collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Possible G5 Style?

Yes I'd like that
47 (41.6%)
Lukewarm
38 (33.6%)
No
24 (21.2%)
Pony-tatos!
4 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: How would you feel if the Pearly Twilight Pose ended up being G5's style?  (Read 15577 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I watched it and I have no clue what was even going on. The little captions were random and made no sense. I don't understand what that video was even supposed to be!

Parody VH1 pop up video parody because 80s/90s throwback...

I didn't have cable so I can't remember if they poked fun of stuff or not in the original
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Haha I'd go with G3.14. The Pi Generation. (Seriously).

The problem isn't the parody idea, it's that it failed to be funny or even relevant.

I genuinely felt like if it wasn't on the Hasbro thing, I'd assume it was done by a brony to mock G1 for some reason. It has that kind of tone and a similar lack of knowledge about G1? Or are they thinking that doing this is going to get that kind of fan to watch G1? Is G1 airing somewhere? What is going on? It's so confusing.

I think it says everything that comments are disabled on the video xD.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Haha I'd go with G3.14. The Pi Generation.

The problem isn't the parody idea, it's that it failed to be funny or even relevant.

I genuinely felt like if it wasn't on the Hasbro thing, I'd assume it was done by a brony to mock G1 for some reason. It has that kind of tone and a similar lack of knowledge about G1? Or are they thinking that doing this is going to get that kind of fan to watch G1? Is G1 airing somewhere? What is going on? It's so confusing.

Comments are disabled on every video on this channel iirc, but it's good news because we don't have to see the endless kill it with fire. And yeah I have no idea for who it is, for bronies? But why would you mock g1 to sell "g1" toys?

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
The entire purpose is simple.........

1: 80s nostalgia
2:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
The issue is it's not a direct evolution. They were inspired by the retro art that was inspired by the 80s cartoon that was inspired by the original toy line. Like honestly tho if I wasn't someone familiar with MLP and just grew up with a vague memory of them I'd probably just assume that's how they always looked. Those are the people I feel they are trying to appeal to.

The entire purpose is simple.........

1: 80s nostalgia
2:

I'm imagining it the other way around with several kids in a trenchcoat saying "Hello fellow grown ups".
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:16:06 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I have lots of thoughts on Hasbro's mentality at the moment where G1 is concerned.

They've tried to separate themselves from G1 for a while now, but till last year they could just assume all pony fans liked G4 better and didn't think much about G1 overall. BUT with Basic Fun doing the retros, which seem to be doing well and popular...now they're on the G1 bandwagon, but they're really still not committed to G1.

They want our money as G1 fans, but as Hascon demonstrated, they don't really understand the pre-G4 community, nor have they really gone to town on reaching out to us for a long time. Instead it's been franchised/licenced merchandise or products that have been on our wavelength - clothing, retro ponies, mashems, etc.

Hasbro seem to have realised this now, but I feel like they've trapped themselves on the brony side of this equation. So maybe this is an attempt to get over that?

Not a very good one though.

The thing is the retros have come at the same time as G4 is fading. The G4 movie wasn't a huge success. The toys have shelfsat in places here. G4 doesn't sell well at the moment, a lot of it is already at the carboot sale. I picked up a lovely Princess Skystar fashion style a few weeks ago, and two weeks ago I saw that electric twilight monstrosity there (The expensive one that talks that was out a couple of xmasses ago). So G4 is fading and the retros are building momentum at the same time.

It's like HAsbro just realised that they missed a slice of the pony profit by discarding G1 (obviously they get money for the licencing and stuff, but not directly). And so now this.

I wonder if it has impacted any design decisions around G5. I guess we'll find out. If they just get the message that WE ARE FED UP WITH M6 then that will be a step in the right direction.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Quote from: Jorgito93 link=topic=395753.msg1778625#msg1778625
And yeah I have no idea for who it is, for bronies? But why would you mock g1 to sell "g1" toys?

Parents of children who might of had ponies as a kid, and are not necessarily into collecting. Why else would they even be on that channel. It's for someone who somewhat remembered pop up videos so probably 30+ish age? Someone who had ponies, might of liked it when they were a bit older.

I don't recall if VH1 pop up videos were AS cheeky, but it was obviously made for someone not super into G1 lore.. but vague memory instead.

Like the whole thing about walking and the sun seemed pretty on point. The weird comment on Megan and spike.. a bit weird.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Haha I'd go with G3.14. The Pi Generation.

Comments are disabled on every video on this channel iirc, but it's good news because we don't have to see the endless kill it with fire. And yeah I have no idea for who it is, for bronies? But why would you mock g1 to sell "g1" toys?

Who knows?  :shrug:
I have lots of thoughts on Hasbro's mentality at the moment where G1 is concerned.

They've tried to separate themselves from G1 for a while now, but till last year they could just assume all pony fans liked G4 better and didn't think much about G1 overall. BUT with Basic Fun doing the retros, which seem to be doing well and popular...now they're on the G1 bandwagon, but they're really still not committed to G1.

They want our money as G1 fans, but as Hascon demonstrated, they don't really understand the pre-G4 community, nor have they really gone to town on reaching out to us for a long time. Instead it's been franchised/licenced merchandise or products that have been on our wavelength - clothing, retro ponies, mashems, etc.

Hasbro seem to have realised this now, but I feel like they've trapped themselves on the brony side of this equation. So maybe this is an attempt to get over that?

The thing is the retros have come at the same time as G4 is fading. The G4 movie wasn't a huge success. The toys have shelfsat in places here. G4 doesn't sell well at the moment, a lot of it is already at the carboot sale. I picked up a lovely Princess Skystar fashion style a few weeks ago, and two weeks ago I saw that electric twilight monstrosity there (The expensive one that talks that was out a couple of xmasses ago). So G4 is fading and the retros are building momentum at the same time.

It's like HAsbro just realised that they missed a slice of the pony profit by discarding G1 (obviously they get money for the licencing and stuff, but not directly). And so now this.

I wonder if it has impacted any design decisions around G5. I guess we'll find out. If they just get the message that WE ARE FED UP WITH M6 then that will be a step in the right direction.

:iconclap:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

Right?! I thought the same thing. When they initially teased the Twilight retro, I thought it was suspicious to just have one pony in this brand-new, unique mold. I suspected there could be more to feed off of Basic Fun's success with the repros. Aaaaaand, whaddya know! We're getting exactly that.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Wow, now this was unexpected! I still think their eyes look weird, but I like them a lot more than Twilight. (I feel like a traitor saying that x'D I like Twilight much more than the M6, but... still not a fan of pearlies ^^;) Definitely gonna pick these up.

I think they were based off the modern G1 art more than anything. I wonder who they're meant to be marketed towards, too... seems like even Hasbro aren't sure (so what else is new?! :silly:). "People who vaguely remember MLP and are buying into the 80s/90s nostalgia stuff" seems like a safe bet, but still, weird.

They do look like the Dollymixes, too. (And yeah, those were G3 and then they reused the molds to make the G1 set.)

I dunno. It feels like Hasbro have finally figured out that hey! There's a market for G1 retro stuff! We'll buy it! And they want a slice of that pie, so they had a go and (as usual) didn't quite get it right. But I do like them - I'm all about weird little curiosities like this. :D I loooove how they updated their symbols a little to make them more G1-style, too. The only one I'm not too keen on is Twilight Sparkle's - I like it in general, but it's a bit too far removed from her usual symbol IMO. It's nice but it doesn't say "Twilight Sparkle" to me, you know?

I'm imagining it the other way around with several kids in a trenchcoat saying "Hello fellow grown ups".

:frolic:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5PSPS7/

Maybe not as G5 but it looks like there's going to be a complete set of them.

What I like about these are the retrofied cutiemarks. Especially RD's.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
TS's symbol reminds me a bit of Starsong's symbol.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
I would be all for them! They are so much better then any of the G4 ponies to me! I would start to buy them again! :)

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
I would be all for them! They are so much better then any of the G4 ponies to me! I would start to buy them again! :)

Agreed! I got so happy when I saw these! I came into MLP collecting late, and thus have only been collecting generations previous from the current one (which has been G4 as long as I have been collecting). It's really exciting to see these!

|My Collection|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
What generation would we place them in, since they're a mismash?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal