collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLPMerch newest post!  (Read 5064 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: MLPMerch newest post!
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »
I remember that did happen with Jem too - characters that IT have since made technically were invented for the show (Craig, Sean, Anthony for example). But I guess with a doll line and therefore fashions to promote, it's easier than with actual ponies.

Added characters in the show not from Hasbro is fine, you know? But a complete disconnect seems a waste. I mean, even if they're not main characters, recurring side characters should probably have had more releases than they have...right?

Sunset Shimmer is so concentrated on EqG that she's mainly had that base and there have been many more dolls than ponies. I think I have all the brushable Sunsets, but I also think that's only like three or four max. There's one FS pony but she hasn't been a pony enough I guess to maintain it longer? Despite that she was a BAB plush not so long ago though...and she's in the CMC line a few times.

I am not sure we need more Sunsets than that. A few is good. Oversaturation is not...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »

Added characters in the show not from Hasbro is fine, you know? But a complete disconnect seems a waste. I mean, even if they're not main characters, recurring side characters should probably have had more releases than they have...right?

This is one of my problems with FIM and the toyline. I feel like Hasbro has missed several opportunities to release interesting characters that would have been good sellers in the toyline.  Thorax is a recurring character but he never got a toy. Out of the students only Silverstream and Sandbar got toys and both of those were only stocked for a short time in the US.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
See, I can understand why it took a while for characters like Lyra, Trixie etc to get toys. Lyra was a backgrounder and Trixie was a one-off originally, makes sense that Hasbro wouldn't necessarily consider them for toys. (I suspect the blind bags, at least the earlier waves, were mostly designed by just looking through character models for the show and picking any that seemed appealing; it'd explain why Trixie was initially named "Lulamoon" for the toys, they probably didn't realize she was an actual character?) I mean, I don't give a damn if the character's been in the show or not, or how much they've been in it, or whatever, but it makes sense to me that Hasbro would want to focus on the non-backgrounders (even though they didn't... really do that, either, but... bear with me, here xD).

But stuff like the students, those would've been planned way in advance, they would've known those were going to be recurring characters and such. (I understand they're recurrers? Again, don't watch the show so I'm just going off what I've gathered from posts on here) So why have only two of them gotten toys? Sandbar's got a unique head mold, so you can't tell me it's just Hasbro being too cheap/lazy to make new molds. :/

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »
Yeah, the students not being heavily produced--some of them not being produced at all--is really weird to me.

All I can think is maybe it's a reverse Stratus Skyranger (the hippogriff) situation.  Stratus had a HUUUUGE toy but was barely in the movie.  I guess it was too late to cancel his toy by the time his role was cut down?  With the students . . . all I can think is someone at Hasbro said "Whoa there, we're rebooting soon, is it really worth it to make a single-use yak mold?"  And it was too late to revamp the season?  Or something??

The whole thing is very strange because they were practically "the replacement Mane Six".  But not in terms of toys.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2019, 06:37:56 AM »
Oh, I forgot about all the different molds they made for the movie (prolly since a lot of them didn't make it to the UK ^^;) - how well did those sell over there? If they were shelfwarmers I could see Hasbro being reluctant to make more one-off molds.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »
Oh, I forgot about all the different molds they made for the movie (prolly since a lot of them didn't make it to the UK ^^;) - how well did those sell over there? If they were shelfwarmers I could see Hasbro being reluctant to make more one-off molds.

Mane Six were shelf sitters, new characters were harder to get hold of.

That ought to have clued hasbro in but no.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2019, 09:41:19 AM »

Mane Six were shelf sitters, new characters were harder to get hold of.

That ought to have clued hasbro in but no.

Yeah, it took a long time for any version of Tempest to appear here (she's in the multipack still in Entertainer now, but it only appeared in about March this year), and I only saw the musical Songbird in Tesco once a fair time after the movie was out.

The new pose thing has happened before though. There are three (?) new poses in the 1993-4 pony line which is the last official full line. It's as if they have more plans and then the line folds and they lose interest and move on...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »
All I can think is maybe it's a reverse Stratus Skyranger (the hippogriff) situation.  Stratus had a HUUUUGE toy but was barely in the movie.  I guess it was too late to cancel his toy by the time his role was cut down?  With the students . . . all I can think is someone at Hasbro said "Whoa there, we're rebooting soon, is it really worth it to make a single-use yak mold?"  And it was too late to revamp the season?  Or something??

What’s funny... is that I can’t even remember Stratus in the movie at all. XD I still love the toy, though. X3

I really wish we WOULD see a yak toy... There are so many wasted designs and species in G4. It strikes me as a bit odd, since the “unusual” characters seem to sell best, as LaW said. :/
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »
He appears for like five seconds when Queen Novo arrives at the end to tell Princess Skystar she's grounded.  I would have missed him if I hadn't read a review mentioning he was there, lol.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
I think Stratus also appears for a second in sea pony form as one of the guards that point the spears at Twilight and her friends when Queen Novo realizes Skystar has brought them.

I wonder if Stratus was supposed to be a major part in the sea  ponies imprison Twilight and her friends part of the plot that was dropped. I always wondered why he got such a huge toy and had such a minor role in the movie.

I never found the Captain Celaeno toy anywhere near me. I hope the Mane 6 babies will be cuter than the promo pictures make them look.

Ponyfan

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
I found my Captain Celaeno at the local Walmart, but she was buried amongst other Guardians of Harmony sets. Pretty sure she was the only one there. Shortpacking or popularity?
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
I think Stratus also appears for a second in sea pony form as one of the guards that point the spears at Twilight and her friends when Queen Novo realizes Skystar has brought them.

I wonder if Stratus was supposed to be a major part in the sea  ponies imprison Twilight and her friends part of the plot that was dropped. I always wondered why he got such a huge toy and had such a minor role in the movie.

I never found the Captain Celaeno toy anywhere near me. I hope the Mane 6 babies will be cuter than the promo pictures make them look.

I read there was originally a scene where the ponies are imprisoned in underwater jail cells (which fits in with the Seaquestria playset features, they have little holding cells on part of it--not that they call them that, ha ha) and Fluttershy uses her ability to communicate with animals to convince fish etc to free the ponies.  But it was cut for time.  Maybe Stratus was also involved in that part, like putting them in the jail or something.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2019, 06:46:57 AM »
I found my Captain Celaeno at the local Walmart, but she was buried amongst other Guardians of Harmony sets. Pretty sure she was the only one there. Shortpacking or popularity?

Congrats :) Captain Celaeno was the only bird pirate I wanted. I'm pretty sure none of the Walmart stores in my area ordered her because they were overstocked on the green pirate bird.

I read there was originally a scene where the ponies are imprisoned in underwater jail cells (which fits in with the Seaquestria playset features, they have little holding cells on part of it--not that they call them that, ha ha) and Fluttershy uses her ability to communicate with animals to convince fish etc to free the ponies.  But it was cut for time.  Maybe Stratus was also involved in that part, like putting them in the jail or something.

I'm assuming that scene would have taken place after Queen Novo discovers Twilight trying to steal the pearl and the scene where they break the surface of the water gasping for breath  I'm guesssing the final design for Sequestria was approved before that scene was cut so the jail cells were changed to "light up tower" on the box?

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal