collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Just in time for Pride month, MLP FiM introduces same sex Pony couple! :D  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
But, but—Lyra and BonBon! Don’t they count? :( (Or is that more in the EQ world than the regular one?)

This should be a great episode! :D I really gotta get caught up with this series; I think I’m still in season 6, maybe 7. X(
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline nebulavery

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Stopped watching the series quite a few seasons ago, but tidbits like this make me want to start again!  :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
How neat! I stopped watching ages ago, but my niece still watches he show. I’m sure her mom and dad will be thrilled.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
The Lyra and Bon Bon teases were really getting on my nerves (most blatantly showing up among other couples in the Valentine's Day episode from last season I think it was) but in advertising they were always called "Best Friends" Just gals being pals! YEAH RIGHT, HASBRO.

So, of course, I'm happy to see this! I hope that more children's media (including further MLP media) continues to normalize this, it's super important to show up in children's media... Coming from personal experience, a lot of us know we are LGBT at a very young age, but don't really know what our feelings are, and when what we are is absent from media, absent from everywhere, it is really disheartening. I felt so alone. No one should have to feel that way anymore!

Omitting it from children's media sends a message to children who both are LGBT and who are not LGBT, that it is something to be "othered" and let me tell you, that doesn't end well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
When they were introduced in the book there was much talk about how they could just be sisters, or people mad about Lyra/BonBon, because apparently there can only ever be ONE same-sex couple in anything... I'll make sure not to read too much about this on the internet :lookround:

Honestly, I am not too fond of the designs. But FiM loves its stereotypes. They kinda look a bit like a gay version of the Cakes to me: one is lanky and square and one is bubbly and pudgy.

I have seen the episode already, they are cute but...

Spoiler
There was not much indication that they are a romantic couple. In FiM ponies kiss and constantly infer that they are "special somepony" or husband/wife or in love. With these two it was really downplayed as opposed to the Cakes, the royal couple or Big Mac/Sugarbelle (whose episodes only ever center on their love for each other).
As a kid I wouldn't have caught it, while I was completely aware of Haruka/Michiru in Sailor Moon. And that was in the 90s. I guess kids are more aware now of aunt/auntie and two women living together, or...?
Ah, well.
It's sad how they put these two in now that they know the show is over. I hope they will at least return one more time.

PS: call me out of the loop but why is Pride an entire month now? :lol: Back when I paid attention to that and was like "ra ra ra I'm out and proud" it was only a week.

Offline PrincessTiffy

• Trade Count: (+233)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
So I’m confused, which couple is I guess the actual couple? The two pictures/designs are completely different. I personally love blue and yellow on ponies, but I think I like the color combinations in the second picture better. Not sure I like the first in which they both have yellow bodies lol.

The one where they're both yellow. The image in the tweet is fanart that someone drew shortly after they were introduced in a book.

Ah ok, thank you. To bad, I personally like the fanart better.

Post Merge: June 13, 2019, 06:55:17 AM

When they were introduced in the book there was much talk about how they could just be sisters, or people mad about Lyra/BonBon, because apparently there can only ever be ONE same-sex couple in anything... I'll make sure not to read too much about this on the internet :lookround:

Honestly, I am not too fond of the designs. But FiM loves its stereotypes. They kinda look a bit like a gay version of the Cakes to me: one is lanky and square and one is bubbly and pudgy.

I have seen the episode already, they are cute but...

Spoiler
There was not much indication that they are a romantic couple. In FiM ponies kiss and constantly infer that they are "special somepony" or husband/wife or in love. With these two it was really downplayed as opposed to the Cakes, the royal couple or Big Mac/Sugarbelle (whose episodes only ever center on their love for each other).
As a kid I wouldn't have caught it, while I was completely aware of Haruka/Michiru in Sailor Moon. And that was in the 90s. I guess kids are more aware now of aunt/auntie and two women living together, or...?
Ah, well.
It's sad how they put these two in now that they know the show is over. I hope they will at least return one more time.

PS: call me out of the loop but why is Pride an entire month now? :lol: Back when I paid attention to that and was like "ra ra ra I'm out and proud" it was only a week.

Almost every celebration is now a whole month lol. And there’s pretty much a national day for everything and anything.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:55:17 AM by PrincessTiffy »

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
That’s pretty cool!  Though I wish they didn’t make the Pegasus one of those weird-looking square ponies.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Sadly, the outrage has started and the calls to boycott MLP over this are thundering in some circles.  Humanity depresses me.

Seriously, there are NINE living heterosexual couples on this show and at one presumed dead.  And Starlight and Trixie are clearly meant to be a two-way friendship that's completely platonic.  One same sex couple his hardly pushing an agenda.  I bet many kids know at least one same sex couple at some point in their relationship from starting to date to being married.

I really don't have any strong opinion.  As far as I'm concerned, I want to see the day where a same sex couple is in a show and it's just something with no needs to special fanfare.  I care about what the episode is actually about and how these characters are and the chemistry between them.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline lalalei2001

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Weren't Scootaloo's aunts in a book before this episode? I seem to remember reading about it a while ago.

It's great that they made the jump to TV ^^ Sad that they were very downplayed as a couple, though :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 01:34:39 AM by lalalei2001 »

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
I'm confused... How are they same sex couple? I just watched the episode and it just seemed that the aunts were just living together like many family members do but not as a couple... :wonder:

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I'm confused... How are they same sex couple? I just watched the episode and it just seemed that the aunts were just living together like many family members do but not as a couple... :wonder:
Isn't it like one of those times when everyone claims how something happened on FIM but then it turns out it was actually just very subtly hinted at?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Isn't it like one of those times when everyone claims how something happened on FIM but then it turns out it was actually just very subtly hinted at?

They were previously introduced in a book, in the book Holiday kissed Lofty on the top of her head. One of the writers of this book series confirmed they were a couple on Twitter after it came out. These Tweets are embedded in the article posted in the OP. So yes they are a couple.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Oh ok that explains it! I had not read the book.  Thank you for the explanation!

Offline CactusBloom

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
I haven't seen the episode yet (or any of season 9) nor have I read the book that this couple debuted in, but I am so happy!

I have been wishing for a same-sex couple in MLP for so long, and figured it wouldn't happen. They probably saw that shows like Steven Universe and Arthur did it, so why shouldn't they?

Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal