collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Exclusive revealed  (Read 15022 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2019 Exclusive revealed
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »
O_o I don't see G3 in her-- she looks like a modern G1. Like the retro artwork..

*looks at box artwork*
*looks at pony*
 :blink:
Well dang. Other then the G3 fakie head and pale pink stars your right.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:05:09 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »

On the other hand, this is a Twilight being on a G3ish, but still unique mould as its not completely G3.

And let's be honest, if Hasbro had simply done nothing more then grab Basic Fun Twilight and put it in there with Reboot Twilight Sparkle, people would whine about Hasbro being twice as lazy. So at least there's something kinda new and unusual.

That's my stance on it exactly, it's something completely different and worth buying for something unique. Instead of... uh... Twilight Sparkle from Walmart in that one single pose she's been put in for the past year.

(This 3" Twilight's ears are completely different, they don't look exactly like G1, and they're definitely not G3 ears. They look a bit like G4.5 ears imo, Especially from the front.)

I also agree it's supposed to be based on the Retro artwork than the original G1 style. The head is a bit big and the body is squished... the eyes are huge too, G3 eyes are smaller than that. Even Dolly Mixes had small eyes. Maybe I'll make a comparison between the two (or three) later.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:06:26 PM by Ragamuffin »

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
I would have loved a smaller Twilight in the rearing pose. Pearlized and with the correct stars color. That would have been so amazing!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
I would have loved a smaller Twilight in the rearing pose. Pearlized and with the correct stars color. That would have been so amazing!

Which rearing pose specifically? Firefly with a unicorn head or Truly with a unicorn head?

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 03:20:08 PM »

Which rearing pose specifically? Firefly with a unicorn head or Truly with a unicorn head?

Truly with a horn. Like the new HQG1C pose or my avatar ^^

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 03:21:00 PM »

Truly with a horn. Like the new HQG1C pose or my avatar ^^

There's a new hqg1c rearing unicorn? :frolic:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »
It doesn't look like a G1 which is my problem. I don't like a company advertising something that isn't even right. I mean we are talking hasbro here, the people that made MLP and they can't even bother to actually make it a g1?

I agree with this. If they want to go down that line, make it a set of 3, include Twilight Twinkle and use the tiny moulds they used for Glory with the book for Twilight as, you know, that is her mould. And the right size. And stuff. :P Even if that was licenced out, they have the rights because, well, Hasbro, so...yeah.

The whole pearly G3-1 Twi is interesting but NOT the 1980s. Unless this is what they mean by time changing and somehow Twilight got lost in her mist, fell into a magic mirror, and mutated into a G3ish pony while walking through the weird wood towards a place called Ponyquestria Gardens...

If we retro buyers are the target audience, then Hasbro need to realise that we're probably going to notice that they can't get their gen moulds straight :P. In that sense, it's a bit disrespectful to those of us who grew up with G1. I don't dislike the whole thing overall, just, as Uni says, HOW it is being presented as something it is not.

I'm also not sure if not seeing the G3 influence is wishful thinking or pose blindness. Either or. Because if you look at Twilight Twinkle and then at this, it's very. clearly. influenced from that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:32:11 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
It doesn't look like a G1 which is my problem. I don't like a company advertising something that isn't even right. I mean we are talking hasbro here, the people that made MLP and they can't even bother to actually make it a g1?

I agree with this. If they want to go down that line, make it a set of 3, include Twilight Twinkle and use the tiny moulds they used for Glory with the book for Twilight as, you know, that is her mould. And the right size. And stuff. :P Even if that was licenced out, they have the rights because, well, Hasbro, so...yeah.

The whole pearly G3-1 Twi is interesting but NOT the 1980s. Unless this is what they mean by time changing and somehow Twilight got lost in her mist, fell into a magic mirror, and mutated into a G3ish pony while walking through the weird wood towards a place called Ponyquestria Gardens...

If we retro buyers are the target audience, then Hasbro need to realise that we're probably going to notice that they can't get their gen moulds straight :P. In that sense, it's a bit disrespectful to those of us who grew up with G1. I don't dislike the whole thing overall, just, as Uni says, HOW it is being presented as something it is not.

I'd be down for mini running press Twilight. Or a 3 pack with Twilight, Twilight Twinkle and Twilight Sparkle. Although the latter would just be given to charity.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:33:09 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »

There is a prototype atm. Check the HQG1C Collectors group in Facebook for some photos ^^

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 03:32:22 PM »

There is a prototype atm. Check the HQG1C Collectors group in Facebook for some photos ^^

I don't have facebook, so I'll hafta wait I guess. ^^;

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 03:37:15 PM »

I'm also not sure if not seeing the G3 influence is wishful thinking or pose blindness. Either or. Because if you look at Twilight Twinkle and then at this, it's very. clearly. influenced from that.

Yeah but an actual G1 doesn't look anything like the retro artwork either. It's almost like they didn't care about accuracy back then because people made up the difference with their imagination.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »
The new retro artwork is also kind of G3-ish to me. Is as if they got a G3 pony, changed the line art a wee bit and then put the G1 ponies in there... Some have G3 poses. The problem that I see is that hasbro seems to have a problem with really going back to the 80's and does this kind of stuff to try and keep collectors buying.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
We could go off on a long tangent about G1 artwork and its accuracy (and also why it doesn't matter because as you say, G1 fans weren't obsessed with 'show accurate' whatever like G4 ones...) but it's not really on topic.

Though there are some very accurate drawings from prototypes in the comic and UK fliers which ironically look nothing like the actual ponies because prototypes don't equal store product. I guess that happened a lot. Plus there's a lot of stock pose images like the one Lady Pinwheel mentioned in her avatar that appeared (at least here) all over cards, comic, etc in the early years so *shrug*. I guess Starflower's petals came from a prototype and then got imposed on a stock pose image and it stuck...

In any case, I don't think this is about the relationship between the artwork and the pony. The colouring matches up but the style of pony doesn't, because the artwork is G1 and the pony isn't. That's a different kind of difference from petals on stars or the wrong colour hair in my view.

As I said, I don't hate G3-1 Twi, I just agree with Uni that she shouldn't be marketed as something she isn't. She doesn't represent the 1980s, or even the 1990s...and they could have been more accurate if that was the message they wanted to put out.

Let's not forget that the Dollymix ponies (the G1 ones) were also in G3 poses. We didn't think much of it then because that was when G3 were out and you know, Hasbro and all - but maybe that's really all they have in their design tank at the moment. If everything actually g1 is licenced out, it makes you wonder if they only have concept art and thus stuff to work from from G3 - or at least, that they are willing to touch on.

Which is actually fine, but don't try and pass it off as 1980s or G1, because the target market - if that is us - are the ones who WILL notice that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »

It's opinion...

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
The new retro artwork is also kind of G3-ish to me. Is as if they got a G3 pony, changed the line art a wee bit and then put the G1 ponies in there... Some have G3 poses. The problem that I see is that hasbro seems to have a problem with really going back to the 80's and does this kind of stuff to try and keep collectors buying.

Also a good point. I think the same.

If nothing else, I'm glad this shows that Hasbro is still capable of making pony shaped ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal