collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best place to buy pony-friendly display cases ONLINE?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Best place to buy pony-friendly display cases ONLINE?
« on: July 05, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »
I’ve been browsing display cabinets online, and the range of prices and models is insane... I’m getting very frustrated. I want to revamp my display room, and I’m really tired of bookshelves and all of the problems they pose (DUST. SO MUCH DUST.).

I’m trying to find a suitable way to display my ponies (and other toys, including 11” fashions dolls and small figurines). I want something that will last, that preferably doesn’t require wall-mounting of any kind, and that looks... not chintzy, I guess? I would also like to keep my ponies safely behind glass, while still being easily accessible (no elaborate locks, fasteners, or door mechanisms). Can anyone recommend a good place to shop online? Please help me! T_T
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to buy pony-friendly display cases ONLINE?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »
Ikea Billy cabinets with glass doors?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »
I was looking at those... but the broad trim bothers me. :/ I’d like something with an all-glass door if possible, instead of dual doors. I feel like the trim eats up a lot of display space. Or is that just how it looks in photos?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 09:59:34 PM »
You could get the Morliden doors for the Billy (instead of the usual Oxberg) and simply not put an insert behind the glass. Morlidens are sort of notoriously fiddly to hang though, so maybe not the best idea if you don't have a handy friend to help.

The Detolf cabinet is the typical all-glass option I see people use for collectibles.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 06:05:38 AM »
You could get the Morliden doors for the Billy (instead of the usual Oxberg) and simply not put an insert behind the glass. Morlidens are sort of notoriously fiddly to hang though, so maybe not the best idea if you don't have a handy friend to help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comments/6f5mob/13_of_my_classic_marvel_collection_need/

Would look similar to that..
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 06:07:18 AM by banditpony »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions! ^_^

I really like the Detolf. I wish there were a way to avoid the hefty shipping costs, but I suppose it’s understandable. What retailers sell IKEA in the U.S., besides the actual IKEA Centers?

The Morliden doors look nice, but I’m not so handy. XD I’d be a bit worried about ruining them during assembly...

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
If you’re on Facebook, keep an eye on the “marketplace”. Amazing what turns up on there.

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
If you get Detolf shelves, be careful as they have been known to spontaneously shatter.

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 06:48:45 PM »
If you get Detolf shelves, be careful as they have been known to spontaneously shatter.

Whoa! Seriously? Yikes

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 07:51:47 PM »
I have a Billy bookcase with the Morliden shelves. They are a bit weird to install, but it’s not that bad. It’s the hinges. They’re weird. It’s hard to describe. Just read the directions well, and have some help.  Once you figure out how they work, it’s not that hard.  You can get a lot of ponies in a Billy shelf! 

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »
You could build your own. Or see if a family member or friend could help you. You could measure how tall you want them and paint them yourself. Buy the supplies yourself. Might be cheeper that way. It wouldent be hard to assemble you just need someone to cut boards for you. Also home depot and lows provides that service of cutting boards too.
:accomplished:

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »

Wow. :shocked: I’m super hesitant to get them now, as I have cats who love to jump on things...

I have a Billy bookcase with the Morliden shelves. They are a bit weird to install, but it’s not that bad. It’s the hinges. They’re weird. It’s hard to describe. Just read the directions well, and have some help.  Once you figure out how they work, it’s not that hard.  You can get a lot of ponies in a Billy shelf! 

Hmm... That might be worth a shot. What are my odds of ruining the whole thing, if I mess something up? XD

You could build your own. Or see if a family member or friend could help you. You could measure how tall you want them and paint them yourself. Buy the supplies yourself. Might be cheeper that way. It wouldent be hard to assemble you just need someone to cut boards for you. Also home depot and lows provides that service of cutting boards too.

I’ve considered this, since it would be easier to get the perfect fit for my rooms... I had no idea Home Depot and Lowes would cut the boards for you! I’m hopeless with a hammer and nails, though. Seriously, it’s like watching Goofy try to build something on an old Disney cartoon. XP

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 03:01:26 AM »

Glass doors tho?

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »
I’d say if you’re going to do the Billy/Morliden thing, make sure you have an assistant.  Your chances of damaging things goes up exponentially if you’re trying to maneuver those awkward doors by yourself. 

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »

Whoa! Seriously? Yikes

It's not that it happens all the time but it's not unknown.  If you Google Detolf shelf shattering you'll see videos and photos come up.   Another MLP person on FB had it happen last week too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal