collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: retro ponies/stranger things crossover????  (Read 34538 times)

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: retro ponies/stranger things crossover????
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
We also forget stranger things is set around the time MLP was released. So like characters (like Wills little sister) would have played with them.

Also her cutiemark is upside down. Which I think is a adorable touch

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »
What gives me pause is if it's a retro, it'd be produced by Basic Fun, right? Just seems kind of weird to have crossover merch that isn't made by Hasbro. Not sure how to put it, it just seems.. odd. Maybe that's just me, though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »
What gives me pause is if it's a retro, it'd be produced by Basic Fun, right? Just seems kind of weird to have crossover merch that isn't made by Hasbro. Not sure how to put it, it just seems.. odd. Maybe that's just me, though.

On the auction page the back of the package is visible, and the Basic Fun logo is down in the lower left corner. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
Interesting! 'Stranger Things' is shameless 80s nostalgia. They brought back those disgusting waffles, so why not a special pony? Season 3 might feature a scene where a pony toy gets influenced by The Upside Down :lol:

I think she looks really cool. And let's be real, they chose Applejack because she's also a G4 character and therefore easiest to recognize.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
I sort of hope this is an elaborate hoax because it's almost too wonderful to be real. :dribble: If it's legit, I'll have to get a least two, and my bank account was really looking forward to a Basic Fun break after Starflower and Pinwheel come out. :lol:

The one thing niggling at me is that the Netflix and Stranger Things logos look to be correct on the stickers, but the MLP logo isn't. It looks like it's in a De Vinne Ornament font, which is puzzling because obviously Basic Fun would have access to an accurate vintage logo. I don't know why they wouldn't use the real one when it's right there, unless for some reason Netflix designed the stickers on their own?? That doesn't seem like the kind of thing Hasbro would be okay with.

Erica is Lucas's sister, and she is going to play a bigger part in season 3, so I wonder if she will have ponies and the quote on the box unintentionally gave a tiny spoiler? If it's even real.

In Season 2, Erica had a few horse-themed items in her room, but no MLP that I saw. (And I was looking!) Maybe she'll be a bigger pony fan in S3 and that'll give Dustin an opportunity to tease her about it. Erica's response is sure to be priceless. XD

But I sort of wonder if it wasn't a line cut from their conversation in S2 since RaMC, which Dustin is obviously referencing, came out in 1984. The use of the word "trope" in this way is a definite anachronism though. Dustin is an early-adopter to be sure, but people weren't referring to literary motifs/clichés as "tropes" until the mid-late 90s. Maybe the showrunners realized that and cut it from the script?

Or maybe it's just a fun little demi-canon blurb for flavor. :P I can see 40-something Dustin playfully teasing adult pony collector Erica about her excitement over the Basic Fun repros.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 02:49:16 PM »
In Season 2, Erica had a few horse-themed items in her room, but no MLP that I saw. (And I was looking!) Maybe she'll be a bigger pony fan in S3 and that'll give Dustin an opportunity to tease her about it. Erica's response is sure to be priceless. XD

I want Erica to become our MLP ambassador. I am looking forward to more of her since she is such a sassy character.

Offline cottoncandycafe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • small plastic horse enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • my pony tumblr
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
Also, this wouldn’t be the first Hasbro/Stranger Things crossover... They made a themed Monopoly game before, and probably other merch I’m not remembering.

i just remembered hasbro owns d&d too, and recently they've released a stranger things-themed d&d campaign... the plot thickens...

jk, it just looks like hasbro has some kind of deal with netflix. which might support this spooky applejack being real =-)

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »
I love it! I need this so much! I hope I can get my hands on one or two!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
I’ve never watched Stranger Things.  Horror isn’t my thing.  But I find this piece of merch interesting and fun.  I might also get two, one open for a video and one to keep mib.

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
Oh my gosh I am over the moon right now. If this is legit I demand they make the rest of the year 2 earth ponies for this collab because I would buy 3 upside-down Seashells without hesitating.
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »
Wow!! I love this pony! I've seen all episodes of Stranger Things, but I would have wanted her even if I'd never watched it!  :)

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2019, 08:52:13 PM »
I'm not that fond of Applejack and I've never watched Stranger Things but I love this! I'll definitely get two if I stumble upon her!
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
I love this pony!  I do watch Stranger Things and I’m normally not ok with pony crossovers but, the idea of a pony toy being in the upside down is really cool.  I hope it is real.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2019, 11:54:58 PM »
I know they are bringing back new coke. So they already have one product crossover.

Post Merge: June 08, 2019, 11:56:35 PM

Interesting! 'Stranger Things' is shameless 80s nostalgia. They brought back those disgusting waffles, so why not a special pony? Season 3 might feature a scene where a pony toy gets influenced by The Upside Down :lol:

I think she looks really cool. And let's be real, they chose Applejack because she's also a G4 character and therefore easiest to recognize.
LMAO  eggos were never gone xD. I love them and they were still being made before the show.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:56:35 PM by gemini_pony »

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2019, 01:40:26 AM »
I ate so many Eggos when I was in the US,..they are amazing!!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal