collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: hydrogen peroxide tutorial?  (Read 876 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
hydrogen peroxide tutorial?
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:31:21 AM »
Hello,

I have this bald, baity baby fifi witha very yellow head that I wan't to fix.
My question is: Can I put her in hydrogen peroxide, if yes, is there a tutorial on how to do that?
Like, how much water do I use, What is the maximum time she's allowed in the sun, Do I also bleach her body this way?

If anyone has answers, I'd love to hear.

(Also I'm not trying to start the is hydrogen peroxide good/bad debate here. Just saying :))

Cheers,

Luke

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:33:16 AM by kingluke »
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
Re: hydrogen peroxide tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:25:09 AM »
I bleach ponies only with the hydrogen peroxide bath that I want to customize later (baits without hair and symbols) - mostly white ponies to date. I've done it previously to haired ponies as well but the hair will end up getting very coarse and is prone to breakage more easily. The typical smell stays on for a long time so you may want to thoroughly clean and condition the hair afterwards.
Eyes and symbols will lighten up in the solution and there's nothing to my knowledge how you can cover them that wouldn't react with the peroxide. I adapted my method according to the link below:

http://mlppreservationproject.webstarts.com/body.html scoll down to Point "Yellowing"

I use a glass container with a plastic lit succesfully (the solution condenses and you don't loose anything easily). You need to cover the object completely so the total amount of liquid has to be adapted. Be sure to wear gloves and protect everything around it and your clothes, they may bleach when you get it on. Even the diluted solution can be dangerous so be cautious.

I started with a 30% peroxide solution and diluted it 1:10 to get a 3% solution. Be sure hydrogen peroxide is an acid so please add the water first and then the hydrogen peroxide.

But it didn't work as fast as I wanted to. Germany has sunny days not the whole year long and we live in a building where the sun rarely can be used in winter. I put the jar outside towards south so the pony can sit there the whole day. So currenly I use a 35% solution that I store in a brown glass bottle without light access and dilute it roughly 1:2 when I need it.

Then you can achieve results much faster. I bleached ponies from yellow to blinding white in about a week. Take pictures of the pony before the process started against a white background and take her from the bath every few days to check the result. Rinse her with water, dry her and take more comparison pictures. When you're happy with the result, let her sit in a non hydrogen solution to get rid of the smell.

It is an experiment you should start with slowly and develop over time to not destroy your pony or your health.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:27:07 AM by pandabear_chan »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 06:24:19 AM »
I would not risk further damaging the pony ... we don't know what hydrogen peroxide will do in the future to the plastic.
And Baby Fifi goes yellowish, with her colors breaking down. It is an aging thing, I don't think you want to potentially ruin the pony 5 years down the road..... I have had 4-5 baby fifi's over time, they all get that yellowish colour going on.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:26:09 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
Thank for the advice, I don't think a lot can become worse for baby fifi. I got her already baity. But if I customize ehr, more people will be angry....
I'll see what I do. Thanks
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 01:36:42 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide use is more art than science. No one can tell you exactly what to do to get the result you want because there are a lot of different variables (between peroxide solutions, between relative UV exposure of different times/locations, between ponies themselves...) There are no hard and fast maximums and minimums, it's just what works for you.

I will say that if you're hoping to get her head not just unyellowed, but also matching her body, then you will have to treat her body as well. The peroxide will "brighten" out a little of her blue color as well as the yellow, so her head would end up slightly lighter than her body otherwise.

Also, as the pony continues to age, she may continue to yellow. Hydrogen peroxide bleaching may fix the symptom, but it's not a cure of the "disease" of plastic degradation. So it may be necessary to repeat the process in the future if you want her to always be true blue. Something to consider when you're making your custom. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal