collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Possible G5 Style?

Yes I'd like that
47 (41.6%)
Lukewarm
38 (33.6%)
No
24 (21.2%)
Pony-tatos!
4 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: How would you feel if the Pearly Twilight Pose ended up being G5's style?  (Read 15527 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Bring back G2!!!
I like her okay, I’d rather see something drastically different though, and like others say, more horse like!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I’d be open to it! :) I think her mold is definitely a step in the right direction. I’m okay with the next generation being small like G4 was, but I want them to have some horselike features again! Please no more little button noses!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I feel like there should of been a "yes, but........" Answer in the poll.

I like it as is, especially the size. So I would be cool with it. I don't think g5 will look like that though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:53:57 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
great topic IMO

I really got "back into" MLP when my my first daughter was born and really bit by the bug from 2010 forward... so G3 back to G1 is really showcased in this little pearly version of twilight (although I agree that twilight twinkle would be a better rep for twilight sparkle - call 'em at least cousins - but I digress...)  and close to my heart for my personal timeline coming here to the arena

that said

I agree about the quality issues and that stamp eye is buggin' me, but the waaaaay toooo cartoon-y FiM deer-mice style ending to go back to at least looking a bit more actual pony-horsey style (and please no more anthro-competition with Monster High IMO)  would be a wonderful excuse for me to keep on growin' the shelf-herd
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 04:36:04 AM by maycrestmom »

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
yeah, I'm reasonably certain that at least some of it's legit - I'm just a sceptical person in general ;) Don't like to put too much stock in something unless we're totally certain of it, you know?

Granted even if the concepts are legit there's no saying G5 will definitely look like them, anyway! But I still don't see Hasbro veering off in this direction, is what I meant.

Yeah, I tend to be the same way. :)

And yes, a lot can change between early concept art and finished product... That said, I like most of the concept art (especially the feathered hooves!) better than what we have now, so... I’m hopeful. XD

On this note (just reading back and noticing this side discussion)...

I wonder if at any point the success/whatever of the BF ponies will feed into how G5 - if such a thing happen - may evolve. We've only seen at best leaked information around an animated thing for this "G5" (which I'm sorry, is not G5 if it recycles the same old cast, it's 4.5, but I digress). We haven't seen toys...

But it's interesting that this time Hasbro seems vaguely interested in injecting a G1 thing into the SDCC. If it was just coincidental anniversary related then last year - that they made out to be the 35th - would've made the most sense, but this year...?

Unless of course they're realising that the G1 stuff is gaining traction and want in on it more than they seem to have done before...

In which case, G1 could have a bigger influence on what comes next than it was originally going to. At least in terms of toys.

But yeah, so long as the M6 are involved it's not G5.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
I just had to vote lukewarm.... ;)

Good thing thats my opinion too.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Well, it would certainly be an improvement.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
yeah, I'm reasonably certain that at least some of it's legit - I'm just a sceptical person in general ;) Don't like to put too much stock in something unless we're totally certain of it, you know?

Granted even if the concepts are legit there's no saying G5 will definitely look like them, anyway! But I still don't see Hasbro veering off in this direction, is what I meant.

And yes, a lot can change between early concept art and finished product... That said, I like most of the concept art (especially the feathered hooves!) better than what we have now, so... I’m hopeful. XD

I wonder if at any point the success/whatever of the BF ponies will feed into how G5 - if such a thing happen - may evolve. We've only seen at best leaked information around an animated thing for this "G5" (which I'm sorry, is not G5 if it recycles the same old cast, it's 4.5, but I digress). We haven't seen toys...

Transformers is constantly reusing characters between generations and some of the G4 characters are from G3. To me it matters more if the story is new.

Then again I think the .5 generations should have just been whole new generations like the LPS community has done every time there's a slight change. (Tho I'm not crazy with how they ignore the vintage ones and start G1 with the 2006 releases).
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Transformers is constantly reusing characters between generations and some of the G4 characters are from G3. To me it matters more if the story is new.

This is how I feel about it too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:05:46 AM by banditpony »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I thought the original/vintage LPS WERE considered G1? :o I've always seen people calling the 2005 line "G2".

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
That's true, but until fairly recently, MLP was unique from Transformers in that regard.  You'll have your archetypes, but it was never the same toy or character.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

This is how I feel about it too.

In that case, MLP Tales are G2, since technically the tales ponies and series are more different from the rest of the G1 narrative(s) than arguably the concepts for "G5" are from G4.

Except of course, they're not G2. That's because its not really about what Transformers or other franchises do, even though we adopted the terms I think from that community when we started calling them G whatever.

G1 is exceptionally broad for MLP given that there's so much variety in it and 2 distinct storylines as well as a plethora of other stuff. And in hindsight if we'd been thinking of G-terms earlier, we might have categorised it differently - so we might have called SHS 1.5 or whatever. But we didn't do this. And we didn't because we didn't think about the G terms until G3.

Before that it was old pony -  new pony. And that was what is now G1 and G2.

So the way generations got defined in MLP kind of boils down to - different cast, different setting, different toy mould type/style/design. And a completely separate continuity that doesn't overlap with previous.

In the UK at least all the different types of G1 ponies intersect (either all the species of pony in the same comic setting, or same mould type of pony across the two storylines of tales and other stuff). In the US I guess that's considered the 'Dream Valley' generation, but also more generally the 'Ponyland' one.

G2 is Friendship Gardens.

G3 is Ponyville. 3.5 is Ponyville but rebooted in style.

G4 is Equestria.

The thing that defines them as separate generations is the lack of overlap between them. Even if characters or character names overlap, they are mostly significantly different. Pinkie Pie is maybe an exception but she's also an abomination so I'd like to ignore her if at all possible ;) Rarity, Fluttershy are names from G3 but not ponies from G3. Applejack is like G1 AJ, it's true - but she's a one off in the new setting. Dash is now a pegasus and completely different in personality from the G3 one, so she just about scrapes through as 'new'. The core 7 and the mane 6 are not the same, anyway.

So "G5" needs to have a new setting, a new majority cast and a new toy style to fit the rules of previous generations.

If it's rebooting the M6 entirely, even if it's a new storyline, it's not G5. It's 4.5.

But since people are still torn as to whether the reboot pose G4 are 4.5 or not, they'll probably still end being called G5. It's just not technically the case based on how G1, G2 and G3 are classified.

Of course the big question mark would be if they decided, for G5, to resurrect a bunch of G1 characters in new moulds and write about them instead. How we'd classify that I really don't know. xD. Not that I think it will happen, but with Hasbro, you never know.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:54:32 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
G5 might have the same cast, or similar, but it'll be a new story AND new toys.

That wasn't the case with tales.

Although g3.5, that was the case. (and as you know ppl wanted to call that g4).

In the end the gen definition tends to be decided by the community, and doesn't have to follow the same rules each time.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile

And even then there wasn't a clean break between G3 and G3.5, the change kind of came gradually. Ponyville, Core 7, Newborn Cuties. It all led up to the change in style for the main toys, which was radical enough that we needed a new designation for it, but not radical enough to say it was a new generation. Then again, some did call it G4 and if it had lasted longer maybe that designation would've stuck.

As long as the next series takes place in different world with a new style for the characters and the toys, I think it's fine to call it G5. I can overlook it if the new main cast share names and basic traits with the previous main cast, as long as it's clear they're not the same characters.

In the end people will choose the terms they feel are most convenient for what they want to talk about, and that's fine. MLP has evolved over the years, so how we talk about it now will be different from how we talked about it back then. Going forward we might get "generations" that only last 2-3 years or less, so in that case we might have to abandon this system and designate each new series by the year of release or if they have a subtitle similar to "Tales" or "Friendship Is Magic".

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

But they didn't, because it wasn't :) Which kind of sums up my point.

I personally don't see Tales as a separate generation, but the toy argument doesn't fly because it was a change in toys. The US (the core home of MLP) didn't have any toys. Thus, change - MLP entirely through animation. Even though there were toys, for most US kids in the 1990s watching MLP tales, it was just a tv show.

It's interesting that you mention the discussion over 3.5, we've still to resolve the reboot G4s and whether they are 4.5 or not. I believe there's still strong opinion about that.

There was also an argument in 2011 when G4 happened that it wasn't a new generation because it overlapped in stores with the previous generation and was therefore part of the same production line. This argument used the variety of poses etc in G1 to suggest G4 was just a continuation of what came before.

In the long run, though, the community decided what G4 was on the same lines as what it decided G3 was (and by association, G1 and G2), after seeing what it comprised and what seemed logical.

So the idea the community changes the rules as it wishes is correct, because it has to respond to the franchise and how IT changes. But the assumption that the ultimate decision will be different because right now it's different - it's way too soon to say and I prefer much more evidence before that call is made.

Right now it seems rushed to call it anything when we don't know what 'it' is. It's also presumptious to assume there will be a 'G5' or indeed any other generations beyond this one.

Now this is just my personal perspective, but I firmly believe the m6 will kill My Little Pony if they're allowed to continue beyond G4. If they don't, then it will be like the tales ponies, the central repeated cast at the core of G2, the core 7...but I worry that it won't be and that by calling it G5, we're basically condoning the death of the whole franchise by interminable rereleases of Pinkie Pie for the rest of time.

To be blunt, if that's going to happen, I'm happy for MLP to end for good with G4.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal