collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Possible G5 Style?

Yes I'd like that
47 (41.6%)
Lukewarm
38 (33.6%)
No
24 (21.2%)
Pony-tatos!
4 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: How would you feel if the Pearly Twilight Pose ended up being G5's style?  (Read 15573 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
If there is a G5, I won't be able to get into it if the toys are bland and repeat themselves.  I think the Twilight sample is cute, but not nearly detailed enough.  I do like that she is more horse-like.  That's a good start.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile

Although g3.5, that was the case. (and as you know ppl wanted to call that g4).

But they didn't, because it wasn't :) Which kind of sums up my point.

People did though.

(And on that note I don't personally believe in half gens. But I'll call them that because that's what the community categorizes them as).

The point is that there's no rules. It tends to be a general consensus and not all people agree.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
IIRC the "G3.5" term only really became widely agreed upon when G4 rolled in. Before then some called it G3.5, some called it G4, etc.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook

Although g3.5, that was the case. (and as you know ppl wanted to call that g4).

But they didn't, because it wasn't :) Which kind of sums up my point.

People did though.

(And on that note I don't personally believe in half gens. But I'll call them that because that's what the community categorizes them as).

The point is that there's no rules. It tends to be a general consensus and not all people agree.

Yep, and that's fine, but nothing in that contradicts anything I said in my post about the fact we don't have a G5 yet, we don't know what it will/may be, and we can't really judge what to call it until we know at the very least it exists.

I don't know how I feel about .5, honestly. It goes back to what I said about how we might have looked at G1 if G1 had happened third and not first. I'm a G1 person and I've been here almost since G1 ended, and we've all gone through lots of different ways of looking at ponies and how we classify them as Hasbro keeps adding more to the pile. "G1" is actually very simple and inclusive as a term, which I like a lot...because I get fed up (as a G1 person) with all the other sub-divisions people shove in there based on region (usually incorrectly), like UK or Europe or whatever the flavour of the day is. G1 ponies are absolutely the least simple generation in terms of what it contains, where, and how, and especially outside of the US - so inventing an overall classification term by which we can all agree to talk about ALL of them was actually very refreshing.

None of the speculation about .5 or the changes in how we've dealt with later less complicated franchises alters the fact that ultimately we still categorised all the existing generations on roughly consistent 'rules'. And nothing yet tells us that we're going to do that differently if G5 happens, by the time it has been running long enough to really judge it. Of course, rules are there for us as a community to change and they're not set in stone. But I feel like people are trying to set it in stone when we don't even know what we're discussing yet.

In my view it's not even at a point of general consensus when it doesn't yet exist for us to have opinions on. If we're going to have a general consensus on what to call it, let's have something to discuss first rather than speculation and rumour.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Yep, and that's fine, but nothing in that contradicts anything I said in my post about the fact we don't have a G5 yet, we don't know what it will/may be, and we can't really judge what to call it until we know at the very least it exists.

^_^; A discussion doesn't mean we have to contradict each other.

The topic of the thread is purely hypothetical to begin with. "How would you feel if the Pearly Twilight Pose ended up being G5's style?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

The topic of the thread is purely hypothetical to begin with. "How would you feel if the Pearly Twilight Pose ended up being G5's style?

True, but I feel like you're responding more for the sake of disagreeing with me than because there's actually a discussion going on. And that's not really on topic.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion, and accept that it's different to mine, but it's hard to discuss something this way.  Not least because there isn't a G5 yet.

Let's move on.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:50:16 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile

I feel like you're responding more for the sake of disagreeing with me than because there's actually a discussion going on.

Sorry you feel that way? I feel like if you quote my comments, it's something directed to me. Don't quote me next time if you don't want me to notice.

I don't have an issue talking about hypotheticals. It's just a fun topic.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
You actually quoted mine first, but it's not important.

Let's get the thread back on topic :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I quoted Wardah... because I agreed with her.

Sorry I don't have the ability to cut out long qoutes when I'm on my phone. I edited out the string to make it clear.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:06:49 AM by banditpony »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I quoted Wardah... because I agreed with her.

Sorry I don't have the ability to cut out long qoutes when I'm on my phone. I edited out the string to make it clear.

Ah, okay. That helps make it clearer, because obviously Wardah was responding to other stuff before that.

Besides, it's fine. Let's return to the subject of what to call G5 when we know what it is (I'm game for that discussion!) and go back to talking about what it might look like, which is kind of the topic at hand.

I still wonder what would happen if Hasbro decided (based on the retro success) to shove a bunch of revised G1 characters into their new reboot and how people would respond. I know that was the original thought around G4 but Hasbro weren't into the idea. But the retros seem successful (here at John Lewis I've been told more than once by different staff members when I've asked about stock that the rainbows sell out very fast and are super popular) and now Hasbro are FINALLY acknowledging G1 directly in this Twilight thing...

I wonder what people would feel about that? Not so much the style of the mould but the actual idea of Twilight reverting to being Twilight in a new pony iteration?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I still wonder what would happen if Hasbro decided (based on the retro success) to shove a bunch of revised G1 characters into their new reboot and how people would respond. I know that was the original thought around G4 but Hasbro weren't into the idea. But the retros seem successful (here at John Lewis I've been told more than once by different staff members when I've asked about stock that the rainbows sell out very fast and are super popular) and now Hasbro are FINALLY acknowledging G1 directly in this Twilight thing...

I wonder what people would feel about that? Not so much the style of the mould but the actual idea of Twilight reverting to being Twilight in a new pony iteration?

That'd be pretty neat! When G4 was starting up it was my hope that we'd see a mix of G1 and G3 homages, with Applejack already being part of the main cast (I also remember the Fluttershy as Posey concept art being used by Hasbro somewhere when G4 was starting to be unveiled, But maybe I'm misremembering). But while there were plenty of G3 characters, there were never any G1 ones. Not even as a blind bag. Strangely they did put a few only in the Playskool line of all things.

With that perspective in mind, this SDCC 2-pack is kind of a milestone. Even though it also seems to  send the message that Hasbro wants to keep "old MLP" (G1) and "new MLP" (G3 and onwards) separated. So we'll see...

Stylewise, I wouldn't like it if G5 tries to mimic G1 too heavily. I feel like G3 already did that and it was kind of boring to me. I'd rather have something new and unique like what G2, G3.5 and G4 did. Using color schemes and names of old characters as an homage I'm super OK with though! :biggrin:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
I don't like it quite as much as G3, but I could definitely warm up to it! While I think that G4 MLP's animated style ponies are pretty cute, the toys themselves have never appealed to me, thus I've never had any interest in collecting them. If Hasbro went to a return to form style like this, it would make me happy.

Somehow I doubt that's what is going to happen, though. I fear for the worst.

|My Collection|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I don't like it quite as much as G3, but I could definitely warm up to it! While I think that G4 MLP's animated style ponies are pretty cute, the toys themselves have never appealed to me, thus I've never had any interest in collecting them. If Hasbro went to a return to form style like this, it would make me happy.

Somehow I doubt that's what is going to happen, though. I fear for the worst.

Don't we all?  :nope:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline nebulavery

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
To me, this Twilight just looks like a badly done G3 fakie. I want to like her so badly, but especially with being a SDCC exclusive I'd expect her to look better. I mean, the stars in her Cutie Mark aren't even painted (or maybe they're just very close in shade to her body color, which isn't much better)! I do appreciate that she looks more horse-like, though.

Offline BerylBreeze

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
I wouldn't like it, because she looks like a watered-down G3. Nothing about the sculpt makes her "pop" next to fakies or actual ponies, she has no stylization.

Still cute though, if a bit small.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal