collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Stranger Things 3 Spoiler discussion thread  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Stranger Things 3 Spoiler discussion thread
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:46:03 PM »
*************Warning!  Here there be Spoilers! *************

I’d like to dispense with having to use spoiler tags in this thread so if you haven’t seen *all* of season 3 please come back after you have seen it.

Ok, so to start us off.  Am I the only one who thought the Never Ending story reference was epic?!    I’ve already gone back to watch that part a few times now and it just makes me smile and laugh every time.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Stranger Things 3 Spoiler discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:19:01 PM »
I sang along with Dustin and Suzie. XD That song always makes me smile. X3
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »
Because I have epilepsy and one of my triggers is strobe lights I have to watch episodes slowly but it is doable. So, I've only watched the first episode. Loved it, seems like the season is off to a great start.

Can I just say I love the warning about strobe lights at the start of the episode, more TV shows need to do that.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »
I watched the whole season in one sitting. It's probably my favorite season yet! The Neverending Story part got me so excited.

Erica is probably my favorite character in the whole series. I was cracking up at just about every part she was in. Plus she likes ponies so it's hard to dislike her.

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »
So do y’all think that Dustin is a secret pony fan? Or is it his new girlfriend that introduced him to mlp?

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 08:19:56 PM »
So do y’all think that Dustin is a secret pony fan? Or is it his new girlfriend that introduced him to mlp?

I feel like he's secretly a fan  :biggrin:

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 08:23:48 PM »

I feel like he's secretly a fan  :biggrin:

I agree. :D I think if it were supposed to be Suzie’s influence, there would have been ponies visible in her room. It might even be a subtle nod to the more recent brony subculture... and/or the fact that lots of boys liked MLP on the sly back in the 80s, too.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 11:44:34 PM »
We have seen six episodes so far and I love all the references.. but I don't recall any Neverending Story reference? Where was it, or has it not been yet? I loved the My Little Pony scene. Dustin is a nerd and he concluded that MLP is a nerdthing so if course he is a fan! :D

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 11:59:57 PM »
We have seen six episodes so far and I love all the references.. but I don't recall any Neverending Story reference? Where was it, or has it not been yet? I loved the My Little Pony scene. Dustin is a nerd and he concluded that MLP is a nerdthing so if course he is a fan! :D

It’s in the last episode... Trust me, you can’t miss it. :biggrin:

Offline Elva

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 02:33:27 AM »

I thought of this too! When Suzie wanted Dustin to do something on the radio and he was all awkward about it, I was like 100% sure they're going to sing something MLP related :biggrin: But I wasn't dissappointed in Neverending Stoooooo-ryyyyy being sung by them, it kinda made me cry.
I loved how much Dustin knew about MLP and how he "proved" that Erica was a nerd after all. It was a funy scene, I just love those two!

Sig by Strawberrysweets, thank you!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 05:25:52 AM »
Unpopular opinions and ranting...

every time this show hamfists the 80ness I just laugh. I don't find it charming.
The only comics Max reads are Wonder Woman? And they lie neatly draped over her sheets? Please :lol: Max would have read more than just the only female superhero movie nerds acknowledge nowadays.

With all the "Back to the Future" talk and the Neverending Story bit I was expecting a twist that included time travel or time loops but it was just there for the 80ness, or so it seems.
Unless
Spoiler
Hopper got teleported back in time in the end.

I loved that the mall was one huge set. The mall was honestly gorgeous and so detailed. It looked really great! You can see this show prints money because everything looked very good, special effects included.
Spoiler
It looked like the writers had learned from the criticism about there being no functioning female relationships in the show because not only did we get Max/El friendship but also an important mother/daughter moment. But then again Kali from last season was completely absent because that episode was universally hated for some reason. Kali/El was so important for El's growth and now Kali and the other gifted children are just not important anymore.
And for some reason Billy's crazed behaviour last season wasn't brought up as well. He was acting like a lunatic towards Lucas and Max but now Billy needed a redemption because fans loved him. This show is so fanservicy.

I hated Hopper and his outbursts this season and I did not cry at all at what happened to him. I did cry however at the super brief flashback to Bob. Damn. This show just wants Joyce to be as miserable as possible and loves killing off men as soon as they show vulnerability or softness.
Cases in point: the guy who finds El and gives her food and shelter, B O B, Alexi the only positive Russian character, Billy but only as soon as we see his childhood full of abuse, Hopper - allegedly - the moment Joyce starts liking him and we learn about his letter "post mortem" to really drive home the fact what an angel Hopper truly is.

So I admit I am not well versed in hetero shenanigans but usually when a grown adult man is constantly belittling and lying to a grown adult woman and she retaliates and they both scream at each other I am not inclined to believe they are in love.
I just knew Hopper/Joyce would happen eventually because they killed Bob, who was the perfect man for her. So predictable. With all the mess Joyce went through you'd think Hopper would relate to her but he kept going on and on about his dead daughter like Batman and his dead parents. Joyce lost Bob and Hopper was just happy she was available again to be his wife replacement.

I know this sounds like I hate Stranger Things :lol: I just wanted to rant because everyone is talking about Saint Billy and Saint Hopper and I just don't see them that way :lol:

I also did not realize Nancy's druggie BF was still in this. I am telling you, this guy will bite the dust next season. Why? Because he is Joyce's kid and Joyce only exists to suffer. Also the actor was worse than last season. Don't do drugs, kids.

More things I loved: Dustin's cuteness (he is best boy), Erica's smarts, all of Robin, Max/El bonding, that one moment Hopper wasn't a ragefilled idiot, Karen/Nancy moment, Billy flashback that explained his behaviour a tiny bit but I am still not hopping on the Saint Billy train :P
And of course: Erica being an MLP fan and rocking the watch and backpack. I am so tempted to get an Erica Funko Pop. She was the best recurring character and they should keep her in the main group going forward.

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »
Loved it! I seriously love this show. I came to the game late. I had never heard of it until last summer. My brother convinced me to watch it by telling me it was not scary. I binge watched both seasons hoping season 3 would be out LAST summer. Obviously that was not the case.

I actually just posted this on their FB page:

I loved season 3! You know I almost did not take a chance on this show, but my brother convinced me to watch it. He told me it was not scary because he knew I really did not like scary things. I binge watched the first two seasons last summer thinking season three was coming out. Then it didn't and I almost gave up. I was going to cancel my Netflix (because I really do not use it much) when I heard season three was coming out. I was NOT disappointed. Well, not with the show. I am disappointed that my brother could not watch it, we lost him at the end of January to stage four cancer. He would have absolutely loved this season, so you can imagine that I pretty much bawled through the finale. It is rare these days to feel so connected to a show, especially one whose cast is so young. Well my brother and I grew up in the 80's, so I can see myself in the kids. I am now a Mom, so I can see fragments of myself in the parents. The show is familiar, yet fresh and amazing. You invest in the characters, you almost become another citizen of Hawkins. The Duffer Brothers are a perfect mix of Geek, Fan Boy and Creator. The cast does an amazing job. Every single one of those kids is just phenomenal. The kid who plays Billy really deserves a standing ovation. It is not often you cry for a villain. Looking forward to Stranger Things 4, I hope my brother Gary is watching from heaven.

One of my favorite characters this season was Billy. He was such a d-bag last season and now we know why and it is just heart breaking. It just goes to show you cannot judge a book by its cover. I did not have the best childhood and I grew up with an abusive Father, but unlike Billy it made me want to be a better person. I did not become a statistic like him. In the end though I am glad he was redeemed.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:58:05 PM by Icey »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »
Icey: I’m so sorry for the loss of your brother... Perhaps, as you said, he is watching the show with you from a better place. :hug: :hug: :hug:

In season 2, I absolutely couldn’t stand Billy. He reminded me unpleasantly of various toxic people I have known in passing, and whose words and actions have hurt me. I was initially disappointed that Billy had returned prominently in season 3, but I’m very satisfied with the way he was handled. In the end, we see the root of his behavior, and where he learned it. It doesn’t make anything he did OKAY, and it doesn’t mean he never had a choice to be a better human being... but it does make him sympathetic.

I have known many people who survived similarly terrible circumstances... Some became wonderful, caring people with a strong sense of compassion and empathy. Those people were incredible friends, and taught me so much about life, and finding the good in the world. Others became some of the toxic individuals I mentioned earlier... But though I have had to distance myself from those toxic people for my own well-being, I never stop feeling sympathy for them. And I never stop hoping that one day they, too, might find a way to change for the better. So I’m also glad that Billy was redeemed, albeit at the very end.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:36:52 PM by Nemesis »

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 06:28:58 PM »
Wow, I watched all three seasons in the span of two weeks.  I started watching when I heard about the ST Applejack.  I am so glad I did.The show is awesome and I love it.  I love the 80s and it brought back a lot of memories. I wish I watched it sooner.  I cried at the end of the last episode, I didn't think they would kill Hopper.  Billy was a great character.  And the actor who plays him is really hot! I wish he could have had a little more time after apologizing to Max.  I don't like the fact that Joyce and family moved away, but I guess it made for a more emotional ending.  Suzie was a fun character as well.  The duet was so sweet.  I really loved Robin and all the Scoops Away parts.  Robin added so much and she was very funny.  I was thinking maybe she and Steve would end up together, but her being lesbian added depth to her character.    Being in a 80s mall is like a dream of mine.  I would like to travel back in time and hang out in one for a week.  So I loved all the scenes in the mall.  I really hope they make another season. 
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 06:36:35 PM »
I’m so sorry to hear about your brother, Icey :(  But I’m glad you have good memories of him and can still enjoy something y’all enjoyed together.

On a different note, any speculation on who the “American” is in the end credit scene?  I feel like it is Hopper.  Or at least, I’ll be very upset if Hopper isn’t back next season.  Maybe he wasn’t at his best this season but I adore his father/daughter relationship with El.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal