collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you bird?  (Read 8909 times)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Do you bird?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
Blackcurtains, when I attended the North American Veterinary Conference in 2006, which is held in Orlando each year, I was excited to see and add the Sandhill Cranes to my list!

They're quite something, aren't they? One of those birds where you can still see the dinosaur in 'em.

I've been following a couple of osprey web cams for the past month or so, ospreys are some of my favourite birds although I've never seen one in the wild! The nest cams are wonderful to watch and I can't help but think of dinosaurs, especially when they're feeding! https://luontolive.wwf.fi/en/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2019, 12:22:43 PM »
Griffin, on facebook, I follow a nest cam for a nest that is near the Atlantic coast here in Georgia, US.  When I first started watching, a great horned owl family raised a brood.  Then the last two years it was ospreys.  The ospreys this year successfully raised three chicks, and they just fledged this past week and a half.   

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2019, 01:45:11 AM »
LOL just my neighborhood crows and all the parrots here in Long Beach.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2019, 07:15:10 AM »
I like birds! Although, I am no «birder». The Canada geese are not really popular here either, but not due to agression. Due to their extreme pooping :lol: I’ve never heard of them being aggressive, but since they are not naturally from here they tend to grow quite large in numbers. Since they also are messy, people don’t tend to like having them close by.

I think aggressive animals mainly are that way due to lack of respect and understanding from our side. Yes, swans around here can get a little bitey, but just treat them respectfully and read their language they are usually more than happy with being fed :thumb:

@Taffeta: I get so annoyed with dog owners like that. I am a dog owner myself, and we have a strict law on when it’s okay to have your dog off leash. It’s not allowed from April and all through September, and that is especially due to wildlife. Of course I wish I could have my dog more off-leash, but I both respect and understand why there are regulations like this. It seems like most people believe the leash-control only applies when your in urban areas around traffic and people, when the biggest reason why it excist is to protect wildlife. It is much more important to keep your dog controlled outside of urban areas!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 01:48:50 PM »

Aw, I grew up in Long Beach, CA!   The parrots are hilarious-  and so loud!!!  My dad had a parrot when we were kids, I guess some guy gave it to him.  He thought that the parrot loved him, he took him everywhere with him.  But one day when a gang of parrots was flying past, our parrot shrieked and flew up to join them- never to return.

My dad put the parrot's huge cage up on the roof filled with food (they were worried he would get hungry and not know how to eat real fruit and dates) -  but who flew in was some OTHER totally different and VERY HUNGRY parrot -  he obviously had escaped from someone else and had not in fact, figured out how to eat the fruits and palm dates...  poor thing!  I think our family parrot must have figured it out with his new friends.  I'm sure he was much happier living in a huge flock of 100 other green parrots just like him...

What's more crazy to me than the parrots in Long Beach, are the parrots in.... New JERSEY?  I visited my wife's aunt's house a couple years ago- and they had parrots causing problems?
 I guess they over-winter in the electrical boxes where it stays warm.  Now THOSE guys I feel bad for.  I wish someone could take them all and set them free again in the jungle ...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:50:27 PM by Galactica »

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
I'm not an active 'bird watcher' as such, but I do love observing the birds on my walks. Here in New Zealand we have some stunning birdlife. I was chuffed to see some Royal Spoonbills the other day (google them, they have these crazy beaks :) ) and I utterly adore birdsong, especially our native Tui.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »

Florida has parrots too! They were pets once but released into the wild where they thrive. There's all kinds, including little budgies.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »

Florida has parrots too! They were pets once but released into the wild where they thrive. There's all kinds, including little budgies.

I think there are actually some in the UK too now, from escaped pets o.O.

The parrots in the US sound fun :D

Maybe the more mellow geese are the European strain?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »

I think there are actually some in the UK too now, from escaped pets o.O.

The parrots in the US sound fun :D

Maybe the more mellow geese are the European strain?

I’m allergic to Parrots and Budgies. Only bird I’m okay with are canary birds. Then again we do have a Red Kites flying around. Plus we had a hawk.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »
I forgot to mention the cave swiftlets that circle around our house every evening. They come out about an hour before the bats do.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 01:45:15 AM »
Griffin, on facebook, I follow a nest cam for a nest that is near the Atlantic coast here in Georgia, US.  When I first started watching, a great horned owl family raised a brood.  Then the last two years it was ospreys.  The ospreys this year successfully raised three chicks, and they just fledged this past week and a half.   

Ooh I'd love to see a great horned owl nesting! These cams are such a great idea.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2019, 02:15:13 AM »
Every other year we have eagles nesting in the mountains around my cabin. When they soar above us it is truly a great sight. My sister had a close encounter with one when she was hiking up in the mountains. They are truly amazing creatures. I’ve also seen a falcon hunt together with it’s two kids. That was right outside my cabin door (yes, my cabin is far up in the mountains!). They were hunting for field mice, and ate them just 50 metres from us. It was scary, and amazing to watch them! I was glad I wasn’t a mouse...
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »
I just read an article that a seagull flew off with someone's chihuahua in England!  Wow...

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2019, 11:45:19 PM »
I love feeding the birds! We have wild bird seed, hummingbird feeders and just recently started feeding yellow finches. I enjoy watching them! Also one of our neighbors has a pond that Canadian geese that come to raise their young.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2019, 03:39:39 PM »
I live near Atlanta, Georgia.  The usual egret/heron water type birds are small green herons and great blue herons.  As you get near the Atlantic coast, you see more kinds like white cattle egrets and larger snowy egrets.  This morning in a pasture near our house, I saw three white egrets.  They were too large to be cattle egrets.  I wonder if the were great or snowy egrets?  I wonder what they're doing out here so far from the coast.  Very interesting to see them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal