collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New EqG special "Sunset's Backstage Pass"  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
New EqG special "Sunset's Backstage Pass"
« on: June 20, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »
Anyone want to talk anout it?

Official synopsis:

Spoiler
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Sunset’s Backstage Pass
US Premiere: July 27 at 11:30a/10:30c

The Starswirled Music Festival is finally here, and the Mane 7 are going to get their "glamping” on! Sunset and Pinkie are the most excited to see their favorite band perform but when Equestrian Magic causes a “Groundhog Day” inspired time loop to start, Sunset gets stuck reliving "Festival Day 1" forever!

Three Rainbow Rocks characters are coming back.

Spoiler
THE DAZZLINGS (their songs are better)
. I am looking forward to the special just because of them. I love the new song so much.

Hasbro also released a bunch of EqG festival shorts on their MLP FiM youtube channel. They are cute but nothing special (unless you like RariJack :cool:)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:10:24 AM by Zapper »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Spoiler
So I will be happy with this even if it ends up predictable.

Because it's about Sunset, she's always the star.

And the Misfits Dazzlings are back :D

When you said "their songs are better" it made me think of the Jem theme ;) "We are the misfits, our songs are better. We are the misfits...we're gonna get her!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Spoiler
When you said "their songs are better" it made me think of the Jem theme ;) "We are the misfits, our songs are better. We are the misfits...we're gonna get her!"

Spoiler
Yeah I did this on purpose because it was true with Rainbow Rocks and Jem. Their rivals did have the better songs :lol: And the Dazzlings reminded me a little of the Misfits; a scheming leader, one that's aggro and one that's naive.

So now is the question... are those the actual Dazzlings? Because they seem nice to their audience.
In RR, the bodies the sirens possessed were just some random girls who could not sing. Now they have their talents back. I wonder how this will get explained.
Also, I see they are trying to fix the pendant that housed the siren magic... But if it's still broken how can they sing? It's all a little ??? to me.

I'll rewatch RR on Netflix :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I personally don't expect EQG to make sense, so long as it entertains me xd.

Spoiler
But those are good questions o.O. I really hope this isn't a case of them being 'reformed so they can all be friends' FIM style, bleh.

Also!

I hoped you'd done it on purpose :D

Jem had some shocking songs because she often had to sing about 'theme of the week being forced oddly down kids' throat' or, randomly, "here's a song about a radio station". The Stingers and the Misfits didn't have that problem. I feel like the same exists with the Dazzlings and the Rainbooms albeit the Rainbooms are less "random singing about stuff that ought to be kept in my diary. No, literally' than Jem and the Holograms.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
One thing is for sure:

Spoiler
The Dazzlings are also stuck in the magic timeloop, it is part of the lyrics. They are trying to break the loop by trying to get their pendant to work (?) because it also can house Equestrian magic.
That's my flimsy theory.

They are definitely nicer considring their actions towards their audience. I just hope they won't be friends with Sunset and the Rainbooms. They can still be healthy rivals.
I doubt that will happen because EqG is like FiM and fan favorites always end up friends with the M6/7.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Ooh, I haven't been keeping up with EG, but this has me excited!
Spoiler
There's a time loop? Interesting. Wonder how that'll work.

I do hope the Dazzlings aren't reformed as well.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Spoiler
The worst case scenario is if they've 'learned their lesson'.

One thing that I like about EqG over FIM (which I can't stand) is Sunset Shimmer exists! the way that they brought Sunset's character round full circle from bully to trying to reform (and being doubted), to being reformed and the heroine, to being the mentor for SciTwi, to being basically the leader...and I liked that there was the recent special that dug into that and tried to erase it so she had to challenge herself again. And I like that her power is essentially 'empathy', which is something she lacked at the start but gradually has learned.

I think she is such a much better "Friendship project" than Twilight in Equestria because of that. I also like SciTwi better because of similar reasons - she's gone through the loop as well and evolved as a character.

The plot is fairly irrelevant as you know it will basically end with a fight v a super villain with equestria magic and some ponyupping with them advertising some outfit probably on sale with a doll or a mini at some point (maybe not now if the line is ending).

But I like the Dazzlings as they were. I want them to stay like that.

I think how they've handled Trixie - esp in the Sunset friendship one - works well. Not quite a friend, but sometimes an ally - they could bridge that middle ground if they're fighting a common enemy, but I don't want them hugging and making up at the end with the Dazzlings.

I really hated that moment in the FIM movie when
Spoiler
Tempest Shadow suddenly decided she and Twi were best friends. I can see her learning from her mistakes, but yeah. Twilight is not well depicted in that movie in a lot of moments, and I don't like her being rewarded for it by the best character in the film suddenly becoming her buddy.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I have rewatched most of the EqG movies/specials on Netflix and I have to say they are aging well (for something that isn't that old). They go together nicely and in some ways better than the FiM seasons. I don't know if they have had a more constant team or not, but when you watch them back-to-back you'll always find they did callbacks and kept in mind how characters progressed.

I just wish they were all ponies. I just hate the character design as in their porportions and general style. I wish they would have made the Sirens and Crystal Preppies into ponies at some point because their individual designs looked great.

I have my problems with the entire franchise as it is, but I am interested in how the story will end. I think we have one more special to go until G4 closes, unless they cancelled the last one and this special is the end.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Spoiler
Wait... The Dazzlings were (in body) just random girls possessed by the Sirens? I thought the Sirens came through the mirror (or some equivalent thereof) and were transformed? And I thought the pendant was the secret of their powers in both human and pony form... I’m confused. >_<; Is this explained in a later special? I need to catch up. X3
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Basically character progression, character development and continuity are win. MOre so than the plot honestly.

From a girl who loves the Jem ShangriLa episode even though the animation is shot and the storyline is so unbelievable and weak - because of the amount of character detail between the Misfits that goes on within it.

Jem comes off as a self-absorbed idiot as usual, but that's par for the course.

Also it has a yeti. Come to think of it, it might make a good EqG episode, that...

I don't have an issue with the designs of the EqG characters and I like the dolls. I'm not really a fan of how G4 is animated (I like the original figures but yeah) but it doesn't really bother me that much overall...

My one bugbear with the series is when they brag about how a popularity contest is better than a meritocracy in Friendship Games. Because yeah, being the popular crowd is the same as promoting friendship. Not.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Spoiler
Wait... The Dazzlings were (in body) just random girls possessed by the Sirens? I thought the Sirens came through the mirror (or some equivalent thereof) and were transformed? And I thought the pendant was the secret of their powers in both human and pony form... I’m confused. >_<; Is this explained in a later special? I need to catch up. X3

Spoiler
I think you are right and I was wrong based on a quote from the movie. Twilight says something like "without the pendants they are just harmless teenage girls", d'oh.
Still confused as to why they can suddenly sing well without the pendants.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Spoiler
Still confused as to why they can suddenly sing well without the pendants.

Spoiler
Maybe they invested in some singing lessons? :P

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Spoiler
Well I've seen the early release on Dailymotion and it's good, much better than the recent shorts and even the previous specials.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Also saw it.

It had a good message. Like always, EqG has more organic messages due to the low quantity of specials. They can put more thought into a single one, I guess. But it wasn't as epic as it could have been.

Now about my biggest question - it got answered!

Spoiler
The Dazzlings are still antagonists, I was so glad! And they are still the sirens because they called the audience "human scum", the music video is misleading.
Just too bad they just had a cameo, basically. I would have loved to see more story regarding them.

Overall, I usually dislike how Pinkie is the only one who gets to live her character flaws all the time. She is so annoying.
Spoiler
I realize that's just how she is supposed to be. "Laughter" is supposed to be shrill annoying shrieking, randomness and a kind of hyperactivity that would get someone put on certain meds real quick irl :P
But she is just too much for me sometimes and I really felt Sunset getting aggravated at her shenanigans. I've been there. Sunset had a good reason to get more and more pissed. Not everything was about Sunset's need for perfection. The churro bit was Pinkie messing up completely and a little "I'm sorry" wasn't enough. I mean, Pinkie actively ruined their night, nothing about it was Sunset's fault. Girl ran straight up into a cart and knocked a bunch of hot food over getting them kicked out - I wouldn't have laughed that off if I was her friend. I would have been really enraged.
But Sunset is the reformed baddie so she always has to be voice of reason and put the M6 needs first.
That's why I like Starlight better. She gets to have friends besides the M6 so she can break out sometimes. Sunset is chained to the Rainbooms :lol:

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Also saw it.

It had a good message. Like always, EqG has more organic messages due to the low quantity of specials. They can put more thought into a single one, I guess. But it wasn't as epic as it could have been.

Now about my biggest question - it got answered!

Spoiler
The Dazzlings are still antagonists, I was so glad! And they are still the sirens because they called the audience "human scum", the music video is misleading.
Just too bad they just had a cameo, basically. I would have loved to see more story regarding them.

Overall, I usually dislike how Pinkie is the only one who gets to live her character flaws all the time. She is so annoying.
Spoiler
I realize that's just how she is supposed to be. "Laughter" is supposed to be shrill annoying shrieking, randomness and a kind of hyperactivity that would get someone put on certain meds real quick irl :P
But she is just too much for me sometimes and I really felt Sunset getting aggravated at her shenanigans. I've been there. Sunset had a good reason to get more and more pissed. Not everything was about Sunset's need for perfection. The churro bit was Pinkie messing up completely and a little "I'm sorry" wasn't enough. I mean, Pinkie actively ruined their night, nothing about it was Sunset's fault. Girl ran straight up into a cart and knocked a bunch of hot food over getting them kicked out - I wouldn't have laughed that off if I was her friend. I would have been really enraged.
But Sunset is the reformed baddie so she always has to be voice of reason and put the M6 needs first.
That's why I like Starlight better. She gets to have friends besides the M6 so she can break out sometimes. Sunset is chained to the Rainbooms :lol:
Spoiler
The song was kind of a letdown because the beginning was completely different than the main chorus, which I loved. Wish the entire song was like the chorus.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal