collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pausing Ebay Listings? Putting Selling on Hold / Does It Work?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Now that Ebay has made it so that everything you put up at fixed price is "Good till Cancel", that means you can't really coordinate your listings any more if you are going away for a typical time of like a week.
Always in the past, if I was going to be away, I would just let everything expire and then list it up again upon return. But now...you can't. I don't want to tear everything down, either.

There IS a way to 'pause listings'
But then when I read about it, ebay just had some lame thing about how they put an autoresponder on your seller messages that says you're away until the date you select. Well, that's no good because by the time someone messages you, they're already having a huge fit as a buyer. And that supposedly 'takes several days' or something to even get your stuff out of the search. And the search doesn't matter anyway because the items have watchers and a watcher doesn't search, it just hits the buying key. And primarily if someone's going to buy...they'll be a watcher first anyway/good likelihood.

Now...I don't have a ton of great items or real fast seller hotcake type stuff, but there is a possibility something'd sell.
What does everybody do about this?
Does the autoresponder actually work?
Is there a way to note it on a listing without editing every single thing that's up there? I've got like 30 things.

Any advice is appreciated by maybe someone who's had to do it before...

[moving to TS ~ Kiwi]

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Pausing Ebay Listings? Putting Selling on Hold / Does It Work?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:50:47 PM »
I know there’s a way to set it so that all of your listing pages feature a banner at the top that states: “This seller is away until X/X/XXXX—if you purchase this item, there will be a delay in shipping.” If a buyer sees that, buys the item, and THEN throws a fit about the shipping time, you would be completely blameless. The seller essentially agreed to the delay as part of the “contract”. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 02:52:47 AM »
I thought away auto message is for stores. Nor do people care about that when they leave feedback.

There's a way to mass edit auctions.. can you cancel thru that?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
Yes!
I've seen that 'seller away till x' at the top! I saw it many months ago on a Chinese listing, but I can't find how to do it here. That's what I need to be able to put up there, because like banditpony says, they don't care about automessages while leaving feedback. They've got to know up front & I've got to figure out how to make them. If I get to the answer, I'll put it in this thread so future people can maybe look it up / use it also as it would be useful to know just where to go.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »
I think some features are only available to people who sell in large quantities-

When I have to go on vacation and have listings still open-  I just end them and put them back up when I return. 

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
Yes!
I've seen that 'seller away till x' at the top! I saw it many months ago on a Chinese listing, but I can't find how to do it here.

It's for people with stores...
https://www.ebay.com/pages/br/help/sell/placing-store-vacation.html#changing

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:41:46 AM by banditpony »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 02:39:45 PM »
People with stores can use "vacation mode", which gives the "seller is away" message.

If you don't have a store, you can end your listings.  Including mass-ending multiple listings at once.  I use the "classic" My eBay Seller view so I don't have any input on how to do it from the "new" My eBay view.

Unfortunately you can't just pause listings if you don't have a store.  It's certainly very annoying.  I've gone from listing items at any time I have a little time, to only listing them between 5 pm to 7 pm when I know I'll be home.   I often use Scheduled starts now to make sure all my listings fall within that time.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »
As everyone says, it's only with a store that you can put your items on vacation mode. But luckily eBay does have the option for a starter store if you don't have a ton of listings for like $5 a month. I find it worth the extra price for not having to deal with the hassle of cancelling auctions and having 50 extra listings per month.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »
I feel your pain. The Good til Cancelled change drives me crazy.

One option you have if you absolutely do not want  to end the listings is to extend your handling time (30 business days is the highest). If you extend your handling time there is a message on the listing showing the seller has an extended handling time. You could also add a note at the beginning of each listing stating you cannot ship until X date, bolded/underlined/highlighted etc (you can use the bulk edit tool and add the comment to every listing). However, many people don't read descriptions let alone the handling time so you may still end up with an angry, impatient buyer. The safest option of course is to just cancel all the listings and relist when you get back.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 06:26:24 AM »
I feel your pain. The Good til Cancelled change drives me crazy.

One option you have if you absolutely do not want  to end the listings is to extend your handling time (30 business days is the highest). If you extend your handling time there is a message on the listing showing the seller has an extended handling time. You could also add a note at the beginning of each listing stating you cannot ship until X date, bolded/underlined/highlighted etc (you can use the bulk edit tool and add the comment to every listing). However, many people don't read descriptions let alone the handling time so you may still end up with an angry, impatient buyer. The safest option of course is to just cancel all the listings and relist when you get back.
I have my handling time set on 5 days because of my work schedule. I had a buyer send me a nasty e-mail on day 3 wanting to know why I didn't send it. I politely emailed her and said due to my work schedule, and that my handling time is listed on my listing... and sent out early day 4. She got it within 1 week of buying (which included a holiday). She still dinged me for stars.

u_u; People on ebay have no heart. They expect a quicker turnaround then standard shipping for any big box store.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 09:26:24 AM »
Yeah, in the collectibles section especially lots of sellers have a 9-to-5 job.  It's like buyers forget that not everyone is Amazon, with an army of drones and delivery trucks.

About the 30 day handling time option, like flying_narwhal said, a lot of buyers do not read the terms or descriptions.  So if you go that route I would highly recommend messaging each buyer, right after they buy, and make sure they saw / understand the handling time.  And if they aren't willing to wait, just cancel their payment and relist. (You should get your fees back.)

It may seem unfair that you have to do that due to THEM not reading your terms, but in the long run it's less stressful and less risky for your stars / feedback.

But overall, I think it's better just to end all the listings.  You will be able to relist them with a few clicks later on.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 01:13:29 PM »
I have my handling time set on 5 days because of my work schedule. I had a buyer send me a nasty e-mail on day 3 wanting to know why I didn't send it. I politely emailed her and said due to my work schedule, and that my handling time is listed on my listing... and sent out early day 4. She got it within 1 week of buying (which included a holiday). She still dinged me for stars.

u_u; People on ebay have no heart. They expect a quicker turnaround then standard shipping for any big box store.
Agreed. I had someone take their time paying, finally paid late Friday night and send me a message early Saturday morning asking when I was going to ship... on a HOLIDAY weekend no less...

But overall, I think it's better just to end all the listings.  You will be able to relist them with a few clicks later on.
Totally agree. It's just so much more relaxing going on vacation knowing you don't have to deal with impatient buyers. When I did have a store and put it on vacation mode with the option enabled to prevent buyers from purchasing I still had someone harassing me to let them buy the item and ship it out... I must've told them 5 times that I was on vacation and they needed to wait.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal