collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New EqG special "Sunset's Backstage Pass"  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New EqG special "Sunset's Backstage Pass"
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
So... it aired officially in the US. Anyone seen it? ^.^

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 03:26:23 AM »
I watched it on YT. I'm waiting to see if it appears on UK netflix but it hasn't yet.

So the first part just annoyed the heck out of me and I thought, OMG, Pinkie Pie is already ruining the show by being a main character with Sunset in it. But anyway...

Spoiler
Still didn't explain why the Dazzlings have their voices. Maybe it's a vocal loop thing but actually they'd still have to be singing the words so I'm not persuaded. Unless they relearnt to sing since RR. Otherwise I liked the twist that they weren't the bad guys. Although it was also pretty obvious from the off who had the device thingy because otherwise the plot wouldn't make sense. They seem their usual selves albeit I'm not sure how I feel about their cameo like this. Them lecturing Sunset a little on living life was a bit off the wall.

Pinkie Pie totally ruined Sunset's first two tries. To give Sunset credit she tried a second day with Pinkie and it still ended badly. I don't blame her for going off on her own on the third, the problem is her doing so didn't make sense to her friends because they hadn't seen the stuff beforehand. Problem of being the only one aware of the loop.

Sunset always gets great character exposure and development and we didn't have a monster trying to destroy equestria which is awesome. Also her going off on her own on day 3 kind of reminds everyone that she's not always been the heart of the group but did stuff on her own beforehand, so I kind of liked that. Also that she used her magic but only in a lowkey sense. Magic other than the device was really lowkey in this one. Pinkie mostly used hers for special effects (and once for breaking and entering xD) and Sunset I think only twice - on Adagio and on whichever postcrush girl it was - to fix on the truth. I'm glad she only ever uses such a strong power in necessary situations now she can control it. Nice manipulation of the villains at the end, by persuading them to shake hands.

Not sure I believe how it ended, too convenient that they just happen to know drums and a guitar are the right instruments and they can play them??

The security guard amused me ;) Bribing him with a kitten is not responsible pet care, Sunset!

Also.

Spoiler
Pinkie Pie is annoying. I was actually really ticked off at the start that it looked like featuring her so much. And I'm sorry, absolutely nothing she does is ever funny. But fortunately Sunset and the run of the plot, which mostly focused on Sunset, diluted that. As ever, Sunset saves EQG from being as banal as FIM, but the "friendship message" got a little bit obvious at points...

Did Pinkie actually apologise at any point for ruining anything? I don't remember that she did? When she overheard Sunset ranting about it she got upset and said she'd go join a queue and not get in Sunset's way again but I don't remember her actually saying sorry? Does she ever apologise for being a nuisance?

Still, despite Pinkie Pie being a main character (please, Hasbro, get over her, now), it was generally enjoyable. Just I felt like Pinkie needed to learn more from that day than she did, since Sunset was the only one who built on the friendship lesson. The day only worked in the end because Sunset basically gave in to what Pinkie wanted to do on the original day, thus preempting disaster. There's nothing about that day that Sunset chose to do except the concert.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »
Pinkie Pie has always been a trash character in regards to these friendship lessons. I can only stand her together with her sisters.

Usually the plot is on Pinkie's side and other characters have to apologise to her for not ~understanding her.
People harp on RD for being the worst of the M6 but to me it's Pinkie because at least RD is sometimes written to learn her lesson and stick with it. Pinkie just resets.

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 03:26:01 AM »
I find the movie Groundhog Day to be hilarious, so already I have a slight bias towards this special.   :lookround:
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 03:40:58 AM »
Pinkie Pie has always been a trash character in regards to these friendship lessons. I can only stand her together with her sisters.

Usually the plot is on Pinkie's side and other characters have to apologise to her for not ~understanding her.
People harp on RD for being the worst of the M6 but to me it's Pinkie because at least RD is sometimes written to learn her lesson and stick with it. Pinkie just resets.

Rather like this episode, I guess....

I feel like in a way she'd have benefitted more from the repeat days, as she actually learned not to be such a singleminded airhead...but anyway.

I prefer the series focusing on Sunset xD. So :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal