collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Just in time for Pride month, MLP FiM introduces same sex Pony couple! :D  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
As far as I'm concerned, I want to see the day where a same sex couple is in a show and it's just something with no needs to special fanfare. 

You may check out The Loud House. There is a gay dad couple that is also interracial. They raise the protagonist's best friend. One of the sisters of the protag also has an episode dedicated to her where everybody assumes she is in love with a guy but it's a girl and in the end it is no big deal.

There are also a couple of Cartoon Network shows that had/have gay couples in minor roles. Over 10 years ago there was the Nick show Braceface where a recurring character was having a boyfriend and nobody minded.

I think we need actual romance to be shown between same-sex characters. Just showing them and implying something isn't equal treatment. It would have been nice if the kiss from the book was in the show. Now it looks like Hasbro wanted rainbow cookies for doing the least. And us people who are same-sex attracted need to stop being thankful and teary eyed because of it. It's like Korra and Asami holding hands by the end of the show when all throughout they were romancing dudes.

Like I said, as a kid in the 90s I was aware that Sailor Mercury and Uranus were lesbians. Because kids get social cues like looking longingly at each other, holding hands, hugging someone's back and especially the pink cherry petals that came flying when they appeared together :lol:
Not saying MLP needs this but they show cartoon hearts in eyes and crap. Crysalis had more love thrown her way by other characters than was visible between Lofty and Holiday :P

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Not exactly a super obvious same sex couple.

Hell even Arthur did a better job.  Only a half a cookie for you Hasbro, you weenies.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile

Right? And Disney Channel is about to air their live-action show about 4 gay dads.

Apparently gay ponies are too difficult to portray *cough* Rainbow Dash looks like a walking Pride flag *cough*

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
G3 hinted at a couple with Star Flight and Heart Bright. They were "as close as two ponies could be" and did absolutely everything together, including sleeping in the same bed, drinking from the same smoothie, and dreaming the same dreams.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:54:54 PM by lalalei2001 »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Like I said, as a kid in the 90s I was aware that Sailor Mercury and Uranus were lesbians. Because kids get social cues like looking longingly at each other, holding hands, hugging someone's back and especially the pink cherry petals that came flying when they appeared together :lol:
Not saying MLP needs this but they show cartoon hearts in eyes and crap. Crysalis had more love thrown her way by other characters than was visible between Lofty and Holiday :P

It was Neptune and Uranus that were the lesbians.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile

Right? And Disney Channel is about to air their live-action show about 4 gay dads.

Apparently gay ponies are too difficult to portray *cough* Rainbow Dash looks like a walking Pride flag *cough*

Right, I always thought RD was kind of an obnoxious sporty lesbian.  It would have been so easy Hasbro, seriously.

At least have the couple look at each other and blush or hearts or SOMETHING.

Yes, something like Haruka and Michiru-  (although for that example I was always so baffled and annoyed that the US version tried to make them cousins or something? Ridiculous. The first time I saw that couple- I could not believe it. They were so obviously a couple. A very romantic couple. They said some pretty bold stuff!

Look at this fun quotes museum that collected all of the relationship quotes all together-  and this was 1995!!!!
http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/oceanwinds/Quotes.html

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile

It was obviously a typo. In my previous post I said Haruka and Michiru so I know who I'm talking about :rolleyes: I just got the names of the water senshi mixed up.

Right, I always thought RD was kind of an obnoxious sporty lesbian.  It would have been so easy Hasbro, seriously.

Yes, something like Haruka and Michiru-  (although for that example I was always so baffled and annoyed that the US version tried to make them cousins or something? Ridiculous. The first time I saw that couple- I could not believe it. They were so obviously a couple. A very romantic couple. They said some pretty bold stuff!

Look at this fun quotes museum that collected all of the relationship quotes all together-  and this was 1995!!!!

I am so forever glad the German dub did not do this. Even though sadly cousin marriage was/is still legal and we only got same-sex marriage in 2017 :lookround:

The German dub even had some interesting choices regarding Rai. Some translations heavily implied that she was bi while in the original it was very subtle. Starting with season 2 the German dub became excellent. We don't talk about season 1 because it was done by a different studio and they made Zoisite a woman...
But in general the US dub was horribly censored in so many areas, I honestly feel bad for any kid having to watch that. It's good they made a new one.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:23:13 AM by Zapper »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile

It was obviously a typo. In my previous post I said Haruka and Michiru so I know who I'm talking about :rolleyes: I just got the names of the water senshi mixed up.

I am so forever glad the German dub did not do this. Even though sadly cousin marriage was/is still legal and we only got same-sex marriage in 2017 :lookround:

The German dub even had some interesting choices regarding Rai. Some translations heavily implied that she was bi while in the original it was very subtle. Starting with season 2 the German dub became excellent. We don't talk about season 1 because it was done by a different studio and they made Zoisite a woman...
But in general the US dub was horribly censored in so many areas, I honestly feel bad for any kid having to watch that. It's good they made a new one.

Yes the censorship on the US cartoon was shocking-

Fortunately in 1996 I fell in with a group of anime nerds who feverishly collected and traded fan-dubbed cartoons- the quality was horrible but I did eventually get to see the original episodes of sailor moon as aired in Japan   

Ah, the late 90s. When the Anime Expo consisted of about 200 fans and vendors, haha ...

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Could we have a MLP Arena photo competition for same sex couples? I don't have Tornado unfortunately otherwise I'd totally do Tex and Tornado in a Brokeback Mountain setting. Or Shady and Tootie Tails in some kind of 1980s poolside montage. I guess people's Ponyverses might clash though :huh:

Edit: apparently there are no cacti in Brokeback Mountain. I should really watch it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:23:57 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
I really enjoyed this episode for a lot of reasons! Although I kinda wish Scootaloo HAD moved away from Ponyville because I think it's a really important lesson kids need to learn... how sometimes you have to say goodbye to friends and it sucks but you can make the best of it. And the CMC could have still kept in touch in other ways... But anyway, that's a tangent.

I loved the two aunts! I think it's kinda funny that FiM was known for being a landmark show that pushed boundaries, but it took this long for them to have a really confirmed gay couple and other shows like She-Ra, The Dragon Prince, Legend of Korra, Arthur, Steven Universe, Loud Family, etc. were more proactive before they were, in this regard.

Yeah there wasn't a LOT of obvious hints that they were a couple, but if two adult females are living together and you refer to both of them as your 'aunties'? Yeah, they are gay. There's not really much ambiguity there. Yes the show could have been more blatant, but I'm not going to claim the writers were trying to slide it in and have it be a situation where they could or could not be a couple, just to get props from the LGBT+ community. If you call two grown women who live together your aunts, unless it's stated that they are sisters, that's pretty clear.

(Also horray for them sliding in a G1 name with Auntie Lofty!)

It's funny... back in 2012 (I think? It was during season two) I was in a Hot Topic (and very embarrassed because all the workers were younger than me but I just wanted MLP merch!). And as I was cashing out, the cashier saw all my pony items and gushed, "I am SO GLAD they have a kids cartoon with openly gay characters now!"

I was very shy back then (even more than I am now LOL) and it was all I could do to smile and nod and grab my receipt and run away. To this day, I have no idea what she was referring to. Rainbow Dash? Lyra and Bonbon? Who knows! I don't think any of the characters in season 2 could be considered "openly gay." I think she was just projecting her wants onto the characters of the show.

But now, seven years later, we have a real confirmed gay couple in MLP FiM. :) I'm glad. I wonder if that cashier is still watching, and what she thinks of FiM now. lol.

G3 hinted at a couple with Star Flight and Heart Bright. They were "as close as two ponies could be" and did absolutely everything together, including sleeping in the same bed, drinking from the same smoothie, and dreaming the same dreams.

Omg I never made that connection before but heck yeah! Eating from the same dessert and sleeping in the same bed? These two are totally gay! XD
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
Aww, hooray for representation! I love this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal