collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys R' Us Returning this Holiday Season...  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Mythian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Toys R' Us Returning this Holiday Season...
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:12:30 PM »
I heard about this on Kiro7News here in Washington state. It's all over the internet with many other sites talking about the big news for the last five hours or more.
Could this possibly mean that MLP will return to sacred grounds of our beloved toy stores?
We'll only find out when we go hunting this holiday.

:newpony: :frolic: :happy:

https://comicbook.com/gear/2019/06/21/toys-r-us-returning-with-new-stores-in-the-u-s-this-year/

Article cut/pasted below:

The Toys "R" Us brand will continue, as the retail chain that was once the largest toy store in the U.S. will return in time for Christmas 2019 with fewer than ten stores, each of which will be about a third of the size of a traditional Toys "R" Us big-box store. That's according to Bloomberg, whose sources say TRU Kids (the company built out of the remnants of Toys "R" Us) have finally figured out their plan moving forward after months of suggesting that there was life after toy-store death.

Apparently, the plan is for the stores to be about 10,000 square feet, with additional "experiences" like play areas to make them more of a destination. This makes sense in a market saturated with play places that sell toys and t-shirts out of their food carts, but is a different look than Toys "R" Us customers are used to. In the Bloomberg report, TRU spokesperson said that the company was not ready to share details on its relaunch strategy, but perhaps tellingly there is no indication that she actually denied the report.

TRU would also be operating an online storefront at ToysRUs.com in order to generate additional revenue, and mitigating costs by taking product on consignment from producers, and paying only when the goods have left the store. This has its own risks, especially in higher-theft areas where Toys "R" Us would be on the hook for merchandise that was never properly accounted for.

While the market certainly suffered from the loss of Toys "R" Us, toymakers and other retailers have figured out ways to soldier on without the retailer. That means TRU Kids will have to rebuild some relationships and build some new ones. According to Bloomberg, The Toys "R" US CEO has said that MGA Entertainment, who make things like Little Tikes, Bratz, and L.O.L. Surprise!, are already on board.

“This market needs a self-standing toy store, that’s for sure,” CEO Isaac Larian said. “We will sell them inventory.”

The previous Toys "R" Us stores were closed down after it became obvious that there was no clean path to getting out of financial trouble for ownership. They explored the idea of licensing Toys "R" Us but ultimately landed on a relaunch in the hopes that they can make more than licensing to a competitor would.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R' Us Returning this Holiday Season...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »
I think you said it best: :newpony: :frolic: :happy:
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »
Sounds promising!  Only 10 stores to start with, huh?  Well, my local store is still standing empty so here’s hoping 🤞

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »
Really! That’s exiting!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 11:03:41 PM »
Ten stores means there won't be one in Idaho so I don't care, this won't affect me in the slightest. I hope it leads to more because having no toy stores is depressing but I don't have my hopes up.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:50:04 PM »
Actually a few weeks ago another company (I think) is resurrecting Toys r Us AU. They already have their online site back https://www.toysrus.com.au/
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 01:07:03 AM »
That's so cool!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 03:30:05 AM »
They got bought out by KB Toys here and they kept all their employees and stock, so I really can't relate.
I don't care what the business is called as long as the people working there are treated fairly.

Will TRU returning mean they'll hire all their people back? :P

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 04:20:38 AM »
I'm skeptical and disappointed by this. After Bain Capital sucked everything out of it It could and then drove it into the ground, they want to use our nostalgic feelings to relaunch? What a slap in the face to all the workers, especially those to whom it was a career.

To me Toys r us is now in the past, if they ever did expand and eventually come back to my city I don't think it would make any difference to me. The vulture capitalism of Bain Capital on both Toys r us and KB toys just leaves me feeling disgusted

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 06:38:45 AM »
Oh! That's nice. I wish it would come back over here, I miss TRU so much.. my local(ish) one is still standing empty, signage and all :(

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 06:43:27 AM »
Oh these little pop-ups are likely going to be like TRU Express, which was like KB Toys except it was a giant kiosk in the walkway, not even a real store front.  Just temporary booth walls and overpriced products that parents already told Alexa to buy 3 weeks ago.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 07:42:00 AM »
I'd be quite pleased if they slipped back into either their old store, or the old walmart building.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 07:46:41 AM »
I really don't care about the physical locations since there probably won't be one in my tiny state but an online storefront to compete with Amazon will be good. Maybe they will carry some things for more reasonable prices. I'm still upset that Amazon was charging $5 for the same blind bag ponies that were $3 before but no physical stores in the area carried them so I ended up skipping them.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 03:46:32 PM »
I'm skeptical and disappointed by this. After Bain Capital sucked everything out of it It could and then drove it into the ground, they want to use our nostalgic feelings to relaunch? What a slap in the face to all the workers, especially those to whom it was a career.

To me Toys r us is now in the past, if they ever did expand and eventually come back to my city I don't think it would make any difference to me. The vulture capitalism of Bain Capital on both Toys r us and KB toys just leaves me feeling disgusted

Bain capital doesn't own it now.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal