collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do You Prefer SS Ponies With Their Flocking or Without?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
Do You Prefer SS Ponies With Their Flocking or Without?
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »
     Recently I was looking at some de-flocked So Soft ponies and I realized how much I prefer them without the flocking than with it. They just have such neon colors underneath and it gets muddled out by the flocking. I know that in places outside the US (I'm not sure if it was only the UK or in places outside the UK) that they had some of the ponies here that were flocked as not having any flocking (Like Shady and Wind Whistler) and I honestly think they look so much better. That's not to say that if I found a So Soft pony I'd just go and hack all of the flocking off because I prefer the look, but if the flocking was just beyond fixing (ex. if most of it was already gone or something like that) and was overall just making the pony look worse then I'd probably be okay with de-flocking it (although I'd still probably be a bit hesitant because it's original to the pony and everything).
     But overall, I just think I'm more-so a fan of the look than anything. I prefer ponies without a specific gimmick. There are very few gimmicks that I actually like so I'm probably biased in that sense. Maybe if I actually ever felt a so soft pony, I'd be a fan of the flocking more, but as it currently stands look wise I prefer no flocking.
      What do you guys think though? Are you a fan of the flocking? Do you think there should've been more ponies with flocking? Do you dislike it? Are you indifferent to it?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Prefer SS Ponies With Their Flocking or Without?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »
I agree with you about flocked and special ponies.. I just never really got into them ( especially G3 gem ponies I just prefer normal flat symbols) But Pretty much the only exception for me is  SS crumpet.. looks good both ways.. her yellow comes out more then white SS.  :) Look forward to hearing others opinions!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:34:53 PM »
I absolutely love flocking! If a toy has flocking (be it a pony, a Sylvanian, a Shoppet, or whatever) I’m about 75% more likely to buy it. XD It just adds such a cute effect, IMO.

That said, vintage SS ponies can get into seriously rough shape. If flocking is moldy, matted, and half missing, I always deflock. It is a little sad, since like you said, it’s original to the pony... but flocking that far gone is never again going to be what it was. It’s great that they have such bright, beautiful colors underneath... It really gives the pony a second life after their flocking is beyond help. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
I absolutely love flocking! If a toy has flocking (be it a pony, a Sylvanian, a Shoppet, or whatever) I’m about 75% more likely to buy it. XD It just adds such a cute effect, IMO.

That said, vintage SS ponies can get into seriously rough shape. If flocking is moldy, matted, and half missing, I always deflock. It is a little sad, since like you said, it’s original to the pony... but flocking that far gone is never again going to be what it was. It’s great that they have such bright, beautiful colors underneath... It really gives the pony a second life after their flocking is beyond help. :)

Flocking can get moldy?  :shocked: I never knew that! I just knew that it could rub off, get extremely dirty, and I think the glue underneath can yellow and make the pony look yellowed? Flocking is a lot more delicate than I thought...Can moldy flocking spread to the actual pony and make it's plastic moldy as well?

Also, that's such a nice way to put it. :) If I ever have to de-flock a pony in the restoration process, I'll forever think of it as a better-good sort of thing and that they'll be having a happier, more vibrant second life ;)

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 07:46:06 PM »
I  originally wanted deflocked or NSS Paradise because flocking yellows faster. But once I obtained a near-mint SS Paradise, I fell in love with nice minty soft flocking! I would still love a non-flocked Paradise but I'm happy with my SS.

So, I wish both SS and NSS were equally available.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
With. Always.

Unless the flocking is screwed beyond repair (i.e pee, mildew, mold, botched deflocking job, radioactive goop that may or may not give you superpowers), then it should be left alone.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 08:30:59 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 08:30:02 PM »
I can kind of understand their appeal especially to children, but I like it more when a pony has a clearly visible symbol and isn't coated with material that just seems like an inevitable magnet for wear and dirt ;)
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 09:07:35 PM »
Flocking can get moldy?  :shocked: I never knew that! I just knew that it could rub off, get extremely dirty, and I think the glue underneath can yellow and make the pony look yellowed? Flocking is a lot more delicate than I thought...Can moldy flocking spread to the actual pony and make it's plastic moldy as well?

Also, that's such a nice way to put it. :) If I ever have to de-flock a pony in the restoration process, I'll forever think of it as a better-good sort of thing and that they'll be having a happier, more vibrant second life ;)

Unfortunately, yes... flocking can get moldy. :( It’s very icky... though I’ve heard it can be treated/cleaned, in some cases.

I don’t know whether or not moldy flocking can spread to the actual body. There are many different species of mold, so it’s possible that the kind that lives in the flocking (possibly feeding off of the adhesive...or some type of ingrained filth) wouldn’t be able to survive on vinyl/plasticizer. But that is PURELY speculation on my part. I deflocked a Magic Star with filthy, patchy, matted, and very possibly moldy flocking, recently. When I opened her up for cleaning, I discovered several small, black dots—most likely mold—on the inside of one hoof (there was absolutely no mold on the outside of the pony’s plastic). That doesn't really prove anything though, since a mold-friendly environment could have easily allowed two unrelated types of mold to form independent of each other. (Magic Star cleaned up beautifully by the way, after a couple of boil treatments and a good deflocking. Thus, moldy flocking is no indication of the state of the bright, colorful plastic beneath. :))

Flocking glue can also yellow, but the effect isn’t usually too terrible IMO.

Vintage flocking is indeed rather delicate! I preserve it whenever I can, but when it’s just beyond salvage... It is cool that there’s this gorgeous pony underneath, just waiting to be unearthed. :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:09:10 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 12:52:45 AM »
I prefer without flocking, however I have come to appreciate a good flocking, like near mint.
I won't deflock anypony that has nearly mint flocking. I have best wishes with near mint flocking so she's gonna keep that flocking. However if I could I would deflock them all, but that won't be right. I still love my best wishes tho, flocking and all :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 02:50:31 AM »
Nothing beats minty flock.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 02:51:10 AM »
I HATE flocking.  I have a tactile aversion to it and touching it kind of makes me nauseous.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 05:44:35 AM »
I like ponies original. Flocking is a must for me.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »
I grew up in a place where we never had SS so if I must choose, the movie versions are gonna win. Especially Magic Star and Shady who are imo superior in all respects to their wishy washy flocked counterparts.

But I actually have a mint SS shady and her mintness is fascinating to me as well.

I like SS ponies a lot but some...like Ribbon and Paradise...should have come without.  Paradise there was even that prototype.

I have a couple of deflocks - Ribbon, Twilight, Hippety and Fifi, all from abused bases, and love them that way.

In my opinion flocking is fine but regular is better. And the biggest missed opportunity was a regular Twist. I don't have a deflock yet but have the Brazilian one and the colours are awesome.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline cottoncandycafe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • small plastic horse enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • my pony tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
I don't own any deflocks and doubt i'll ever go out of my way to get one. I just really love gimmicky ponies and the fuzzy feeling of a near-mint SS- my Bouncy was the jewel of my collection for a long time.  :)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
I like minty flocking and if the pony was originally meant to be flocked, I'd rather they stay that way.  It gives the pony a lovely sparkle.  But I'm not against deflocking either.  A pony with hopeless flocking looks so much better deflocked.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal