collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Possible G5 Style?

Yes I'd like that
47 (41.6%)
Lukewarm
38 (33.6%)
No
24 (21.2%)
Pony-tatos!
4 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: How would you feel if the Pearly Twilight Pose ended up being G5's style?  (Read 16006 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I like the heads on the Pegasus and Earth ponies better. Fluttershy in particular looks very sweet and gentle.

The rearing poses remind me of a cross between the Firefly and Ice Skater posed ponies. I even like Twilight Sparkle and she's made me soooo mad with how often she's been packed in against my will.

It's the wrong leg for Firefly pose...I just sat the retro one next to the screen and they are quite different - though that's not to say that's not what Hasbro was aiming at, even if it's way off base.
The open mouths confuse me a little bit. Not on the pegasus ponies, but on the earths. I guess they all have the same head..?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
To expand a little though I guess what I don't understand, especially with your price comparison, is that Hasbro went to the trouble of making these poses from scratch for this project, which must have cost a certain amount to do. So I wonder if they can't use the ones BF are using or don't want to for some reason (bearing in mind there's also the little Firefly and Glory floating around, and I know Firefly was unpopular but Glory was a pretty good miniature).

I mentioned cost when I was confused.

It was more so to say that these don't have a variety of poses because the cost for a mold is expensive. So 2 molds for 6 ponies at a lower price point wasn't that bad.

But these are 3", so they can't use BF molds.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:32:53 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I like the heads on the Pegasus and Earth ponies better. Fluttershy in particular looks very sweet and gentle.

The rearing poses remind me of a cross between the Firefly and Ice Skater posed ponies. I even like Twilight Sparkle and she's made me soooo mad with how often she's been packed in against my will.

It's the wrong leg for Firefly pose...I just sat the retro one next to the screen and they are quite different - though that's not to say that's not what Hasbro was aiming at, even if it's way off base.
The open mouths confuse me a little bit. Not on the pegasus ponies, but on the earths. I guess they all have the same head..?

I was thinking the open mouths were more a visual nod to some of the G3 moulds.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
To expand a little though I guess what I don't understand, especially with your price comparison, is that Hasbro went to the trouble of making these poses from scratch for this project, which must have cost a certain amount to do. So I wonder if they can't use the ones BF are using or don't want to for some reason (bearing in mind there's also the little Firefly and Glory floating around, and I know Firefly was unpopular but Glory was a pretty good miniature).

I mentioned cost when I was confused.

It was more so to say that these don't have a variety of poses because the cost for a mold is expensive. So 2 molds for 6 ponies at a lower price point wasn't that bad.

But these are 3", so they can't use BF molds.

No. But they *could* have used the mini Glory or mini Firefly moulds...possibly? I am not actually sure how tall those are, not least because we don't measure in inches so much here now and my Glory is at home, not in London...but that would've worked and the pose already existed? I am assuming that pose is/was also in the hands of a licenced producer, not Hasbro, though, hence them doing this themselves.

But I just...I am not sure I dislike them. I just don't like (reading the Amazon description) them trying to pass this off as anything related to G1. I don't honestly feel these are going to please fans of retro and modern MLP as I don't think they actually are either, just a weird stab in the dark? I may be wrong - and of course people will like them for other reasons - but as G1 interpretations of G4 ponies? Not working for me.

At least they do say 'inspired by'.

While I don't feel like the m6 would exist in G5, LAW's suggestion that this become G5 actually makes more sense to me seeing the M6 like that. I mean, they're not G1 or G4. So G5?

I still think they look mostly inspired by G3, personally, but I know that's not a universally shared opinion.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:41:01 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Quote from: Taffeta link=topic=395753.msg1778573#msg1778573
No. But they *could* have used the mini Glory or mini Firefly moulds...possibly? I am not actually sure how tall those are, not least because we don't measure in inches so much here now and my Glory is at home, not in London...but that would've worked and the pose already existed?

Fairly sure those are smaller then 3in. More like 2.5. who knows if they even kept the mold

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I am SO glad that they didn't use the mini Fakiefly mould for the Pegasus. My daughter had a Fakie earth pony that looked a lot like that. The pegs are my favorites here and the thin tails can be fixed.

Someone on the TP said the faces look like Dollymix moulds.

The legs are G3 all the way, being slimmer, more angled and having more defined joints.

These are brand new moulds aren't they?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I am SO glad that they didn't use the mini Fakiefly mould for the Pegasus. My daughter had a Fakie earth pony that looked a lot like that. The pegs are my favorites here and the thin tails can be fixed.

Someone on the TP said the faces look like Dollymix moulds.

The legs are G3 all the way, being slimmer, more angled and having more defined joints.

These are brand new moulds aren't they?

They do look like Dollymix moulds O.O.

But they were also based mostly on G3 I think? Didn't they do the G3 ones first and then the G1 from that? I can't remember now.

I don't have the fakie firefly, but I remember the reaction to it was less than positive...

At the very least, the existence of tiny glory proves that mini versions can be done. The existence of the BF ponies prove that big versions can also be done. Even HQG1C as a private project has managed to make new pose combinations and adjustments from what G1 left behind.

Everyone but Hasbro...

I just find that a bit disappointing really., since they have probably the most capital to sink into this and all the copyright to do a really good job.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
This set is totally bizarre to me. The heads and eyes just don't seem to match the bodies. Something about the Earth ponies in particular is really throwing me off, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Maybe the mouth?

Its a shame because if the heads looked better, I'd be all over this set. But I just can't get past them. I'd rather spend my pony budget on Basic Fun or HQG1C ponies if I'm buying new.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5PSPS7/

Maybe not as G5 but it looks like there's going to be a complete set of them.

I have a MIGHTY NEEEEEEED.

Between this and that baby mane 6 set, I'm gonna have to expand my mane 6 variants shelf lol. I don't care how weird and clunky and not-g1 these look, they're perfect to me. Plus, you have to admit, they did pretty accurately capture that stoned sleep deprived uh... peaceful look that g1s had in their eyes.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile

Between this and that baby mane 6 set, I'm gonna have to expand my mane 6 variants shelf lol. I don't care how weird and clunky and not-g1 these look, they're perfect to me. Plus, you have to admit, they did pretty accurately capture that stoned sleep deprived uh... peaceful look that g1s had in their eyes.

So what are you trying to say? That their adventures are an acid induced fever dream?  :lol: (I mean, I'm sure the comic writers were all dropping but...)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

So what are you trying to say? That their adventures are an acid induced fever dream?  :lol: (I mean, I'm sure the comic writers were all dropping but...)

Cue Shady and her magic spectacles!!
https://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/35757684097/amp
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Dang! I want a Shady like this in all her neon eye sizzling glory.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Dang! I want a Shady like this in all her neon eye sizzling glory.

UK acid trip Shady > US animated Shady.

Fact.

I had that annual as a kid and Shady was a childhood pony for me so I read it a lot...but...now rereading it as an adult I have no idea what the heck is going on in that story. Ponies coming off the mgr and magic smoke and angry doors and a vanishing wall and...?

...Yeah. Well. Nuff said.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Ohhh I'm sure you have some idea. :silly:

Offline Taffeta