collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Basic Fun SDCC Majesty  (Read 9679 times)

Offline MysticalGypsy

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Fun SDCC Majesty
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 09:39:39 AM »
She is interesting to say the least imho
Something different.
Can anyone tell me when the comic con is?
~*Formerly known as BlackIris*~
*** Thanks  ponymaker for my Gypsy blinkie! ***

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 09:40:37 AM »
She is interesting to say the least imho
Something different.
Can anyone tell me when the comic con is?

July 18 - 21
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 09:54:46 AM »
     I like the design. Just think of it as twice as fancy but a bit extra. I do kind of wish they gave her eyes. She looks cool, but I think eyes would be better.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline cottoncandycafe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • small plastic horse enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • my pony tumblr
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
she's okay, (not that i have any chance of getting her >_>) but i wish she had eyes and kind of think she looks like a louis vuitton handbag.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
I.. uh.. wow.. definitely not a fan of this.  :shocked:

But I guess it's kinda cool that they consider the line big enough to give it a SDCC exclusive (and that they made said exclusive something easily skippable instead of a cool new character or w/e :p). Hope everyone that wants one can get one.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »
I love her!!! I definitely think she's weird, but in a fun way. I'm hoping I can get my hands on two.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 12:30:54 PM »
This Majesty isn’t for me as I feel the TAF look is overdone on her and the fact that her eyes are unpainted. :shocked:   but I’m happy for those that like her.

I do wish that BF would release a more faithful retro Majesty worldwide so everyone would have a chance to own one. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
Would anyone have preferred if the exclusive had been a reproduction of a rarer pony that wouldn't have been in the retro line otherwise? Like a mail order, international exclusive, or maybe even something based on a prototype/unreleased character. Or do you think it's better to do something "artistic" like this?

Then again, if they wanted to make something more wild and eye catching, why base it so heavily on an existing character? Why not go all the way and make something truly creative and unrestrained? After all, this is basically just Majesty with her symbol multiplied all over her body and no eyes. I'm trying to understand the thought process behind this. Who is the main target audience this is meant to appeal to? The ST Applejack made more sense to me as a concept.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:09:19 PM by Lilja »

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »
Would anyone have preferred if the exclusive had been a reproduction of a rarer pony that wouldn't have been in the retro line otherwise? Like a mail order, international exclusive, or maybe even something based on a prototype/unreleased character. Or do you think it's better to do something "artistic" like this?

Then again, if they wanted to make something more wild and eye catching, why base it so heavily on an existing character? Why not go all the way and make something truly creative and unrestrained? After all, this is basically just Majesty with her symbol multiplied all over her body and no eyes. I'm trying to understand the thought process behind this. Who is the main target audience this is meant to appeal to? The ST Applejack made more sense to me as a concept.
It's better to be this way because this is a variant that most people won't be interested in, which is perfect for an sdcc exclusive. A rare pony repro would've been a wrong move because a lot of people wouldn't be able to get it.Plus that way they can still sell regular majesty as a normal release.

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »
It's better to be this way because this is a variant that most people won't be interested in, which is perfect for an sdcc exclusive. A rare pony repro would've been a wrong move because a lot of people wouldn't be able to get it

Well ok, but I don't think it was Basic Fun's intention to make an exclusive that no one would want. And even if something is really hard to get, it still must be better that it exists rather than not, no?

An exclusive is a good opportunity to do something with a limited market appeal. A rare/obscure pony might appeal to collectors, but not really to casual nostalgics who likely would not remember it.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 03:49:06 PM »
Im not really into her tbh, which might be good cause she is so exclusive.
Same here. Maybe it's her lack of eyes....

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »
Love her! She's so cool, I'm excited to be getting artsy exclusive again instead of Pinkie Pie in legwarmers... :accomplished:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »
It's better to be this way because this is a variant that most people won't be interested in, which is perfect for an sdcc exclusive. A rare pony repro would've been a wrong move because a lot of people wouldn't be able to get it

Well ok, but I don't think it was Basic Fun's intention to make an exclusive that no one would want. And even if something is really hard to get, it still must be better that it exists rather than not, no?

An exclusive is a good opportunity to do something with a limited market appeal. A rare/obscure pony might appeal to collectors, but not really to casual nostalgics who likely would not remember it.

My fear is that it was influenced by the "Celestia" aspect of G4...that they saw Majesty as a potential crossover unicorn who might appeal to G1 and G4 fans without being to exactly like the original Majesty.

My worry is we won't get a regular one because if the parlour isn't selling, DC seems like a risk. I would rather buy Lemon Drop and Majesty - especially Majesty - in boxes without playsets, but if this is the only Majesty release they do then it's a bit poor for pretty much everyone.

I said before that she's not going to be available in the places she mattered most and it's true. But she's also not going to be available for millions of people in the country of release. It may be that she's not popular because she's weird and all. Then again, if that does turn out to be the only Majesty release we get...

...I will feel pretty robbed.

Majesty was a childhood pony for me and I read about her in the comics often. I really hope we'll get a proper one globally some time down the line. I don't personally need the sdcc one, the flower pox is weird to me - I just don't like that of all ponies it was Majesty they chose.

If they had chosen a rarer pony I think it would've created a bigger meltdown because one of the key themes that keeps coming up among collectors is the desire for BF to recreate expensive ponies so they can buy them cheaply.

BUT they could have found someone more iconic in the American line, I'm sure, than a pony who had barely any story appearances and who was flat cut out of the movie.

Megan and Sundance in the Country Jamboree outfit would've been a good choice because there's always scope later on to make Megan and Sundance in their store wear, and the CJ outfit was sold here as a set but not over there. It's also what Megan wears most in the animation so surely far more nostalgic and significant? They could have jazzed up Sundance with glittery symbols or something as well.

That would've made way more sense for a US convention release. I just can't help but think it's because of Celestia :/ and the sense they'll snare two fanbases because for some reason a lot of bronies know broad strokes about Uk comic Majesty without knowing much of the detail, so she's probably more recognised by bronies as a key character than she is G1 fans outside of the UK.

Just my cynicism at work, but they are making these to sell.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
Do we really need more Sundances?  :P I mean I like her and all, but we did get one in The Loyal Subjects line.

If they were trying to snag both g1 and g4 fans, ponies like Firefly, Posey or maybe even Gusty, given her recent mention, would make more sense. Tbh, I seldom hear them talking about Majesty, and I hear them chatting more about Firefly and Posey. Keep in mind this is just my experience and others peeps experiences obviously vary.

The only reason I can think of, is that DC is an iconic playset/location and that's why they picked Majesty. That's just my personal theory for whatever its worth.

And since her reveal reception is mixed to unenthusiastic its a possibility that there will be leftover stock, so you guys may be able to have someone snag you one from Hasbro Pulse.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:27:08 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
Do we really need more Sundances?  :P

Noooooo...