collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rainbow Roadtrip promo released (spoilers)  (Read 3271 times)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
Rainbow Roadtrip promo released (spoilers)
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:22:52 AM »
Just after the new episode, the trailer for the movie that airs next Saturday was played on Disc. Fam. One streamer managed to capture it and put it on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH4SUTcVkIA

It's going to be the movie style of animation.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow Roadtrip promo released (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
Oh how exciting! I love that they are using the same animation techniques from the movie. That style was so cute!
~Foxtale~

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 09:44:55 AM »
I did not know this was going to be non-flash animation. Need to watch it just for that!

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 01:48:38 PM »
I am very excited to see more movie style pony! I have discovered that I am more comfortable drawing movie style rather than show style. More footage means more references for me to work with.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
I love that they're using the other animation program for this!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:40:13 AM »
Oh, I’m really excited that it will be in the movie style! What a nice surprise!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 06:11:27 AM »
Nooooooo I don't have cable *cries*

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 05:39:38 AM »
Wow that special was... really boring.
I think the animation was nice to look at but felt overall slower than the movie. I am not talking about the budget cuts but just the way the ponies moved and emoted.
The song about the rainbow village was not good. I just... it sounded like it was improvised? I literally fell asleep to it, woke up half an hour later to turn off the computer then finished it today. Really did not expect to be so underwhelmed.
Maybe I shouldn't have expected "MLP movie" from something that just uses its style.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 08:04:37 AM »
I totally agree with Zapper! This special was rather boring. It got a little more interesting like halfway through, but not by much. I do like this style of animation as I think it's rather cute, but anyone else notice that all the background Ponyville ponies were in their usual Flash style while Main 6 were in the movie style? Kind of weird/lazy looking if you ask me. *shrugs*

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »
Wow that special was... really boring.
I think the animation was nice to look at but felt overall slower than the movie. I am not talking about the budget cuts but just the way the ponies moved and emoted.
The song about the rainbow village was not good. I just... it sounded like it was improvised? I literally fell asleep to it, woke up half an hour later to turn off the computer then finished it today. Really did not expect to be so underwhelmed.
Maybe I shouldn't have expected "MLP movie" from something that just uses its style.
Agreed. Rainbow Dash made it unbearable for the 1st 15 minutes and it only marginally got better. There was also that lame reason behind the town's ordeal "No, we had no issues with the rainbow device. We just stopped caring". Seriously? That's the ENTIRE reason behind the lack of color? At least The Runaway Rainbow had a better explanation. Rarity's job wasn't done and consequently everything suffered.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »
(...) but anyone else notice that all the background Ponyville ponies were in their usual Flash style while Main 6 were in the movie style? Kind of weird/lazy looking if you ask me. *shrugs*

I did not even notice that, wow. Maybe there is a completely fine explanation for it like "we ran out of money lol" but it's weird once you see it. They also had a Big Mac model walking around the Rainbow village and now I can't tell anymore if he was Flash or not.

Anyways, I don't want to knock the special too much. It was fine and soothing. It just wasn't something that needed that long running time.
Except that one song was just so boring, I stick by that. "And then this happened and then this happened and then-" zzzZZZZ Remember the old Care Bears movies? They were all about people stopping to care but they had demon kids and water dragons and evil books that scared the heck out of you and me :lol:

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
In light of all the negativity so far, I’d like to provide a more positive perspective.

Now I won’t deny, when I saw the Movie animation style, I was expecting something huge and exciting like said theatrical release. And, as expected, I was initially disappointed on that front. Rainbow Roadtrip is the complete opposite of the Movie in almost every way, despite sharing the same aesthetic (though obviously with a smaller budget). Instead of having a big and complicated adventure, it’s a smaller and simpler outing. The movie was very fast paced with a lot going on, whereas this special is a lot slower with less going on. But after a second viewing, it's grown on me already.

I get that many of you found this special to be boring, and I do think they could have easily afforded to cut it down to 44 minutes without losing much. But on the plus side, it allowed the entire main cast, along with the new ponies to shine. I also really enjoyed the atmosphere of the first third with the mane six first entering the night-lit hollow and entering their hotel room. Kinda has a Twilight Zone vibe.  ^.^

Most of the new characters are really likable and adorable. Many of them have that northern accent that I find charming.  :P  Sunny Skies is such a lovable dork, Petunia Petals is a sweetheart (and looks a little like G3 Cheerilee), Torque Wrench was pretty interesting with her perspective on unsung work, and Kerfuffle is an absolute delight and already the fan favorite. Unless if you count Rainbow Dash's metal wing in The Cutie Re-Mark, this is the first canon amputee pony we've gotten.

Now the moral may seem kind of shallow at first, but looking back, I think I can really dig it. What caused the colors to disappear was apathy. There was no big moment or evil entity that made things go wrong. Passion and endearment can fade with time if not upheld.

When I first saw Sunny blushing around Petunia, I thought to myself that they were probably going to start dating by the end or whatever. But when Sunny revealed that his speech in front of the town was not the one he had written, I internally gasped; I knew he was going to propose to her, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Okay, enough of me being all mushy and stuff. I will admit this special isn't really fantastic, and it may come off as a waste of the higher quality animation and runtime. The plot does have a few holes, like why did Sunny need to make up an excuse to ask Rainbow Dash and her friends for help. The songs are nice, but not amongst best. Rainbow herself is a little annoying, but that's par for the course, and this is one of her tamer showings. And like I said, they probably could have shaved a few minutes off to save some airtime.

Honestly, it almost felt like a G3 special, though not exactly in a bad way. I also want to make a Rainbow Brite joke, but I'm not familiar enough with that property to pull it off.  >_<

Overall, I think it's nice. While I had more fun with the Movie obviously, I do think this special handled its material a little better.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:00:35 PM by TJgamer »
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »
The Crystal Empire.................2!

We've seen this plot done several times already in G4, starting with The Crystal Empire. I don't remember TCE being the best ever but I know that it has one of my favourite G4 songs (Ballad of the Crystal Empire). And I would recommend watching that over this. Rainbow Roadtrip was incredibly drawn out, they could've done it in the normal 22 minutes, it's a whole lot of fluff with nothing going on. AND the songs were terrible. The one at the end was okay but Sunny Skies' was painful. Daniel Ingram didn't do the music for this if it helps anyone. ;)

I agree you have to watch it for Torque, Kerfuffle, and Petunia. I'd like Sunny a lot more but he's so boring compared to the other characters, visually. "You know he's a boy pony because he's blue! :)" FiM stallions get no variety, they're either naturally coloured, blue, or they have a yellow-with-orange-hair combo (I don't care for Zephyr Breeze's personality but I like his colours). There WAS a background pony who was pink though, I think that might've been the first pink boy we've gotten in all of G4.  :blush: And despite the background ponies in Hope Hollow being the same recycled puppets we've seen for a decade, I liked them a lot better than Ponyville's residents. FiM ponies are either pastelly or washed out or naturally coloured, while Hope Hollow was full of colour!

Spoiler
Also, the company who animated this wasn't FiM's normal studio. It's Boulder, who's supposedly in charge of the G5 media (and I think they're doing EQG maybe?) That's why I brought up the ponies' designs. If this is what Boulder has in store in terms for background/minor character design I can get behind it!

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
I liked it! I thought it was sweet. Someone pointed out that it was definitely aimed at the younger end of the audience, which is something I can appreciate.

I also saw it pointed out that it did better than the movie on 2 fronts: simultaneously giving each character their chance to shine instead of ignoring some (cough Applejack and Fluttershy cough) and not trying to cram so much in that half the scenes feel rushed and underdeveloped (cough the pirate and seapony scenes cough). Truth be told, I prefer it to the movie for those reasons. Rainbow Roadtrip didn't have much going on for it, true, but it also didn't have the glaring, overwhelming flaws that made the movie so disappointing to me.

The mayor's song sucked though, yeah. Also, did anyone get major Pride Parade vibes at the end? I know it was unintentional, but it's still a nice coincidence.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 08:14:02 PM »

Honestly, it almost felt like a G3 special, though not exactly in a bad way. I also want to make a Rainbow Brite joke, but I'm not familiar enough with that property to pull it off.  >_<

That was the first thing I thought of. Similar thing happened in the episode Peril in the Pits, and there was an audio book called "Rainbow Brite and the Brook Meadow Deer" that had a similar thing in that the landscape had turned brown and had to be recolored.

To me Petunia was the cutest (especially her voice). Thought about making a brushable custom of her, but that would be murder trying to style the hair like that.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal