collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do You Prefer SS Ponies With Their Flocking or Without?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: Do You Prefer SS Ponies With Their Flocking or Without?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
I like both! I have 10 deflocks and my favourite ones in their original SS form too. They’re interesting to compare. Mint SS are beautiful. But if their flocking is bad, like really really bad I think they definitely look better without. Otherwise they look like they have a bad case of mange XD

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 11:21:32 AM »
I like both! I have 10 deflocks and my favourite ones in their original SS form too. They’re interesting to compare. Mint SS are beautiful. But if their flocking is bad, like really really bad I think they definitely look better without. Otherwise they look like they have a bad case of mange XD

Oooo which ponies do you have de-flocked?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 04:58:29 PM »
I LOVE flocking. I love the feel of it. It's like a having a real, fluffy pony... but tiny!

And I've been wanting to custom flock a pony for ages...
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 06:15:02 PM »
I like both too but I prefer my ponies to have their flocking. I like fuzzy ponies. :) I have done a deflock with Taffy I think she is my only one. I tried doing a deflock to a SS twilight but I didnt keep her long.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 09:18:48 PM »
The answer is that I like both but I have a space issue and I also like restoring ponies so I only have de-flocked ones or ponies waiting to be de-flocked. I just remembered that part of the reason I started de-flocking was also because there are a lot of iconic pegasus ponies in this collection and I wanted to even out the numbers in my collection. I only buy ponies to de-flock where I also correct other common issues like bad hair, tail rust etc. I spent ages deflocking a SS Twilight only to discover that she has an issue with the molding on her neck. I think may be her head is not her original. Anyway, she always looks odd. I guess this is a risk with buying any baits on Ebay. I have also de-flocked Angel, Good Wishes, Magic Star, Bouncy, Truly x 2, Hippety Hop x2 and Paradise x2 and I have partially de-flocked Lofty and Ribbon in my cupboard. As other people have mentioned, the glue on some can be a lot tougher. I have always wanted a Lofty and it's so frustrating that I can't finish her yet! I think she was in the comics a lot maybe, or for some other reason I had heard of her when I was a kid and but this was her only type of release.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 09:37:52 PM »
This thread was good luck! I found a wild SS Paradise today. Her flocking is about 6/10 - 7/10 I'm debating selling since I already have a mint one, or deflocking even though her flocking isn't *that* bad.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 11:10:05 PM »
The answer is that I like both but I have a space issue and I also like restoring ponies so I only have de-flocked ones or ponies waiting to be de-flocked. I just remembered that part of the reason I started de-flocking was also because there are a lot of iconic pegasus ponies in this collection and I wanted to even out the numbers in my collection. I only buy ponies to de-flock where I also correct other common issues like bad hair, tail rust etc. I spent ages deflocking a SS Twilight only to discover that she has an issue with the molding on her neck. I think may be her head is not her original. Anyway, she always looks odd. I guess this is a risk with buying any baits on Ebay. I have also de-flocked Angel, Good Wishes, Magic Star, Bouncy, Truly x 2, Hippety Hop x2 and Paradise x2 and I have partially de-flocked Lofty and Ribbon in my cupboard. As other people have mentioned, the glue on some can be a lot tougher. I have always wanted a Lofty and it's so frustrating that I can't finish her yet! I think she was in the comics a lot maybe, or for some other reason I had heard of her when I was a kid and but this was her only type of release.
Good luck de-flocking Lofty ad Ribbon! Hope you can get it done soon so you can fully enjoy Lofty. Also sorry to hear about the Twilight issue :(
This thread was good luck! I found a wild SS Paradise today. Her flocking is about 6/10 - 7/10 I'm debating selling since I already have a mint one, or deflocking even though her flocking isn't *that* bad.
Oh my really?? That's so awesome! It's so hard to come by SS in the wild...Also you do whatever will make you the happiest. If you want to sell her, go ahead, or if you want to de-flock her, have at it.  ^.^

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 12:47:03 AM »
Lofty and Ribbon had a considerable UK presence but weren't sold here as part of the movie set, so I guess we all feel a bit shortchanged by their lack of regular versions. Paradise too because she was advertised with the Estate, but it never happened in the end.

I guess I should say that I'm not against the deflocking of damaged SS ponies but I have a moral concern about people deflocking SS ponies that look exactly the same as their regular counterparts under the fur. Although you can tell with close scrutiny, it can be misleading and a lot of people dislike marking their ponies as deflocks or customs for some reason, so in my view there are some ponies that should never be deflocked under any circs.

Truly and Cupcake top that list as the regular versions sell for a lot of money so the temptation for someone unscrupulous to run a scam is high. I think North Star and Gusty are also pretty like their regular counterparts under the fur, though I genuinely don't see the point in deflocking either since I'm pretty sure at least SS Gusty is more hard to find than the movie star one in general and certainly not worth less...Buttons also matches one version of the Movie Star release so I would also call her risky to deflock.

I don't even see the point in considering deflocking Sundance when the regular is so much more common. I guess the same can be applied to CJ, Posey, etc. I am not sure how close Posey is deflocked to the 1986 European one but I am pretty sure she's worth more flocked.

Shady also seems a bit pointless although even under her fur the SS is not as vividly pink as the movie star one I grew up with (whose comic character also eclipses the animated one, fittingly).

The others - Magic Star, Wind Whistler (who is similar but a darker blue and all pink whistles), and any of the ponies who never had a regular version (so Ribbon, Lofty, Paradise, Best Wishes and all of the 2nd/3rd sets) are fair game to me if their flocking is wrecked because they can't be mistaken for the original.

As for SS Satin and Lace - I think you'd get hate mail if you deflocked her ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starstrider

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »
For a long time I was wasn't a fan of de-flocked ponies.  A few years ago I was desperately looking for a SS Angel, but she was always way out of my price range or had really manky flocking, so I hadn't had any luck.  So when I saw a de-flocked Angel, I thought she might be as good as I was going to get, so I grabbed her.  It wasn't until I actually had her in my hands that I really started to like her. Now I'm a fan of both - but on the caveat that people shouldn't de-flock a mint or near mint pony.  I can't stand seeing SS ponies with good flocking having it stripped off them. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:13:38 AM by starstrider »

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
Here are my deflocks :)

I’d like to add Angel, Scrumptious and Bangles and then I think I’m done!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
I love them with there flocking unless its pretty worn out. Then off with it! 

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 04:12:56 PM »
I love them both ways. ^.^ Thick, velvety flocking is so nice to nuzzle, but the colors and symbols of So Softs are easier to appreciate when they're deflocked.

I would never deflock a SS with good (or even middling) flocking, but once they get mangy I think deflocking makes them look worlds better!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
I deflock only if the flocking is really bad, like the Posey I got in an eBay lot that had chunks of flocking come off in my hand every time I touched her.  She's much prettier now.  I've also done a North Star and Magic Star, both of whom had their flocking worn down to the glue (also purchased these second hand) and they looked terrible.  I wish I'd thought to take before and after pictures of them.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2019, 09:08:42 PM »
Oh my really?? That's so awesome! It's so hard to come by SS in the wild...Also you do whatever will make you the happiest. If you want to sell her, go ahead, or if you want to de-flock her, have at it.  ^.^

My previous wild find, a year ago at a yard sale, also included a SS (Heartthrob) in a bit better condition (also a baby sea pony, 4 bushwoolies, and 2 Princess wands, none of which the seller recognized as MLP besides Heartthrob). So far my only yard sale G1 find and my only thrift store G1 find.
Considering Paradise costed me a whopping 30 cents, I'd say it wouldn't be a waste of my money if I made her my test subject. Never deflocked nor beheaded a pony before. Besides, I wanted NSS Paradise and originally 'settled' for a flocked one.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 01:03:16 PM »
Without. I never really liked the flocking, not even as a kid. I always was partia to the original, no gimmick ponies :P
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal