collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys R' Us Returning this Holiday Season...  (Read 3982 times)

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R' Us Returning this Holiday Season...
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »
Hopefully they can pay a better wage and not have unpaid overtime lawsuits. I was getting letters about it well after I wasn't working for them. We had a hard time keeping good help because it was literally the lowest paid box store in town. Taco Bell and McDonalds had higher starting wages! I worked there because I enjoyed selling toys since it's what I do as a side ebay hobby with vintage. I farm the rest of the year and really I hate sitting around all winter so the pay wage isn't always the biggest factor I look at when applying for holiday work. Like (Am I going to be happy with this job for 3 months and not want to run away screaming).
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 03:17:05 AM »
It's a new company and from what I see only a few flagship stores in major cities will open.

Offline BerylBreeze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2019, 01:33:36 AM »
With only 10 stores, I don't think I'm getting my job back.

The consignment thing is interesting, I wonder if it will push companies to only sell safe-selling toys there at risk of them piling up like Glimmies/Zak Storm/BattleClaw/etc?
That could be a problem, TRU was always good bet at finding very specific things because they had more shelf space for each compared to Target/Walmart/etc.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2019, 09:20:31 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ebayimg.com

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2019, 10:35:59 PM »
I'm skeptical and disappointed by this. After Bain Capital sucked everything out of it It could and then drove it into the ground, they want to use our nostalgic feelings to relaunch? What a slap in the face to all the workers, especially those to whom it was a career.

To me Toys r us is now in the past, if they ever did expand and eventually come back to my city I don't think it would make any difference to me. The vulture capitalism of Bain Capital on both Toys r us and KB toys just leaves me feeling disgusted

I'm really sorry I should have known there was another side to it.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 04:05:35 AM »
I'm skeptical and disappointed by this. After Bain Capital sucked everything out of it It could and then drove it into the ground, they want to use our nostalgic feelings to relaunch? What a slap in the face to all the workers, especially those to whom it was a career.

To me Toys r us is now in the past, if they ever did expand and eventually come back to my city I don't think it would make any difference to me. The vulture capitalism of Bain Capital on both Toys r us and KB toys just leaves me feeling disgusted

I'm really sorry I should have known there was another side to it.

There's no reason to be sorry. There was nothing that could save the sinking ship that Bain Capital did. These are NEW investors who own TRU, who are trying to start up the company again. We need more brick and mortar stores. So it's not bad at all.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 08:30:44 AM »

Bain capital doesn't own it now.

Thanks for mentioning that, that makes sense, of course they sold off everything including the "brand value" type of assets. Still I do feel disgusted by what happened and even if it comes back it won't be the same, but overall it will be good to have an actual toy store again

I could honestly care less. They became overpriced and I was glad the one here went under. The managment sucked and the employees were rude. I think the stores stopped being worth going to

I never blame retail employees for being rude, having worked many retail jobs myself including Toys R Us haha!

it's unwise to wish the demise of stores. We have already lost many major chains and stores, We have less and less options and certain business move closer and closer to monoply status
I worked retail most of my life.  I sure will blame them for being rude. They just were lazy and didn't want to answer questions or help people. The stores all sucked and I stopped going years ago because of that.

Edit: I know they have exclusives which I never bought because of the area mine was in it was even more over priced that most.

So the employees at YOUR locations were mean, and yeah I get why you wouldn't want to shop at a place that was so negative. That doesn't mean that they were mean everywhere, nor does it mean that they would be mean at a new store.

New stores in areas are good. It means more opportunity for jobs (even seasonal is fine because some people need extra money for the holidays). And that touches everywhere from just the area the stores are in, logistics / supply chains, toy companies (like little tykes, where now hardly any of their stuff IS in stores). 

I hope it works out. I hope that it might land more permanent stores and expand. More brick and mortar stores are good for locals. I just don't see how people can not care about that.

Old TRU was a sinking ship. It obviously sucked for a lot of people. But there's NOTHING wrong with trying to start over again. :/

:iconclap: Well said bandit!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2019, 04:50:39 AM »
Pretty sure it won't open here.  Our old one did awful and it just doesn't seem like people here would even be interested.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »
Being in Maine, we won't see our stores return for a long while, if ever. My experiences as a toy collector wandering the aisles of TRU gave me very fond memories, so I'm hopeful that they can return and be run better than they were before.

The large building that used to be my local TRU sat empty for over a year, but it was bought recently and it is a furniture store now. Disappointing. I do miss having a toystore where I can go and walk around and see what the kids are into these days. We haven't had KB Toys for many years. I now have Walmart and Target to search, and that's about it, other than online of course.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:04 AM »
Well from what I understand, they're setting up a section within other stores first.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2019, 11:42:56 AM »
It seems like TRU has a special presence in the US, and that long history, so it would be great if it could return there, even in small amounts.

It's a bit different over here. I know some folk grew up with it and it was an awesome store, but there's not quite the same history attached somehow...

Unlike Woolworths, which I still wholeheartedly mourn :(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal