collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did anyone else not care about mlp as a kid?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
Did anyone else not care about mlp as a kid?
« on: June 12, 2019, 02:00:05 AM »
Like I had a sea pony baby I loved. But the adult G1 ponies I could have cared less about.  I can't even remember the couple I had. And as an adult until g4 came out and I started collecting them I thought G1 ponies were ugly. Then I got some in a lot which I intended to sell but fell in love. Now I love all generations.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Did anyone else not care about mlp as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 05:26:22 AM »
I was a kid when G3 was out, and I guess because my sisters got ponies I thought of it as Their thing. I didn't hate them, and I did play with them, but I didn't buy them. I was buying LPS instead! I got hooked on the G4 show and then started collecting older generations about two years after.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:31:29 AM »
G3 was in stores when I was a kid, but I wasn't into ponies back then. I remember playing with and enjoying LPS and the 2000s era of Polly Pockets... I didn't get into ponies until 2011 as a teenager with G4.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »
I obviously was a G1 kid BUT I didn't jump on the bandwagon right away. I wasn't super interested in Windy when I was given her, and it took me a couple of years to really get into them. I had my first pony at almost 3 but I really got into them when I was 5 or 6.

I am fairly sure if I was a kid now (or in the last six to eight years) I would've ignored ponies completely and gone for Monster High. As a kid I had a horror of pink packaging and the pink aisle, which is where MLP is firmly ensconsced since G3. Later G1 had pink cards but I was hooked by that time - if I had come to MLP late it would have put me off, probably.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 02:22:02 PM »
My mom said she bought me G2 when I was really little but I didn’t care about it. When I was a little bit older I didn’t like G3 because I was into horses at the time and didn’t like the unnatural colors.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
I was just a kid when g3 was out too. I have two from my childhood that I got as birthday gifts, but I never really played with them much. Childish me didn’t want them, and as I got older and playground rhymes did too, I barely acknowledged their presence. It wasn’t until 2013 that I would start to get into the pony scene.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »
I was a kid when G3 was new too, and thought they were dreadful back then.  I got into G4 from the show and just kind of fell in love with the general concept of rainbow horses and ended up here.

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »
G3 was in stores when I was a kid, but I wasn't into ponies back then. I remember playing with and enjoying LPS and the 2000s era of Polly Pockets... I didn't get into ponies until 2011 as a teenager with G4.

Same here! My exact story haha.

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »
G3 was out when I was a kid and I used to tease my friends who had them for being "too girly"
Oh how the tables have turned..  :blush:

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
I was four years old the year My Little Pony first started.   Ugh I feel old now.   
Anyway I saw them and the commercials and thought they were silly.  Horses were my favourite animal ever since I saw the Black Stallion movie when I was three yet MLP I really hated.   I didn't like the proportions of them.  I wanted more realistic shaped horses.
It's all weird to me that I thought that since I had such a wild imagination and loved make believe and fantasy characters.

Then when I was around seven my grandmother took my shopping and let me pick out a toy.  I'd seen a Barnum and Bailey's TV special the night before with a "unicorn"..aka one horned goat.  I was obsessed with unicorns and wanted something to remember that "unicorn" I'd seen on TV.   So I picked out a MLP, Gusty.   There weren't any all white ponies, much to my disappointment but at least she had a white body like that "goat-icorn".   I also got the Best of the West outfit at the same time.

And with that I fell down the rabbit hole head over heels and still have that Gusty (sadly don't have the original outfit) and probably 600 other ponies.  I collect all generations, even a few 3.5's just for representation but G1 will always be my jam.

Then one day a non-pony friend asks me if I knew the name Kirk Hindman.  Turned out she and her husband have been good friends of his for years.  OMG WUT??    They told him about their pony crazy friend and he asked them to get a pony from me so he could sign it.   That didn't end up happening though, instead I got to meet him and his lovely wife and he signed Bubbles in person.  So i know them too.   It's such a funny, crazy small world sometimes.   To go from someone who hated MLP at a young child to where I am now. 

Last year went to my first MLP Fair and went a bit crazy with nostalgia and shopping.   70 ponies is not extreme?  Noooo.....   
Now onto this year's event in Tampa and the non-pony friend mentioned above is coming too.   They want to see what the MLP community is like and see their buddy Kirk in his element.  :D

Ok that was a lot longer that what I intended to write...   I hope no one is comatose.   

Offline nebulavery

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
I was firmly a G3 kid as a child. I had exactly one G1 (Baby Glory), and for the longest time she was ostracized from the herd as a fakie. Whoops!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 03:08:21 AM »
I never even knew G3 existed until I started collecting. I had never even know about the boy ponies in G1 until then and I am almost 40 xD. If I didn't like something I paid 0 attention to it an I was more he-man, transformers .

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 05:23:08 AM »
As a kid I didn't care about the toys but I loved the MLP cartoon. I still to this day mostly love toys because of the animated show.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »

Same here! My exact story haha.

Similar story except it was the original LPS. In the US there wasn't really MLP in the 90s. I got into G3 when I got back into LPS with the new generation.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »
I recently learned that I played with G1 MLPs when I was really young. However, I don't remember it very well. In my later childhood I don't recall having any attachment to MLP. I don't remember even feeling one way or another about it when I came across it, like in advertisements.

So I was technically a childhood MLP girl, but only technically. My interest in MLP sprung in 2011 with G4, but eventually evolved from being interested in FiM to G3 toys and now G1 toys as well.

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal