collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help with G2 eye crystals...  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Help with G2 eye crystals...
« on: June 16, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »
I need to replace the eye gems on some adult G2 ponies. I checked Lavender Lagoon’s page on the subject, which was very helpful as far as color-matching goes, but encountered a couple of stumbling points while shopping for Swarovski crystals...

1: LL’s guide says that the correct size for adult G2 ponies is “SS10 or SS12”. But which is the closest to the original crystal’s size? Most of my ponies are missing only one eye, so I’d like the replacements to match as closely as possible.

2: LL’s guide states that the shape of crystal needed is “pointback”, but I’m not turning up any results with that keyword. :( Has Swarovski renamed the shape? If so, what name should I look for them under? Swarovski sells a dizzying array of shapes and cuts. :blink:

Thank you! :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Help with G2 eye crystals...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »
I'm not a G2 collector, but here's my amateur take as a fan of tiny-shinies.

1: My G2s eye crystals look to be a scootch under 3mm, so I would personally go for the SS10/PP22 first. The size difference between those and SS12/PP24 is only a few tenths of a millimeter though, so the difference likely won't be that noticeable either way.

2: Pointback just means it's not a flatback. ;) So when viewed from the side, it has a sticky-outy bit on the back to fit into the socket, instead of being flat like a rhinestone you would glue to a piece of paper. You could also try the fancier term "chaton". As far as specific cuts go, I prefer the old 1028 Xilion rounds to the newer 1088 Xirius, but I don't think those are easy to come by anymore. (Although again, it's not a significant difference since the stones are so small.)

Hope that helps a little bit. Good luck with your restorations!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 05:38:30 PM »
I'm not a G2 collector, but here's my amateur take as a fan of tiny-shinies.

1: My G2s eye crystals look to be a scootch under 3mm, so I would personally go for the SS10/PP22 first. The size difference between those and SS12/PP24 is only a few tenths of a millimeter though, so the difference likely won't be that noticeable either way.

2: Pointback just means it's not a flatback. ;) So when viewed from the side, it has a sticky-outy bit on the back to fit into the socket, instead of being flat like a rhinestone you would glue to a piece of paper. You could also try the fancier term "chaton". As far as specific cuts go, I prefer the old 1028 Xilion rounds to the newer 1088 Xirius, but I don't think those are easy to come by anymore. (Although again, it's not a significant difference since the stones are so small.)

Hope that helps a little bit. Good luck with your restorations!

:tackleglomp:

THANK YOU. That really helps. I know nothing about Swarovski crystals. XD

EDIT: So are these what I’m looking for?: https://www.fusionbeads.com/search?keywords=Xirius%20pp18

And what’s the best place online to buy them? Thanks!

This might help a little? http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/symbols.html#TwinkleEyes

Thank you. :) I visited there first, and the “where to buy” recommendations are helpful, as well as the color names. Unfortunately, I have very little clue what I’m doing once I get to the shopping sites. >_<; There are about a bajillion kinds of Swarovski crystals, it seems. T_T
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:07:12 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »
I think PP18 might be a little bit too small, but you're almost there! My G2s' eye chips look to be about 2.8mm, so I would probably go with the PP24 size at 3mm over the PP18s at 2.4mm :)

As far as where to buy... I guess it depends on how many restorations you need to do and in what colors. Most places online sell small crystals in packs of 10 or 12, but if you only need one or two, I would probably suggest artbeads.com. They have a limited selection at the moment -- only dark pink, dark blue, and white for G2 colors -- but you can buy them singly.

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »
I think PP18 might be a little bit too small, but you're almost there! My G2s' eye chips look to be about 2.8mm, so I would probably go with the PP24 size at 3mm over the PP18s at 2.4mm :)

As far as where to buy... I guess it depends on how many restorations you need to do and in what colors. Most places online sell small crystals in packs of 10 or 12, but if you only need one or two, I would probably suggest artbeads.com. They have a limited selection at the moment -- only dark pink, dark blue, and white for G2 colors -- but you can buy them singly.

Well, after hours of scouring the web for info on replacing G2 eyes... The only consistency I could find was people insisting that PP18/2.4-2.5mm is the necessary size, even though (going by size charts), I’d be inclined to agree with your 24PP/3mm recommendation. :shrug: I wonder if the bigger crystals are a tiny smidge too big, and don’t sit correctly in the indentation, even though they’re closer in size?

The crystals are’t that pricey, so I’m going to start with the PP18. If they look odd, then I’ll purchase the PP24 and post comparisons between the two. At least then the mystery will be solved. >_<; Thank you for your help!

Art Beads was the first place I looked, but they sadly don’t have the colors I need. :cry: I ended up ordering from the site I linked (Fusion Beads). I won a rather large lot of G2s, so I have lots of eyes to replace anyway, lol. XD It’ll be nice to have some extra crystals around, in case any future additions to my herd need them. :)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:18:10 PM »
When placing replacement eyes on your pony, do not use superglue as it clouds up the foil-backing of the chaton, causing it to lose sparkle; instead, use some kind of epoxy resin e.g. Araldite.

:)

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:18 AM »
When placing replacement eyes on your pony, do not use superglue as it clouds up the foil-backing of the chaton, causing it to lose sparkle; instead, use some kind of epoxy resin e.g. Araldite.

Thank you! I am EXTREMELY glad you told me that. XD I was totally just going to E6000 it.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 01:58:42 AM »
Hi friend! Check out Moonbreeze's website Lavendar Lagoon!

http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/eye-crystals.html
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »

Thank you! I am EXTREMELY glad you told me that. XD I was totally just going to E6000 it.

You're welcome!  :biggrin:

Hi friend! Check out Moonbreeze's website Lavendar Lagoon!

http://www.lavenderlagoon.com/eye-crystals.html

Intersting to see their crystal colour list:
Green = (Light) Peridot
Regular Pink = Rose
Dark Pink = Fuchsia
Blue = Aqua Bohemica
Dark Blue = Blue Zircon
​White = Clear Crystal
Size: SS10 or  SS12

This might help a little? http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/symbols.html#TwinkleEyes

...and the colours/sizes shown on this site:
Peridot, Amethyst, Light Rose, Light Sapphire, Rose, Sapphire.
size SS12 or PP18
size babies is PP14

Hmm, I am sure I have some vintage Swarovski chatons in those colours and sizes stashed away somewhere (or away in storage) if I ever find them, that is!  :lol:

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
My order from Fusion Beads arrived today!

I’m happy to report that Swarovski Xirius/1088 chaton crystals in size 2.4mm/PP18 are a perfect size match for adult G2 ponies. :) (Putting that in bold/underline to help out any future G2 restorers who skim this thread.)

Thank you so much for your help, everyone! I can’t wait to work on the restorations. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal