collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys R' Us Returning this Holiday Season...  (Read 3976 times)

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R' Us Returning this Holiday Season...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 06:09:38 AM »
I could honestly care less. They became overpriced and I was glad the one here went under. The managment sucked and the employees were rude. I think the stores stopped being worth going to at the end of the 90's.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 06:27:39 AM »

Bain capital doesn't own it now.

Thanks for mentioning that, that makes sense, of course they sold off everything including the "brand value" type of assets. Still I do feel disgusted by what happened and even if it comes back it won't be the same, but overall it will be good to have an actual toy store again

I could honestly care less. They became overpriced and I was glad the one here went under. The managment sucked and the employees were rude. I think the stores stopped being worth going to

I never blame retail employees for being rude, having worked many retail jobs myself including Toys R Us haha!

it's unwise to wish the demise of stores. We have already lost many major chains and stores, We have less and less options and certain business move closer and closer to monoply status
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:36:45 AM by SaraMari »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 09:19:10 AM »

Thanks for mentioning that, that makes sense, of course they sold off everything including the "brand value" type of assets. Still I do feel disgusted by what happened and even if it comes back it won't be the same, but overall it will be good to have an actual toy store again

I think everyone is pretty disgusted by the way that things panned out. :( Various factors played into TRU’s demise, but vulture equity firms were definitely a big part of it. It was a sucker punch to employees especially.

But in any case, the current TRU Kids management includes some of the former TRU higher-ups. It may never be the SAME, but it could still turn out well. :) I hope that they can eventually rebuild a solid foundation, and maybe one day even return to their former glory (though that’s a difficult thing, in the digital age). Competition is always healthy for the retail market.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
I could honestly care less. They became overpriced and I was glad the one here went under. The managment sucked and the employees were rude. I think the stores stopped being worth going to

I never blame retail employees for being rude, having worked many retail jobs myself including Toys R Us haha!

it's unwise to wish the demise of stores. We have already lost many major chains and stores, We have less and less options and certain business move closer and closer to monoply status

TRU often had things that Walmart and Target skipped over as well as some pretty neat exclusives. Now I'm worried I'll even find a Shopkins set I want because I haven't found it in Target and Amazon only has it as part of an assortment. So I if I order it could get sent one of the 3 sets I already have. If TRU still existed I could see which set is which and pick the one I need.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »
I'm excited to hear that it's coming back!

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »

I worked retail most of my life.  I sure will blame them for being rude. They just were lazy and didn't want to answer questions or help people. The stores all sucked and I stopped going years ago because of that.

Edit: I know they have exclusives which I never bought because of the area mine was in it was even more over priced that most.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:31:58 PM by gemini_pony »

Offline Rodneytheponydude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
  • Im the most rootin tootin cowboy in the wild west!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
This topic is full of joy isnt it?  :|

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 03:00:50 PM »
Oh hey, I was in Toys R' Us just two months ago. In France. :P

I don't think I've really noticed the absence of TRU since Smyths recently opened up opposite the old building. It'll be nice to see what happens next.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »

I worked retail most of my life.  I sure will blame them for being rude. They just were lazy and didn't want to answer questions or help people. The stores all sucked and I stopped going years ago because of that.

Edit: I know they have exclusives which I never bought because of the area mine was in it was even more over priced that most.

So the employees at YOUR locations were mean, and yeah I get why you wouldn't want to shop at a place that was so negative. That doesn't mean that they were mean everywhere, nor does it mean that they would be mean at a new store.

New stores in areas are good. It means more opportunity for jobs (even seasonal is fine because some people need extra money for the holidays). And that touches everywhere from just the area the stores are in, logistics / supply chains, toy companies (like little tykes, where now hardly any of their stuff IS in stores). 

I hope it works out. I hope that it might land more permanent stores and expand. More brick and mortar stores are good for locals. I just don't see how people can not care about that.

Old TRU was a sinking ship. It obviously sucked for a lot of people. But there's NOTHING wrong with trying to start over again. :/

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 05:24:45 AM »
I'd much rather see KB toys or suncoast video return. Those places were my life xD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 05:32:00 AM by gemini_pony »

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
I'd much rather see KB toys or suncoast video return. Those places were my life xD

I don't think video stores will ever make a return unless they end up like FYE where they mostly sell merch like Funkos. Digital distribution services like Netflix and Spotify have replaced physical media for the most part. But kids still need toys.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »
I was never a big fan of TRU, even as a kid but I hope this goes well for them.  I would like to see some nice dedicated toy stores again.

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 06:42:31 PM »

I don't think video stores will ever make a return unless they end up like FYE where they mostly sell merch like Funkos. Digital distribution services like Netflix and Spotify have replaced physical media for the most part. But kids still need toys.

XD I can dream though. The closest dye to me is too far. The ones close to me closed long ago. Although Long beach had 2 thriving video rental stores...so go figure.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »
I hope it works out.  I do miss TRU.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline nebulavery

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »
TRU was where I got my first ever ponies, so it's quite nostalgic to me! I'd love toe see it return, or at least some toy store chain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal