collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Possible G5 Style?

Yes I'd like that
47 (41.6%)
Lukewarm
38 (33.6%)
No
24 (21.2%)
Pony-tatos!
4 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: How would you feel if the Pearly Twilight Pose ended up being G5's style?  (Read 15582 times)

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
I keep wondering if Hasbro finally realizes we're potential cash cows for G1 stuff but they have licensed out G1 style ponies to Basic Fun so now Hasbro is stuck to come up with these "retro" Frankenponies.     I do like them but they are far from true G1.

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Also hasbro posted this on their youtube channel and... idk what to say :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xetF8tnKoE0
"Spike and Megan dated briefly during Season 1" I really have a hard time believing this is an official thing from Hasbro :brow:
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
"Spike and Megan dated briefly during Season 1" I really have a hard time believing this is an official thing from Hasbro :brow:

Same
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I was already wary about that video and now that I've read that quote...  :shocked: what ARE they doing?!

but they have licensed out G1 style ponies to Basic Fun so now Hasbro is stuck to come up with these "retro" Frankenponies.

Oh, that's an interesting thought - I wonder if that's what's going on? Some weird legal thing that actually prevents Hasbro from doing proper repros? Maybe it'd be seen as competition or something? Hmmmm.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
ok wait what? ok my head is in a spin,  awesome news to see something new, wow Amazon exclusive, i never knew they did exclusives, which is good news cos they will ship these to New Zealand. but that hair quality look sketchy so might wait for someone to review them first .
but the poses especially the raring peg pose is from a remco rearing fakie and remco fakie wings.

anyways who's the toy company making these?

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
I pre-ordered the Mane 6 set. I do like the style... it reminds me more of the G1 animation than anything they did toy-wise. I still wouldn’t mind if this became the new direction of G5. It would at least be better than more of the 3.5/4 style. However, the mold is once again being marketed as “retro!”, so I doubt it will become the new look for MLP.

but they have licensed out G1 style ponies to Basic Fun so now Hasbro is stuck to come up with these "retro" Frankenponies.

Oh, that's an interesting thought - I wonder if that's what's going on? Some weird legal thing that actually prevents Hasbro from doing proper repros? Maybe it'd be seen as competition or something? Hmmmm.

Well, if Hasbro started making accurate G1 repros using original molds, that would definitely be direct competition with Basic Fun. I highly suspect something in the licensing agreement prevents that from happening until BF’s contract is up.

ok wait what? ok my head is in a spin,  awesome news to see something new, wow Amazon exclusive, i never knew they did exclusives, which is good news cos they will ship these to New Zealand. but that hair quality look sketchy so might wait for someone to review them first .
but the poses especially the raring peg pose is from a remco rearing fakie and remco fakie wings.

Hasbro themselves. Amazon has had G4 exclusives before, like the glittery FS Sea Pony Pinkie Pie.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:07:01 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile

Hasbro is making these.

This is an unpopular opinion but, they look like My Little Pony again and that's why I like them.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:54:15 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile

Hasbro is making these.

This is an unpopular opinion but, they look like My Little Pony again and that's why I like them.

yeah i reckon so too. more then last gen.  they have a funny little retro quirkiness to them.
maybe this is hasbro testing to see if these are going to be popular and then decide on G5 designs

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I was already wary about that video and now that I've read that quote...  :shocked: what ARE they doing?!

I think that's pretty likely, since it would be a bit pointless to sink all that effort into a project and then have the mothership suddenly decide to compete with them. But Hasbro really weren't interested in G1 this time last year, or the retros. And they've steered clear of directly acknowledging G1 for ages. So now it's a bit awkward that they're trying.

I don't mind these existing, but Hasbro need to realise we realise they're not going to be thought of as G1.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

Yep, that about covers it. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
I've just seen them on amazon, I really like them! When will they be available?
I love that I will now be able to buy new style MLP for my baby, LOL.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile

Yep, that about covers it. :)

I like the basic fun but I want new products too. I don't want all repro stuff.  I hope G5 is cute and not retro.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile

If that youtube is truly official then we have to accept Hasbro okayed it.
I usually don't mind fans making these kinds of videos because I myself am guilty of making fun of what I enjoy.
But some of these blurps were going too far.
Spoiler
Naming Cupcake "Sprinkle Bottom", that bit about Megan and Spike and jokingly censoring a pony because she sits with legs open. Really, Hasbro? This is the humor I don't even expect from FiM writers. And believe me, FiM writers smuggled some really eyebrow raising stuff into some episodes. Like AJ saying "I am going to buck in an Appleloosa hen house" :lookround:

Nevermind that actual trivia about MLP n Friends would have been cooler than just cracking jokes. Is there something like this about G1 Transformers or GI Joe? Or is it just MLP again because "hurr hurr they just had tea parties"? Once they make fun of their golden child Transformers I will allow it for once :P

Honestly, G1 TF and GI Joe were ten times sillier than MLP. GI Joe was a YMCA joke waiting to happen and Transformers was too stupid to function. And I say this as a TF fan.
The new Masterpiece Hound comes with a giant key for show accuracy despite that scene it's from being completely bonkers and Hasbro just treats it seriously and includes it for the fans.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:11:20 AM by Zapper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

If that youtube is truly official then we have to accept Hasbro okayed it.
I usually don't mind fans making these kinds of videos because I myself am guilty of making fun of what I enjoy.
But some of these blurps were going too far.
Spoiler
Naming Cupcake "Sprinkle Bottom", that bit about Megan and Spike and jokingly censoring a pony because she sits with legs open. Really, Hasbro? This is the humor I don't even expect from FiM writers. And believe me, FiM writers smuggled some really eyebrow raising stuff into some episodes. Like AJ saying "I am going to buck in an Appleloosa hen house" :lookround:

Nevermind that actual trivia about MLP n Friends would have been cooler than just cracking jokes. Is there something like this about G1 Transformers or GI Joe? Or is it just MLP again because "hurr hurr they just had tea parties"? Once they make fun of their golden child Transformers I will allow it for once :P

Honestly, G1 TF and GI Joe were ten times sillier than MLP. GI Joe was a YMCA joke waiting to happen and Transformers was too stupid to function. And I say this as a TF fan.
The new Masterpiece Hound comes with a giant key for show accuracy despite that scene it's from being completely bonkers and Hasbro just treats it seriously and includes it for the fans.

I think you summed up everything in that assessment.

This is why it feels like something made by a brony to mock G1 - laughing at not laughing with - if that makes sense. We've all had discussions making fun of things from G1 - names, poses, animation, comic stories with acid trips...etc...but there's a difference between laughing with and accepting the silly and laughing at and making fun of it.

Also the nuances bothered me too. It's so very brony (no offence to non crazy bronies) in its approach.

I guess someone at Hasbro found it funny, or maybe a bit of resentment coming out at the popularity of G1 stuff right now? So hard to tell since it's the only thing on the channel remotely like that...

I also hope that if we have a G5 release, it's not based on older characters from any gen but is it's own thing. But I don't know if Hasbro are still capable of that...:/ At least, I'm sure as a company they are, but whether right now they have the right design people or approach to do it is another matter. I feel like they could do with some freshening up in that dept to give a brand new perspective. Especially if they want to challenge and rival the G4 phenomenon. They should learn from MH that slight reboots of popular but dying franchises don't end well...

Personally I'd like to see them take a pony break and then if they wanted to do another gen, come back with something awesome and completely new in a few years time. But I feel rather more like we're going to see the franchise run into the ground and destroyed instead by the search for a quick profit.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal