collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toy Story 4 Discussion and kind of review SPOILERS  (Read 925 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Toy Story 4 Discussion and kind of review SPOILERS
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Alright so here's basically going to be my post about Toy Story 4 and my opinions on it. Spoilers ahead (of course I'll put everything in a spoiler bubble thingy) and also I apologize if there was already a topic on this made but I didn't see any? Although I may have just missed it. Feel free to put your thoughts below if you saw it as I'm curious to see what other people think. Also it isn't so much a review more as getting my thoughts out there. So yeah :P
Spoiler
So I saw this movie on Friday with my boyfriend and as far as I know it was it's first week being out this week, however if I'm wrong please correct me because our theatre often gets movies a week after they have already opened around the world. I should also mention now that I don't really have too much of a connection with the Toy Story series. I never watched the first one to completion because it scared me as a child and I've never had the courage to watch it again, I did see the second one which made me cry, I also saw the third one which made me sad but didn't wow me as much as the second one. I did feel like that was a nice end to the series, as many other people did to. However, it wasn't as we all know now.
So what did I think of the polarizing Toy Story 4? Well I did like it. It is a very good movie and certainly much better than the movies studios like Illumination are putting out, both animation-wise and story wise. I'm telling you, there are so many well animated scenes in this movie it's just stunning. At some points it's hard to tell the animated parts from real life. There's this scene with a cat and I actually thought it was a real life cat until I remembered this was an animated movie. There were some changes I was not too keen on, like the Bo Peep redesign. No, not her outfit change, her facial change. As you might've noticed, Bo had her face heavily changed. Whether this was to make her more appealing to the audience, to make it easier to make dolls out of her, or just to make it easier to animate facial expressions I do not know, however I'm not a fan. I feel like her old design was much more of a classic porcelain doll look. It looked a lot more accurate, and her design was pretty unique. Now she just has the generic modern Disney face that Anna, Elsa, and the re-designed Disney princesses in Wreck it Ralph have. It also makes it rather jarring when you're going from the original movies to this movie and you see such a big change. It's like when they completely changed Tony's facial structure from the original Incredibles to Incredibles 2. Very distracting and sometimes took me out of the movie. Also, and this might be just an issue for me, but because of her redesigned facial structure, she lost some of her porcelain effect to her, now it looks more like she's made of that really shiny plastic they sometimes use for doll's arms and bodies (if you know what I'm talking about).
As for actual Bo in the movie, I found her to be quite enjoyable. She was totally awesome whenever she did one of her stunts and I find her clothes swap interesting, although a bit of me will always prefer her poofy dress (but that's not practical for a "lost toy" on the run, now is it?  ;) ). I will say sometimes I do think she was a bit too rough around the edges sometimes, but I think that also could just be because she was hardened living on the run and stuff. Her little Polly Pocket-esc friend (I can't remember her name exactly so for the rest of this I'm going to call her Giggles since that's what I do remember of her name) did make a comment saying something along the lines of "I didn't know you (Bo Peep) had a soft spot", which is a nice explanation to her acting the way she did.
Something I thought was very interesting happened all the way at the very beginning. Woody almost, almost left Andy to be with Bo which I thought was very sweet. I never thought I'd see the day when Woody would come that close to leaving Andy. That scene really made me see how much Bo meant to Woody.
Since I already brought up Giggles before, I guess I'll bring her up now; I did not like her very much. Yes she did have some funny moments and everything, but I mostly found her to be kind of annoying and rude. There's this part (specifically after Bo and Woody get into their big fight) where she's talking about how right Bo was to leave from Woody and everything and is just trash talking him. I know the purpose of that was to make Bo realize how much she loves Woody for his flaws and everything, but it just made me really dislike Giggles.
Speaking of characters I dislike, I was not a fan of the two prizes from the carnival (the rabbit and the duck) or the Canada biker action figure dude. I found them all to be rather annoying and the Canadian biker man to be a bit of a re-hash of Ken from the previous movie. I mean he's not an exact copy, but there are some connections that can be made. The two stuffed animals often ruined the flow of the movie for me and I found their interruptions to be VERY annoying. I would've liked them better if they were more toned down.
Now I know this might make it seem like I hated all the new characters, but I didn't. In fact, I thought Forky was a very cute and funny character. I was rooting for him the whole time, and the chemistry between him and Woody was nice.
This movie also introduced one of my favorite characters so far in the whole series: Gabby Gabby. Gabby Gabby (who I will now just call Gabby for simplicities sake) is a doll who is supposed to be like Chatty Cathy and is the "main villain" of this movie. She came out of the factory with a broken voice box, so when she finds out Woody has one that works, she wants his. In an effort to get his voice box, she has her goons (who are like the old ventriloquist dolls, not dissimilar to the one from Goosebumps) capture Forky. It's also important to mention that she resides in an antique shop owned by an old lady. The old lady has a granddaughter named Harmony who Gabby dreams of being played with, but in order to let Harmony see her she has to have a working voice box. Eventually Woody agrees to give Gabby his voicebox after Gabby explains why she wants his voicebox so bad (in a scene that made me tear up) and when Gabby tries to impress Harmony...she dismisses her. That scene made me gasp so loud and feel so much for Gabby. Gabby becomes upset and Woody tries to cheer her up and in the process realizes there are more than just one kid in the world to please.
As they're all on the quest to get back to Bonnie's camper, Gabby spots a lost girl who's afraid and needs comfort. Gabby ends up comforting the girl in a scene that made me cry. (ironically it made me cry more than the ending scene where Woody separates from the gang) I also really like Gabby's musical motifs and everything. It always makes me feel some pity for the poor doll who I relate to in a lot of ways.
Also yes, Woody does split from the gang in a scene that, while done pretty decently and had a lot of heart, felt rather rushed.
Speaking of the gang, they aren't really in this that much. It's odd having Mr. Potato Head being so silent, but I know of course why they'd have to do that. There was one line he got, which I'm pretty sure they had archived from a previous installment in the serious so, at least he got one line. Jessie was hardly in this movie and neither the other toys besides Buzz. Now, Buzz wasn't really in the movie a lot either, but he did get a bigger part than what the others got. I just wish there would've been more Buzz and Woody interactions though, there wasn't that many in this movie...
Also I find it odd how Bonnie just suddenly doesn't like playing with Woody anymore. She was absolutely smitten with him in the last movie, and now she's just tossing him aside? I guess children do change their favorite toys quickly, but it just felt odd. Let's just hope Andy doesn't ever come to visit their house for whatever reason.  ;) It does make me wonder how Bonnie feels about Woody suddenly being gone. I'm sure at some point she'd notice since sometimes kids do come back to toys they previously cast aside for a while.
At the end of the day, my boyfriend and I both left the theatre teary eyed. This movie really was a good movie. Was it necessary? I'm not exactly sure. On the one hand, I was perfectly content with the ending of the third movie. On the other hand, I was really curious to see what happened to Bo Peep. So should you see this movie? If you are a fan of the Toy Story series, I'd say yes. If you don't really like the series, I don't really see this movie changing your mind. This movie was funny and had a lot of heart though, so if you like movies like that I'd recommend seeing it, but I'd advice watching the previous films before to get the full experience.
Also did anyone else see the Tin Toy reference? Clever stuff Pixar, clever stuff.

also I'm lowkey upset there wasn't an after credits scene with Barbie and Ken, although there wouldn't really eb a point in it, Barbie and Ken are just my two favorite characters of all time. Although, maybe if Barbie and Bo could have a talk about what it's like to have their kid part with them...that might've been interesting.

Anyway what did you guys think? Who was your favorite character and did you enjoy the movie? Tell me please, I haven't gotten to hear many opinions yet since the movie just released.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Story 4 Discussion and kind of review SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 03:09:32 AM »
I agree with you, a good movie, but was it necessary?
All the reviews said to get ready to cry, but other than Gabby's sad scene, nothing really got me.
Toy Story 3, I couldn't stop the tears!  The incinerator scene and Andy/Bonnie scene from 3, to me, are two of the best and emotional scenes in the series.

And I did not like the end scene with Ducky and Bunny.  I feel that could scare small children.
But it on its own, it was a good movie, but not my favorite of the series.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 06:08:20 AM »
Best TS movie in my opinion. But I never cared much for 3. I hated the entire "boy toys hate Ken because he is for girls" subplot. That felt like the writers were projecting their own insecurities :lol:

All the reviews said to get ready to cry, but other than Gabby's sad scene, nothing really got me.
Toy Story 3, I couldn't stop the tears!  The incinerator scene and Andy/Bonnie scene from 3, to me, are two of the best and emotional scenes in the series.

And I did not like the end scene with Ducky and Bunny.  I feel that could scare small children.

People are different. I did not cry at any of the TS movies but the last scene of 4 finally did me in because it was a really nice send-off, imo.

Also, people like me who liked Bo Peep and did NOT like how she was relegated to damsel in distress and then removed without fanfare because she was literally decoration in the previous movies were really happy with her finally getting time to shine. And in a very organic way, imo. That was necessary because Pixar has a bad track record with how they used to write female characters.

Pixar sequels that weren't necessary: Monsters Uni and Cars 2. They did nothing new with their characters and were just Lasseter wallowing in his 60s nostalgia.

Of course we will never know how great the movie could have been without the typical Pixar meddling, but they left enough good Bo Peep scenes in to satisfy me.

What I did not like was the oversaturation of characters just so they have more merch to sell.
Spoiler
Ducky and Bunny were almost Olaf levels of grating to me. They were just plush versions of their voice actors Key and Peele.
Then there was that Polly Pocket character that at least provided the role of friend to Bo Peep. So I can let that one slide. But Ducky and Bunny were just there to be additional jokes and we already had those with the spork thing.

I personally did not think that one scene was too creepy. The first one had a similar one when the toys turned against the cruel kid. The way the toys looked was creepy enough. As a kid I hated that baby head on a robotic spider body. So yeah, that tone was already set.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:46:35 PM »
I do like Bo and knowing what happened to her.  When Woody was talking to her about a toy's loyalty to its kid I expected Bo to retort "what about Bonnie's loyalty to ME!  She got rid of me!"

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »
I do like Bo and knowing what happened to her.  When Woody was talking to her about a toy's loyalty to its kid I expected Bo to retort "what about Bonnie's loyalty to ME!  She got rid of me!"

I was waiting for a scene like that to happen as well! Woody was talking so much about being loyal to their kid and how he was loyal to Andy and now Bonnie, I thought it might get to Bo a little. Like maybe a snapping point, a scene where she's allowed to be sensitive. Maybe something like "Well not all of us had an owner like Andy who was loyal to us as well", or maybe even something like "Not all of us could be the favorite toy" which maybe also could've led to Woody mentioning how he's not Bonnie's favorite and then maybe Bo would suggest he should leave then? Idk, but I was just expecting some more emotion out of Bo than what we got.
Best TS movie in my opinion. But I never cared much for 3. I hated the entire "boy toys hate Ken because he is for girls" subplot. That felt like the writers were projecting their own insecurities :lol:

People are different. I did not cry at any of the TS movies but the last scene of 4 finally did me in because it was a really nice send-off, imo.

Also, people like me who liked Bo Peep and did NOT like how she was relegated to damsel in distress and then removed without fanfare because she was literally decoration in the previous movies were really happy with her finally getting time to shine. And in a very organic way, imo. That was necessary because Pixar has a bad track record with how they used to write female characters.

Pixar sequels that weren't necessary: Monsters Uni and Cars 2. They did nothing new with their characters and were just Lasseter wallowing in his 60s nostalgia.

Of course we will never know how great the movie could have been without the typical Pixar meddling, but they left enough good Bo Peep scenes in to satisfy me.

What I did not like was the oversaturation of characters just so they have more merch to sell.
Spoiler
Ducky and Bunny were almost Olaf levels of grating to me. They were just plush versions of their voice actors Key and Peele.
Then there was that Polly Pocket character that at least provided the role of friend to Bo Peep. So I can let that one slide. But Ducky and Bunny were just there to be additional jokes and we already had those with the spork thing.

I personally did not think that one scene was too creepy. The first one had a similar one when the toys turned against the cruel kid. The way the toys looked was creepy enough. As a kid I hated that baby head on a robotic spider body. So yeah, that tone was already set.
Agreed with Ducky and Bunny being on Olaf levels of annoying. I'm just glad they aren't in the whole movie.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 04:45:43 AM »
I liked it and cried at the end (not as much as TS3). the only part I didn't like was the ventriloquist dummies they freak me out any way so :yikes:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »
I just saw this movie today.  :) I've never really liked the first Toy Story movie but I did enjoy 2 and love Toy Story 3. This one is probably my 2nd favorite of the sereis.

Spoiler
I went in with really low expectations based on the previews so I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I really liked finding out what happened to Bo Peep and that she wasn't thrown away because she was broken or sold at a garage sale.

The dummies were a little creepy to me but no more than the scenes in Up.

The thing that I disliked most about the movie was the fact that Woody gave his working voice box to Gabby. I know he did it because he wanted Gabby to have a chance at being loved by a child, but what if Bonnie had wanted to play with him again and his voice box was broken?  I'm also suprised that Bo Peep didn't mention the fact that not all kids are as loyal to their toys as Andy since Molly gave her away. Also it seems that Woody resigned himself to the fact that Bonnie would never play with him again

I enjoyed Forky a lot more than I thought I would.  :lol:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal