31:42 AM »
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot... I apologize if I've misplaced it. :)

Anyway, I have a TON of Disney VHS movies that I don't want or need anymore. I keep seeing those clickbaity things saying they're worth money, but searching sold items on ebay doesn't bring up the most promising results; it looks like most only go for a couple of dollars at most.

So while I'm thinking I'll just post them as a bulk lot on FB marketplace and just unload them for whatever I can get, I wanted to see if there were any in particular that would be worth hanging onto and trying on ebay.

All the ones I have have the plastic clamshell cases, in varying degrees of used condition. Quite a few are marked with either the black "The Classics" diamond or the foily "Masterpiece Collection" castle logo.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any value to used Disney VHS tapes?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
I researched that once and as of a few months ago they were going on eBay for around $1-10 at most. I agree that you should try to unload some but as VHS isn’t used as much it might be sittin for a while...
 :)

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »
The only ones I've known to sell are the ones that are still sealed, and I've -heard- that the old Little Mermaid VHS case (with the 'banned' artwork) is worth something, but I don't see it selling very high either.

I think it's also worth double checking the case to see if there's anything special about it. Some people might pay a bit extra for ex-rental copies if they're specially made cases/tapes.

If shipping wasn't so high, I'd probably have been interested in any Lion King ones you might have had - I love collecting VHS tapes!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:23:55 PM »
They used to be, but with Disney Plus soon to debut, unless you have a rare release, you might find they have little value.  This sounds odd but call up a pawnshop and ask. This used to be where I would find the rarer VHS
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
There have been some instances where VHS were going for crazy prices on ebay but you can never know if it's fake to create a false demand.
Some of them belonged to the Black Damond Classic editions, so maybe you could find serious Disney collectors and ask them if these editions hold any value?

Also, just as a trivia bit; I sold my Little Mermaid VHS and audio tape for 30€ buuuut that's because the German DVD release had an all new dub with different voice actors and a lot of people did react poorly to it, so tried to get their nostalgia fix by buying the old versions.

Maybe nostalgia collectors would pay you more than the average Disney fan? The 90s are really big with young people claiming to be 90s kids when they were actually born in 1999 :lol: Disney themselves launched a merch line based on 90s nostalgia that even featured VHS clamshell purses.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
Around here we usually grab VHS at 10 for a dolla. I think $1-$5 each is pretty reasonable; more if they're in really great shape and play OK.

Some of the older live action are more sought after because you can't find the DVD's for a reasonable price. What do you all have?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
If you have any white cases with Sorcerer Mickey pointing at the Walt Disney Home Video logo those tapes are probably worth more because most of them did not make it to DVD. I know there's a white case for The first Disney release of Justin Morgan had a Horse and.

If you have any Disney VHS tapes of Lucky Luke and the ballad of the Daltons or Lucky Luke Daisy Town those are pretty rare. Disney had the rights to market the English dub VHS tapes for Lucky Luke for a few years.

Also, DTV-Disney's version of MTV VHS tapes might be worth more. The ones I see the most of DTV is the Golden Oldies tape but the others are more rare.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal