Pony Talk > Off Topic

Do you bird?

<< < (10/12) > >>

CherryTreats:
I love seeing birds! I have a bird book that has the songs of many birds and I love it! It has helped me identify various birds just by their songs, like the Western Scrub Jay. I hear that one a lot. One of my favorites to see is the Steller's Jay.

CharmingBirthday:
Yeah!! I'm pretty new to it as a hobby, but I like reading Birdlife and watching local birds.

My partners mum is super into birding, and all field naturalist kind of stuff. She's a horticulturalist specializing in natives (I'm Australian) so the garden is designed to attract birds. They also live right next to a re-vegetation zone with a lake so its easy to not only see parrots but waterbirds. I'm starting to learn about the migratory birds.

Around the house here we get heaps of grass parrots (Psephotus haematonotus), corellas, galahs, eastern rosellas, mudlarks, blue faced honey eaters, wattlebirds, noisy friar birds, white-winged choughs (Corcorax melanorhamphos) and of course magpies. Nearby you can find spotted pardalotes, butcherbirds, kookaburras, welcome swallows, blue wrens, the beautiful and shy bronzewing pidgeons (Phaps chalcoptera)...

Visiting the lake recently are pelicans, little and greater egrets, chestnut teal (Anas castanea), cormorants, darters, freckled ducks (Stictonetta naevosa)

I've been out to some hotspots with them to watch for the birds that don't like disturbed areas too. I've seen some white browed babblers, shrikes, red capped robins, gang-gang cockatoos! And lots of little ones I can't remember the names of.

We have beautiful birds of prey too. You often see wedge tailed eagles flying around, and square tailed kites. There are a few hawks, kites and little falcons in Victoria.

--- Quote from: Marlin on July 11, 2019, 02:10:16 PM ---I'm not an active 'bird watcher' as such, but I do love observing the birds on my walks. Here in New Zealand we have some stunning birdlife. I was chuffed to see some Royal Spoonbills the other day (google them, they have these crazy beaks :) ) and I utterly adore birdsong, especially our native Tui.

--- End quote ---

How lucky!! I would love to travel to NZ and spend enough time there to see some of the birds.
Royal Spoonbills used to spend some time in the creek adjacent too my grandparents property when I was a child. They're very special too see, I remember watching them in first light among the river red gum wetlands... haven't seen them for many years.

SpacePinto:
Does feeding sparrows with french fries on the patio in front of a McDonald's count?

BlueCherry:
I love birds and bird watching  :biggrin: I live in Sweden and in the spring, when the ice is melting from the lakes, I usually go to these towers that they have placed near the lakes that are for bird watching  :) you get a really good view of the area from up there  :D

I wish I could feed birds outside my window, but my landlord don't allow bird feeding unfortunatly   :cloud:

bright rabbit 1:
Saw a magpie while I was on holiday plus sparrows, starlings, and a robin, plus seagulls (annoying loud mouths).

Took pictures of the sparrows and starlings, and I swear one of the sparrows was posing for a picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version