collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony is for boys too....  (Read 5067 times)

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
Re: My Little Pony is for boys too....
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
Well imagine that. :biggrin:
Which issue is it in? I might get me a copy.

I was a g1 pony boy as a kid and i never felt uncomfortable collecting ponies :)

I'm sure at some point I brought one or two of mine to school with me (I know i brought my Starlight plush for show and tell once ^^; ).
Funny thing is I'm a lot more conscience about it today than I was back then.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 02:35:15 PM by lonewolf »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 03:15:13 PM »
That's super cool!
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »
I also feel the need to say that "being girly" is often considered to fit a certain stereotype. I don't think RamC etc are "more adventury" to appeal to guys. That rather suggests girls can't like those things too, which is the fundamental problem behind some of the themes heavily pushed in G4. (Can't Rarity be a successful businesswoman in something other than fashion, and does she have to be so superficially obsessed with clothing, hair, and jewellery??)

Well, it’s not as though there’s anything wrong with liking fashion, hair, and jewelry... I always kind of related to Rarity most of the mane six, due to her prissiness (if you’d ever been on a hike with me, you’d know what I mean) and love of fashion design. XD I feel like G4 does a decent job of showing all kinds of girls: Rainbow Dash is an athlete, Twilight is a nerd, Applejack is outdoorsy and likes farm life... Each of them is very successful in their own field (RD later joins the Wonderbolts, which is a military-esque organization, and Applejack operates a thriving farm with her family), so I don’t think the show presses only stereotypical careers on girls, by any means.

I think the overarching message in a lot of “girl-aimed” properties these days is “it’s okay to be you—whether you love science, sports, engineering, fashion, or all of the above”. For that matter, I hope any boys watching the show feel free to enjoy fashion and whatnot just as freely as the girls. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
I remember babysitting a little boy who had a pony.  I can’t remember which pony but it was cute.  Honestly, I think the bright colors and sweet expressions tend to appeal a lot to toddlers.  I think it’s kind of mean when adults forbid their sons to play with “girl toys”.

And it’s not just ponies.  All little kids like to imitate adults... and what are the adults in their lives doing?  Cuddling and nurturing little kids.  It makes perfect sense that many little boys are interested in taking care of and having adventures with toys with “baby” features.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
I don't think G4 is any worse than any other gen when it comes to pushing love of fashion.  G1 had Heart Throb, G2 had Ivy, G3 had Rainbow Dash.  G1 also had an entire fashion clothes line, just like Barbie, G2 had lots of ponies that came with skirts, bracelets, etc, and G3 had lots of dress up sets.

Lots of kids (girls AND boys) are interested in fashion, which is why toy companies tend to have a fashionable character.  I only find it tiresome when that's the whole point of the line, like Bratz (rip) or Equestria Girls.  Like, I get why they want every EQG to have her own pretty dress, but at the same time it is totally out of character for Rainbow Dash or Applejack to be fancy all the time. 

It's too bad they didn't put Rainbow Dash in a street fashion with distressed jeans and an ironic t-shirt, which can also be "a look", but isn't exactly "fashion", if that makes sense.  Like I know I just dragged on Bratz, but at the same time Bratz knew that there are looks out there other than "a fancy dress".  They had clothes that you could actually believe a real human being would wear in their everyday life.

Edit:  I will say I thought the jointed EGQ mini-figures had more "realistic" styles than the full size dolls, both in terms of "Oh, someone might wear that" and in terms of "Oh, that character might wear that."  Like Fluttershy being in full scuba gear, not a frilly bathing suit.  Totally makes sense that Fluttershy would want to go deep diving to see wildlife.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:31:34 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »
Tbh I didn't even know there was pony wear as a kid. ^^;
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 08:23:54 PM »
I knew about it because I kept the brochures that came with that ponies.  My top desired ponywears were:

Hearts & Candy
the royal cape one (Pony Royal?)
Flashprance
From the Designer Collection
Great Skates

But somehow the one I ended up with was Party Time (the ponywear, not the pony).  Which was okay, but not a fave.  I was happy to finally get Hearts & Candy when I started collecting as an adult.

On the topic of boys and ponies, when my little cousins came to visit me they were all fascinated with my MLP collection and started arranging them into families, including my boy cousins.  They also decided Ice Crystal was the mom of the family, which just goes to show you can't judge by appearances with ponies either. ;)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 08:33:54 PM »
Hearts and Candy is freaking cute! I want it too.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:41 PM »
I had Hearts & Candy (called My Valentine over here), Champagne & Lace and Tennis Fun as a kid for ponywear. There may have been others but they stick in my mind. I wasn't huge on dressing my ponies up, especially with the shoes, which my little fingers hated and basically gave up when it came to the C&L slippers. I kind of never saw them like doll clothes though, let alone fashion...as ponies didn't need to wear stuff...? And I wasn't into dolls.

There's nothing wrong with those things for girls either, I just wanted to make the point that we can't define what the audience is for the original animation based on how adventurey it is. It's a common and unfortunate assumption that girls can't just like that stuff anyway. At school with my friends (male and female) our ponies fought wars against invading zombie warlords. So anyway. Just wanted to put that out there. I feel my point has been taken off the point...which is that it's wearing that Hasbro chose those stereotypes to underscore Rarity's character.

There's also a difference for me between Heart Throb and Rarity simply because G1 didn't operate a M6 structure, thus HT is not as core to the story as Rarity is.  Personally I think G4's girls are all stereotypes, not actually relateable as 'female characters', but that's just me. The other gens had their fair share of animated stereotypes as well. I'm not a huge fan of G1 animation, but at least watching it I don't feel like gender stereotypes are being pushed at me in the way I do feel when in the past I've watched G4 (or even maybe G3). There's a difference between interested in fashion, and 'hair, make up, nails, dahling'.

@Lonewolf - I think from the photos I took, MLP & Friends issue #27.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:21:09 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 09:27:48 PM »
I loved G1 My Little Pony for the adventure but a fashion show here and there didn’t bother me.  Looking back, I think they had a nice balance between the two.

The only fashion I had was the one with hair rollers.  I loved how cuddly my pony was in her PJs.   :P
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »
I had Hearts & Candy (called My Valentine over here), Champagne & Lace and Tennis Fun as a kid for ponywear. There may have been others but they stick in my mind. I wasn't huge on dressing my ponies up, especially with the shoes, which my little fingers hated and basically gave up when it came to the C&L slippers. I kind of never saw them like doll clothes though, let alone fashion...as ponies didn't need to wear stuff...? And I wasn't into dolls.

There's nothing wrong with those things for girls either, I just wanted to make the point that we can't define what the audience is for the original animation based on how adventurey it is. It's a common and unfortunate assumption that girls can't just like that stuff anyway. At school with my friends (male and female) our ponies fought wars against invading zombie warlords. So anyway. Just wanted to put that out there. I feel my point has been taken off the point...which is that it's wearing that Hasbro chose those stereotypes to underscore Rarity's character.

There's also a difference for me between Heart Throb and Rarity simply because G1 didn't operate a M6 structure, thus HT is not as core to the story as Rarity is.  Personally I think G4's girls are all stereotypes, not actually relateable as 'female characters', but that's just me. The other gens had their fair share of animated stereotypes as well. I'm not a huge fan of G1 animation, but at least watching it I don't feel like gender stereotypes are being pushed at me in the way I do feel when in the past I've watched G4 (or even maybe G3). There's a difference between interested in fashion, and 'hair, make up, nails, dahling'.

@Lonewolf - I think from the photos I took, MLP & Friends issue #27.

I know what you mean. It really steams me when people act like girls didn't have any adventurous shows made for them till the 2000s. We had more then, then we do now tbh.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 10:51:41 PM »
I really love how that message makes boys feel included and not the odd ones out if they like MLP and then comes back around to make sure girls still feel included too in that message. That was pretty awesome.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 09:38:08 AM »
Aww, this is so sweet. Ponies are for everyone:)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »

There's also a difference for me between Heart Throb and Rarity simply because G1 didn't operate a M6 structure, thus HT is not as core to the story as Rarity is.  Personally I think G4's girls are all stereotypes, not actually relateable as 'female characters', but that's just me. The other gens had their fair share of animated stereotypes as well. I'm not a huge fan of G1 animation, but at least watching it I don't feel like gender stereotypes are being pushed at me in the way I do feel when in the past I've watched G4 (or even maybe G3). There's a difference between interested in fashion, and 'hair, make up, nails, dahling’.

Lol, I made up plots like that with my ponies when I was a kid. Lots of epic battles for the fate of Ponyland and whatnot. XD I did tea parties and fashion shows too, though.

G4 fluctuates between slice-of-life and epic adventure (especially in later seasons), so I feel like it usually strikes a good balance. The characters DO fit into traditional character tropes, but they also have certain qualities that I think were introduced especially to go against those tropes (i.e. Rarity’s generosity). Their personalities can be a little over the top, but that’s kind of how the show is styled. It’s not for everyone, and that’s okay. :)

Anyway, I think I get what you’re saying, though I don’t necessarily agree on all points. I hope I didn’t make you feel as though you were being attacked or anything, though! :hug: Everyone is entitled to liking what they like and feeling how they feel. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
What a cute note from Megan!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal