collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you bird?  (Read 8910 times)

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Do you bird?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »
I love seeing birds! I have a bird book that has the songs of many birds and I love it! It has helped me identify various birds just by their songs, like the Western Scrub Jay. I hear that one a lot. One of my favorites to see is the Steller's Jay.

Offline CharmingBirthday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
Yeah!! I'm pretty new to it as a hobby, but I like reading Birdlife and watching local birds.

My partners mum is super into birding, and all field naturalist kind of stuff. She's a horticulturalist specializing in natives (I'm Australian) so the garden is designed to attract birds. They also live right next to a re-vegetation zone with a lake so its easy to not only see parrots but waterbirds. I'm starting to learn about the migratory birds.

Around the house here we get heaps of grass parrots (Psephotus haematonotus), corellas, galahs, eastern rosellas, mudlarks, blue faced honey eaters, wattlebirds, noisy friar birds, white-winged choughs (Corcorax melanorhamphos) and of course magpies. Nearby you can find spotted pardalotes, butcherbirds, kookaburras, welcome swallows, blue wrens, the beautiful and shy bronzewing pidgeons (Phaps chalcoptera)...

Visiting the lake recently are pelicans, little and greater egrets, chestnut teal (Anas castanea), cormorants, darters, freckled ducks (Stictonetta naevosa)

I've been out to some hotspots with them to watch for the birds that don't like disturbed areas too. I've seen some white browed babblers, shrikes, red capped robins, gang-gang cockatoos! And lots of little ones I can't remember the names of.

We have beautiful birds of prey too. You often see wedge tailed eagles flying around, and square tailed kites. There are a few hawks, kites and little falcons in Victoria.

I'm not an active 'bird watcher' as such, but I do love observing the birds on my walks. Here in New Zealand we have some stunning birdlife. I was chuffed to see some Royal Spoonbills the other day (google them, they have these crazy beaks :) ) and I utterly adore birdsong, especially our native Tui.

How lucky!! I would love to travel to NZ and spend enough time there to see some of the birds.
Royal Spoonbills used to spend some time in the creek adjacent too my grandparents property when I was a child. They're very special too see, I remember watching them in first light among the river red gum wetlands... haven't seen them for many years.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:50:15 PM by CharmingBirthday »
❀  I'm g3supreme on Tumblr!  ❀
My G3 Collection (on snupps)

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Does feeding sparrows with french fries on the patio in front of a McDonald's count?
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlueCherry

• Fakie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2019, 03:05:27 AM »
I love birds and bird watching  :biggrin: I live in Sweden and in the spring, when the ice is melting from the lakes, I usually go to these towers that they have placed near the lakes that are for bird watching  :) you get a really good view of the area from up there  :D

I wish I could feed birds outside my window, but my landlord don't allow bird feeding unfortunatly   :cloud:

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
Saw a magpie while I was on holiday plus sparrows, starlings, and a robin, plus seagulls (annoying loud mouths).

Took pictures of the sparrows and starlings, and I swear one of the sparrows was posing for a picture.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »
My sister threw out a chunk of old ham in the yard. We thought the vultures would get it but a HUGE eagle came and took the whole piece and flew off with it :lol: I think it was a juvenile Bald Eagle but I'm not quite sure.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »
My sister threw out a chunk of old ham in the yard. We thought the vultures would get it but a HUGE eagle came and took the whole piece and flew off with it :lol: I think it was a juvenile Bald Eagle but I'm not quite sure.

Well on holiday in Great Yarmouth there was this thing near the market with birds like owls, eagle, and Australian bird (can’t think of the name).

I saw the eagle eat a mouse (luckily my mum didn’t see it otherwise she would of screamed. She stayed away with Honey in her dog stroller because dogs won’t allowed near them).

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
We have a lovely variety around here.
Cardinals, Bluejays, Orioles, sparrows, finches, humming birds, robins, pelicans, ducks, canadian geese, pheasants, quails, peacocks, eagles, cranes, turkey's, turkey-vultures, owls... Quite a bit of diversity within miles of my house.

There was a catbird in the neighbor's tree on Sunday, my husband didn't realize how terrible they sound...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:28:55 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2019, 06:40:13 AM »
We have a lovely variety around here.
Cardinals, Bluejays, Orioles, sparrows, finches, humming birds, robins, pelicans, ducks, canadian geese, pheasants, quails, peacocks, eagles, cranes, turkey's, turkey-vultures, owls... Quite a bit of diversity within miles of my house.

There was a catbird in the neighbor's tree on Sunday, my husband didn't realize how terrible they sound...

Turkey carrying a flag  :lmao:

I saw a bird carry socks once
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:10:50 PM by bright rabbit 1 »

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2019, 07:15:39 AM »
This was outside my window today!  A male Rufus Sided Towhee.  One of my favorites.  The males have black, and the females are a beautiful chocolate brown.

Sorry pic is a little blurry.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:39:20 PM by Gator »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2019, 08:25:14 AM »
I had to stop feeding my birds, due to a marsh hawk showing up, and trying to eat them.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2020, 04:38:45 PM »
Ruby throated hummingbirds are migrating across North America!  After weeks of watching the feeder, had our first guest arrive today in Georgia, southeast United States.  So excited.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
Yes I used to like drawing and painting birds a lot when I was a kid and I know can identify most British birds. I'm not so good with bird calls however. I haven't been out bird watching in so long and really miss it.

Post Merge: March 29, 2020, 05:04:33 PM

Well on holiday in Great Yarmouth there was this thing near the market with birds like owls, eagle, and Australian bird (can’t think of the name).

I saw the eagle eat a mouse (luckily my mum didn’t see it otherwise she would of screamed. She stayed away with Honey in her dog stroller because dogs won’t allowed near them).

Was it these guys? They used to send me owl pellets for teaching.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:04:33 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2020, 07:25:52 PM »
Gator, Congrats on your first little visitor, and thanks for the reminder!  I should get my feeder up soon.  I want to be ready :) 

This is the first time I saw this thread, but YES I love watching birds!  I've done Project FeederWatch, when I used to live in a more rural area where I could have lots of feeders.  I only feed a few specific birds now, a Carolina wren pair and a robin pair that are nesting by my house, and the hummingbird feeder.  Ah, this is kind of morbid but I also prepare dead bird skins for a museum, so I...know them very intimately...  :crazy:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2020, 09:52:22 PM »
I haven't done it in years but for awhile when I was 11, my dad and I would go bird watching with the owner of the local wild bird store every Saturday morning.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal