collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Basic Fun SDCC Majesty  (Read 9729 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Fun SDCC Majesty
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »
*shrug*  she's interesting.  I could live with her on my wall.  I could also live without her.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »
Do we really need more Sundances?  :P

Noooooo...

Did we need more Peachys?
I rest my case xD. At least if they did M&S this way they'd be limited xD.

@LAW - Of course, the shipping from store homes to international sites like this begin at $50, usually. When it was the MH Ghoulia and Cleo set (admittedly Mattel) they were offering free shipping inside the US and Canada and $50 and up everywhere else. It actually cost less for me to have it shipped to a US friend with the free shipping who then shipped it here for half that price.

Companies scalp internationals. Just another fun fact being a collector outside the US :/

I'm not sure I'm ready to put down $70 on a weird Majesty. I just feel like if this is the only time Majesty will be released, it was really off to release her as an SDCC pony, so that people in the country where she mattered can't go to stores and buy her. (For me it's a matter of principle thing, as thus far they've paid some attention to the collecting community, but this time they've really not).

Or they think Majesty is more popular in the US than she is because of the brony Majesty citing. A lot of that gets cited as "In G1 canon", when it's actually, "in the UK". And if so it may well be Hasbro pushed it to be Majesty too, because that connection with Celestia could be there, and bronies are interested in her. Hasbro are concerned more with G4, so that would make sense. In any case, it was a fail.

As you guys said, there are other ponies you guys find iconic.

A remake of the movie Firefly (they have her pose, right?) with some kind of variation theme would've been a good choice too.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:45:42 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »

Noooooo...

Also nooooo!

Taffeta, a thought.
Maybe whomever tries to snatch the ST Applejack for you (x2), can also get this one (if you'd like her-- I'm not sure you do tho) off of Hasbro pulse. Because my thought is that she will be available for a little bit there. Shipping for 3 ponies is gonna be the same as 2.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2019, 04:47:19 PM »

Noooooo...

Also nooooo!

Taffeta, a thought.
Maybe whomever tries to snatch the ST Applejack for you (x2), can also get this one (if you'd like her-- I'm not sure you do tho) off of Hasbro pulse. Because my thought is that she will be available for a little bit there. Shipping for 3 ponies is gonna be the same as 2.

I think the ST AJ thing is resolved already, as a kind soul has offered to help us out :D I'm not going to put anyone under more hassle to do that, not right at the moment. Having ponypeople willing to help is amazing, but it';s also extra stress for those people and so I don't like to take advantage of other people's kindness too much.

To be honest, its as I said before - the principle of the thing.

If it were a more normal Majesty I'd be absolutely spitting real feathers, not just verbal ones. It gives me hope that Lilija is right and we'll get a proper one at some point.

I suppose if they'd wanted to be really brave they could've done a non US pony as an SDCC exclusive. I wonder what kind of a meltdown that would've caused if it had suddenly turned out to be something random like Gypsy....

It just occurred to me they missed the opportunity to do Majesty-and-Spike.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:49:53 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 05:03:02 PM »
ooooh, Spike would be cute. I wonder what they'll do for him, if they do ever make him? So far they've reused Strawberry Shortcake molds for the pets, but SSC doesn't have any dragons, right? Hmm. Er, but I'm wandering off-topic a bit.

Would anyone have preferred if the exclusive had been a reproduction of a rarer pony that wouldn't have been in the retro line otherwise? Like a mail order, international exclusive, or maybe even something based on a prototype/unreleased character. Or do you think it's better to do something "artistic" like this?

I can't decide. Like Jorgito93 said, this way's better because then no one gets screwed out of something amazing and awesome - I don't think this one'll be too hard to get online later (I don't see her going for $300 or whatever - I mean of course someone'll try and sell her for that :p but you know what I mean; I don't see her being another SDCC Ditzy or anything). Now if it was a new character, say, then that would suck for anyone that's unable to get a hold of her.

On the other hand, like Lilja said, if they did make a cool new pony - like say, the rainbow pony from RaMC, or, idk, the Celestials/Fairy Brights - on the one hand, it'd suck because they'd be difficult to get a hold of, supplies would be limited, etc... but it would still exist. So I dunno how I feel about that idea. I think it'd be nice if Basic Fun made new characters (or old chars in new poses, or whatever), and yeah it'd be disappointing if it was a SDCC-exclusive, but if it exists, well, I can always save up...

But I think right now my answer is "I'm glad it's something I don't want", because most of my fun money is going towards a different collection right now :silly:

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
Or they think Majesty is more popular in the US than she is because of the brony Majesty citing. A lot of that gets cited as "In G1 canon", when it's actually, "in the UK". And if so it may well be Hasbro pushed it to be Majesty too, because that connection with Celestia could be there, and bronies are interested in her. Hasbro are concerned more with G4, so that would make sense. In any case, it was a fail.

Is Majesty really that unpopular in the US? She's in several US books, made appearances in stories all the way up to at least year 6 (possibly the only G1 character to do so in US stories?) and was later rereleased as a mail order. Not to mention she's tied to the most popular playset ever. Aren't the playset ponies generally pretty fondly remembered, since a lot of kids had them?

Either way, I don't think Basic Fun chose her because of Celestia in order to appeal to bronies. It's probably more because she's one of the few early G1 characters they haven't made yet, which makes her special at this moment. It remains to be seen if they make a regular version later. I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility (the question is how they would go about it. Since Dream Castle is probably not feasible)

Offline Zargata

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • KABOOM!
    • View Profile
    • http://Ogrebattle.weebly.com
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 05:24:12 PM »
Hard pass. I really wish they gave her eyes.

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 06:24:25 PM »
Oh man, I love her! She's gorgeous and I just adore that TAF kind of design on her! I do think she would be prettier with eyes, though.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 07:05:14 PM »
Did we need more Peachys? No. No we didn't. (OTOH my daughter loves her BF Peachy.)

Points conceded on cost. And I didn't know companies scalped international releases. How sucky. I was just trying to see a bright side to her ho-hum reception. Guess I failed on that front. ^^;

@Lilja I wouldn't say Majesty's unpopular. Maybe more in the middle. Perhaps a bit lost in the shuffle of 10 years worth of an amazing toyline. I'm sure she is special to many who had DC as a child or even as an adult. But not everyone had her, not everyone had books, not everyone is going to connect to every single pony design for whatever reason. Plus, SDCC Majesty looks a little strange with her excessive TAF markings and no eyeballs.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:21:35 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
She looks like she accidentally wandered into a room that was being renovated by Mr. Bean...
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2019, 09:43:44 PM »
I think this is the perfect choice for the SDCC exclusive. If she had been regular Majesty we'd all be super upset that she's so hard to get. I think they will release a regular Majesty at some point and this is a nice artsy bonus pony but not a must have. I will definitely try to get her if she's available afterwards but won't be upset if I can't get one. I'm also super glad it's not a rare pony that they made. Please save those for mass release so we can all get one.

Is Majesty really that unpopular in the US? She's in several US books, made appearances in stories all the way up to at least year 6 (possibly the only G1 character to do so in US stories?) and was later rereleased as a mail order. Not to mention she's tied to the most popular playset ever. Aren't the playset ponies generally pretty fondly remembered, since a lot of kids had them?

Personally I think Majesty is pretty iconic in North America. We didn't all base our play on the movies or episodes. She's super iconic from coming with Dream Castle. I know she was the queen of my herd as a kid.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2019, 10:33:06 PM »
There's a big difference between being a well loved toy with a popular playset and being iconic in my opinion. I mean, I had baby tiddly winks and baby half note and their playsets too as a kid. Did I love them? Yes. Did I play with them all the time? Yes. Do I consider them iconic to G1 MLP in the UK now? No.

There's also a huge difference with how she's presented in media and used in general in North America compared to her role over here.

She's not in every single story in the UK either. But she is the lynchpin of the UK G1 world and is actually written as such. In N. America the castle is more iconic and important than Majesty is in the bigger picture, hence how she's dumped out of ever being in the animated specials and such, even when the castle appears.

In the UK she was released I think in around 1985 till around 1988, but she was still appearing in the stories up to 1991 and 1992, before MLP Tales happened.

Pics mostly borrowed from wiki.

Comic 1 (1985)
http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/thumb/4/4c/MLP001_01.jpg/424px-MLP001_01.jpg

Summer special 1991
http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/thumb/c/c3/Summer_special91.jpg/424px-Summer_special91.jpg

and 1992
http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/thumb/5/5a/Summer_special_1992.jpg/450px-Summer_special_1992.jpg

Even as late as 1990 she was still being presented as essentially the founder of Ponyland (though Spike was there before her) and the leader of the ponies (whose coming was foretold!) - this one is my image so you can blame me for the quality ;)
Spoiler

She's in a whole host of the story books, from the Stolen Shadow to the Trolls and the Castle of Darkness to the bewitched basket. Eg:
http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/thumb/7/7e/Book2.jpg/450px-Book2.jpg

She appeared on several colouring and activity book covers. Eg:

http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/thumb/7/71/PlayPadMajesty.jpg/452px-PlayPadMajesty.jpg

Also sticker books.

She's part of the Dream Castle room mobile (actually right now she's the only part of mine I can find >.>) I can't find a photo right now that shows it well, but she's part of it.

She doesn't just appear on covers of things, she appears in many many comic and book stories, she ran the letters page in the comics for the most part (kids would write their letters to Majesty).

She also 'ran' the My Little Pony club in the UK. She was on the club membership badges as well, till 1989, and was still writing the newsletters right through till the 1990s.

http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/thumb/4/45/91-activity-newsletter-2.jpg/436px-91-activity-newsletter-2.jpg

There's not really a comparison.

Incidentally, I'm not aware of her being in that many North American story books. I know she's in at least one, but I've never seen her in any of the others I have. Glory has a whole spoken word cassette story and Ember had one too, but I never saw any of those things for Majesty (who is on many spoken word and book stories here). If she is in them, she doesn't seem to have had a major or memorable presence. I remember Glory losing her horn. I don't have a clue what Majesty did in any of the US stories. o.O.

Selling well as a toy is something you can apply to many many different ponies in the line. That makes them popular. Maybe loved. It doesn't make them iconic.

As for the brony thing, it's fact that Majesty has more interest for her comic persona among bronies than many other g1 ponies do. It might be a coincidence that that's why she was chosen, but it seems suspiciously possible to me being that Hasbro are also involved. Current Hasbro are not very interested in G1 or the retros in general...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:57:36 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2019, 12:55:06 AM »
Creepy, but I want one so bad! Too bad I'm nowhere near SD... I wonder if I know anyone who's going that could grab one for me. There's always ebay I guess. :)

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2019, 01:40:58 AM »
She is way too overdone. I would have like it if they had just made her a TAF Majesty. Simple and fun! Fortunately for my checkbook they didn't!!

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2019, 01:46:20 AM »
She looks like she accidentally wandered into a room that was being renovated by Mr. Bean...

That's what I thought exactly! I love this episode with him.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal