collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM: S9E9 "Sweet and Smokey"  (Read 4701 times)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Re: FiM: S9E9 "Sweet and Smokey"
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 06:01:22 AM »
Spoiler
I didn't like Garble before but now it's just so out-of-the-blue it's unclear which version I dislike more. Teddy from MLP Tales was much more believable. What exactly did Spike hope to gain from all this when he was made fun of every time he was with the other dragons?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
Spoiler
I didn't like Garble before but now it's just so out-of-the-blue it's unclear which version I dislike more. Teddy from MLP Tales was much more believable. What exactly did Spike hope to gain from all this when he was made fun of every time he was with the other dragons?

That he's still the resident doormat.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »
Spoiler

That he's still the resident doormat.
So pretty much just like his superhero counterpart, utterly useless.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »
I've said this so many times.  Spike is a sidekick this show (goaded by its so-called fans) insists on trying to make a main character.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 06:08:21 PM »
I've said this so many times.  Spike is a sidekick this show (goaded by its so-called fans) insists on trying to make a main character.
Might be a good idea for the writers to recall how Spike was done in the past.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 06:28:31 PM »
"But those icky G1 and G3 ponies are so universally hated by all of humanity.  That's what our fans say."
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 06:41:57 PM »

"But those icky G1 and G3 ponies are so universally hated by all of humanity.  That's what our fans say."
That's obviously why they were so successful and not because of the sheer joy collectors got from seeing them.  :rolleyes:

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 02:12:30 AM »
As I've said before, I love Spike, both in this generation and the previous ones (G3 is probably my fave though).
To me, he's at the very edge of "main character" material. I do appreciate their efforts in giving him character development and all, but I think having him also be the "sidekick" at the same time just gives me unpleasant vibes; as if he's a just servant to the mane 6 and they don't really think highly of him.
Plus him being a little kid amongst primarily teenage/adult aged characters doesn't help. He really has no subordinate or peer; he's the smallest and weakest (physically and sometimes mentally) character in almost every way. Smolder is probably the closest we have, but even so, I'm not a big fan of her character.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 02:48:52 AM »
What's wrong with being a sidekick?  His best material has always been when he plays straight man to Twilight in her neurotic fits, being the blunt voice of reason to bulldoze through her irrational conclusions.  His worst episodes have always been when he's the focus where the traits that make him a good sidekick make him a terrible main character.  I think of attitudes towards Spike and just think of the Cartoon Network skit where the sidekicks are talking about how role is important even if it is on a tier lower than the main characters.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 05:58:53 AM »
As I've said before, I love Spike, both in this generation and the previous ones (G3 is probably my fave though).
To me, he's at the very edge of "main character" material. I do appreciate their efforts in giving him character development and all, but I think having him also be the "sidekick" at the same time just gives me unpleasant vibes; as if he's a just servant to the mane 6 and they don't really think highly of him.
Plus him being a little kid amongst primarily teenage/adult aged characters doesn't help. He really has no subordinate or peer; he's the smallest and weakest (physically and sometimes mentally) character in almost every way. Smolder is probably the closest we have, but even so, I'm not a big fan of her character.

I like G3 Spike myself. I liked his proper attitude, patience and mischievous streak. He was great! I can never remember his full name though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:07:24 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 06:59:07 AM »

I like G3 Spike myself. I liked his proper attitude, patience and mischievous streak. He was great! I can never remember his full name though.

G3 Spike and his rap career will always be the best Spike to date! Btw, his full name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Spike.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2019, 07:40:42 AM »

G3 Spike and his rap career will always be the best Spike to date! Btw, his full name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Spike.
I always thought his name was "The one with the really long name that just happens to be called Spike"?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:52 AM »

:lol:

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
What's wrong with being a sidekick?  His best material has always been when he plays straight man to Twilight in her neurotic fits, being the blunt voice of reason to bulldoze through her irrational conclusions.  His worst episodes have always been when he's the focus where the traits that make him a good sidekick make him a terrible main character.  I think of attitudes towards Spike and just think of the Cartoon Network skit where the sidekicks are talking about how role is important even if it is on a tier lower than the main characters.
Oh, I have no problem with him being a sidekick.   :lookround:
What I take issue with is the writing staff having him be both a focal point of storytelling and a sidekick at the same time. There are times where they clearly want me to see him as a more jokey character, but a lot of the drama that surrounds him kinda hinders that. Do one or the other.
Now that's not to say doing both is impossible, but it does need to be done with extra care.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 12:32:22 AM »
I meant to write on this a couple weeks ago when the episode came out, but I got busy. I'm going strictly off memory here because frankly this episode isn't worth any sort of re-watch. Forgive me if I have some details wrong. :P

I don't even know where to begin with this episode. I might just do a bullet point list of things that really bugged me.
Spoiler
* Why did we have to decide Garble was Smolders brother? The two don't really resemble each other at all and Garble's character is way to shallow and mean to try and do a redemption for at this point in the show. I would have much preferred getting to know a new dragon.
* Smolder really should have done a better job on watching out for Spike. I love her but how on earth did she not notice her brother was being rude to Spike or that Spike was clearly uncomfortable around Garble the entire time?
* Why did we spend so much of this episode focusing on the other dragons making fun of Spike for his blanket to not have that be important to warming the eggs somehow? I mean seriously, am I the only one who thought that's where this episode was surely going?
* The laugh fire or whatever is the stupidest concept I've seen on this show for a while. The fact that this is what resolved the main issue really bothers me. Ultimately the other dragons didn't really accept Garbles poetry, they were laughing at him? But its cool because that's what saved the day?
* The ending where all the dragons are suddenly super interested in Garbles poetry thing is so forced and fake. They were JUST laughing at him! Suddenly they're fans and want to learn more? Yeah right!
* How on earth did Ember not realize the eggs weren't hot enough. Even if she was overall uneducated about this whole process, she at least knew the eggs have to be at a certain warm temperature. Did she really not touch the ground once?
* ALSO why wouldn't the past dragon lord tell the new dragon lord how to take care of the eggs!? I mean, its not like the continuance of the dragon species relies on it or anything.
All in all, this was a really bad episode. Definitely a sign that we're wrapping up this generation at the right time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal