collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rainbow Roadtrip promo released (spoilers)  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow Roadtrip promo released (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
Man this special wasn’t worth seeing the movie style again. 
Spoiler
What even was the need for that Rainbow Generator if it was “teh frandshipz” that gave the town its color?  I also didn’t like the whole “we should all be social with our neighbors no matter what” message.  Some of us don’t want to have any business with our neighbors, and that’s okay.  That old cranky guy with the peach tree shouldn’t have had to give up his peaches if he didn’t want to, just because Fluttershy tricked him.  I dunno, I don’t like the whole “co-op” vibe I got from that town.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »
I caught this uploaded to YouTube last night! ....so it's probably already deleted by now lol. XD

I was surprised to find the movie style characters in a new special! I really enjoy their design (especially their big sparkly eyes) so I was thrilled when I saw the thumbnail on my youtube 'suggested videos' list and quickly hit play!

I really wasn't thrilled with the MLP movie... It introduced WAY too many characters and new species and new locations, and didn't give any of them time to shine on their own. I didn't like the villain because 'dark and edgy pony' doesn't do it for me. And they gave so much character actions to Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie that the other three suffered greatly. If you dropped Fluttershy, Rarity, and AJ from the movie, it wouldn't have even changed the plot. They only had a few lines each.

Why do I bring this up? Because Rainbow Roadtrip fixed all of my complaints! This actually felt like a MLP episode in movie format, not like a 90-minute commercial for pirate parrots and Animated-Mos-Eisley.

I liked the idea of a town in trouble tricking the Mane Six to come there to help. Of course we know it would have been much simpler just to write to them and ask for their help and of course they would have come, but hey, cartoon logic lol. I liked that RD's "fanclub" was just two youngsters with no cutie marks. (I wish they had both gotten a Wonderbolt-like cutie mark at the end when they did their stunt show! That would have been so adorable.)

I liked that the special gave each of the Mane 6 something to do, even if Fluttershy was just helping Pinkie for most of it. I liked the idea that Kerfluffle just knew in her heart what colors the fabrics were, even though she couldn't see the colors anymore. The fact that almost all the ponies of the village had Minnesota accents made me laugh even while I was rolling my eyes at the same time. XD I loved when Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy got the reclusive neighbor pony to start talking to the fancy couple and they all started baking together. That is really what Pinkie excels at! I liked Twilight Sparkle's "wing bling" XD even though it was just to sell the toys of Twilight with rainbow wings.

I REALLY loved the background ponies during the final song! We dropped the old-as-time tradition of pastel-ponies-only and got some really vibrant background ponies! Dark blue, dark red, dark green! They were great! Did you see the whole field of green ponies when they were singing in groups of colors? I squee'd! We NEVER get green ponies! And other than Big Mac, it's rare to get a dark red pony so I enjoyed that crotchety old neighbor lol.

Was it perfect? Ugh... no.  -_- The songs were AWFUL. All three of them. (I think there were three?) The opening song was a little catchy, but the other two... ugh. I won't be listening to any of them again, now that I finished the special. Once is more than enough.

As a writer, I'm usually very hard on the scripts of my favorite shows, and yeah this one was a little lacking. The idea of the machine not really draining the color from the village and it just being a catalyst for everyone to stop caring doesn't REALLY work... I mean, we don't see color draining out of anywhere else in Equestria when ponies stop caring, do we? I think it would have made more sense if there was something in the area that triggered it, not just the "we all stopped caring" thing.

I went into it thinking of it as a long episode rather than a second movie, so I guess that's why I wasn't disappointed in the standard-type plot. If this is how we're starting to wrap up the G4 experience, I'm enjoying it. :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:40:18 PM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 12:10:41 AM »
Anywhere I can watch this?

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 03:23:32 AM »
I REALLY loved the background ponies during the final song! We dropped the old-as-time tradition of pastel-ponies-only and got some really vibrant background ponies! Dark blue, dark red, dark green! They were great! Did you see the whole field of green ponies when they were singing in groups of colors? I squee'd! We NEVER get green ponies!

That's the part I sneered at because they obviously did not have a green one in the M6 so for the "green" lyrics they had to use a pony from the town.
And also Rarity is no color at all so they just left her out :lol:
I still hope we'll get new characters in the next gen and one will be green... orjustaddmintytothemaincast :cool: And more vibrant colors in general. No more brown and grey stallions with troll hair cuts. No more stallions that look like Pegasus frkm Disney's Hercules.
And animated Mos Eisley needs to return because I am tired of the pony world just being regular degular towns and cities (when other creatures living spaces are grass huts and stuff). I want muh High Fantasy and different climates and landscapes.

Kerfluffle's leg was pretty cool. Now it does not really mean that much to me because a. she is not getting a toy as always and b. show is ending so they are suddenly getting more creative and showing more "risque" things. They could give one of the M6 a cool looking prostetic leg in G5 but that would mean one unique mold and Hasbro can only make unique molds that appear once or twice like Skystar or Sandbar.
Making a unique one that would appear more often would be too logical.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 07:38:00 AM »
I still hope we'll get new characters in the next gen and one will be green... orjustaddmintytothemaincast :cool:

Yes!! Oh man I would love Minty or even a new character in green!

What does Hasbro have against green ponies...?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I remember one person here on the Arena theorized that the ponies are usually in green environments (lawns, forests, etc.) so they don't do a green pony so that all the characters stand out. But Minty in her pastel green and pink would stand out in a forest just as much as AJ and Twilight. :) I think there's some other reason... green characters are notoriously absent from a lot of media.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
Hasbro staff: Why not include a green pony in the main cast?
Hasbro CEO: No. Green ponies are not what little girls want as they remind them of the yucky green swamp. We need to only use ponies that make them think of cupcakes with frosting on top.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
Fizzy is feeling unwanted.

Well, that was boring and hard to keep going through.  I would rather watch the storm passing over than that.  I agree with those who said this should have been 44 minutes.  It was too drawn out.

And does no one in Equestria know or care what a terrible person Rainbow Dash actually is?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
Fizzy is feeling unwanted.

Well, that was boring and hard to keep going through.  I would rather watch the storm passing over than that.  I agree with those who said this should have been 44 minutes.  It was too drawn out.

And does no one in Equestria know or care what a terrible person Rainbow Dash actually is?
To think some actually look up to her like she's the best in the world.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
What does Hasbro have against green ponies...?

And looking at the pictures... what does Hasbro have against long faces? :lol:
Seriously, if you look at these line-ups you notice their faces got more and more spherical with each new art style until G4 where the frontview is just a circle with nostrils à la Voldemort :lol:

So I campaign for green and horse face.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
Tonight I was checking some screenshots of the Roadtrip special and spotted this background pony:

I mean the purple unicorn on the left with the planet cutie mark. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the OC of someone here on the Arena? I vaguely recall a couple years ago someone here had a webcomic of her OC and it looked exactly like this pony... I remember the comic plot being something like...this pony moving to a new town in Equestria to become the town astronomer? But in my old age, my memory is like a goldfish's and maybe I'm just getting mixed up. :P

I'm just curious if someone here got their OC included in the special as an easter egg! We've seen that happen before on the show once in a while.

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2019, 09:54:15 PM »
I finally made time to watch this special the other day, and it honestly felt like a reworked version of Runaway Rainbow.
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal