collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLPMerch newest post!  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: MLPMerch newest post!
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2019, 10:05:54 PM »
+-*Its Real Goblin Hours*-+
Wow these are super weird. And confusing. I keep wanting to like stuff but can't. It's like the bodies are a good idea by themselves, they have 'pony like' limbs (finally) but then the turbo giant heads wreck it for me. Then, the style of the eyes are cute, with the hearts & glitter....but they're way too big for even the super-bigheads. And it's like how did they get from 'its a pony' to somehow "The horse is the animal known for having a perfectly spherical head"? Where does that keep coming from? I also agree that the 'nose' does look like foofy over-done lips...eerie human lips. You can see almost a good idea in there but...

Yes the 2 random princesses were Gold Lilly (Buzz-saw) and Sterling (a diamond)
Also like G4 Sunny Daze and Cotton Cloud can go up there with Skyla...they had that mold and they were gonna milk it, show be thrown to the side or not. That's super duper likely to be what they did here. Just 'baby ize' it, because everything ends with babies.
Monster high got babies and stopped,
bratz babiez and stopped,
G3 turned into 3.5 babies doing magical belching ...and stopped...
when they trot out the babies that's the end of the line it seems like so this is fitting because we know it's ending. With the show down to 'the last season' there's not likely much chance to baby-ize everyone to reinforce the toyline. Plus, their history of ignoring cool stuff in the show that would've made a great toy (changeling toys? no. Griffen toys? no. non-mane toys? no.) shows that they don't care about the show at all. Having them make sense (no wings, no symbol, no curls) would be too much effort and 'make less pretty toy' so they wouldn't be bothered.

Looking at the size/construction of the sippy bottles, I rather bet these are big. I also bet they're costly.
What a wacky thing to turn up late in the game.

Blame the artists and that whole era of cartoons.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline cottoncandycafe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • small plastic horse enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • my pony tumblr
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 08:03:18 AM »
these certainly... exist.... they do remind me of LOL surprise dolls, so i guess hasbro's trying to cash in on that trend? i am slightly concerned about the whole face situation here though. the forward facing eyes make them look like predator animals e_e not for me, no thanks, though i'm sure there are kids who'll enjoy them

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »
People are pointing out Twilight's wings but Pinkie should also have straight hair. Her hair got curly when she saw RD's rainboom, she wasn't born with it.

Just 'baby ize' it, because everything ends with babies.
when they trot out the babies that's the end of the line it seems like so this is fitting because we know it's ending.

Good point! It's funny to me how they never made the Cake twins a thing. They had the baby stuff in season one but there was no merch, no nothing I guess because the babies weren't part of or related to the Mane Six.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2019, 03:36:25 PM »
Good point! It's funny to me how they never made the Cake twins a thing. They had the baby stuff in season one but there was no merch, no nothing I guess because the babies weren't part of or related to the Mane Six.

There was the blind bag/mini “Babysitting Fun” set: https://data.mlpmerch.com/blind-bags/set/cake-family-babysitting-fun/

But yeah, that’s it. Very odd that they didn’t capitalize on those two, I agree.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2019, 04:43:14 AM »

There was the blind bag/mini “Babysitting Fun” set: https://data.mlpmerch.com/blind-bags/set/cake-family-babysitting-fun/

But yeah, that’s it. Very odd that they didn’t capitalize on those two, I agree.

I am always confused by Hasbro's separation of toyline and show for MLP but every time there was a baby I thought they would dish out the baby merch. Because with the Cakes and even more so with Flurry Heart the show made a point about how special these babies are. The Cakes were an unusual pair of twins and had strong powers and Flurry was an unusual birth with even stronger powers.
Flurry was also an unusual design.

But eh, it's Hasbro. I will never understand their choices. Like introducing all these new species and the only figures we got are limited seaponies and three hippogryph figures with only one release per character. It's like they don't want the show to advertise the toys anymore.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »
I really wouldn't bother trying to figure out why X/Y/Z doesn't match up to the show canon, I doubt that the toy designers are concerned with stuff like that :P Plus there's the "brand consistency" thing, like I said before.

Just 'baby ize' it, because everything ends with babies.
when they trot out the babies that's the end of the line it seems like so this is fitting because we know it's ending.

This really good point and one I hadn't considered before.

(and, I've never understood why Hasbro seem so dang reluctant to make toys based off stuff in the show, either. I don't watch the show, just pick up stuff from people that do, but even so there's a lot of stuff where I've heard about it and thought "oooh that'd make a cool toy!" and.. nothing. It's bizarre.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 08:04:51 AM »
These make me sad. Their design feels lazy and absolutely not "pony". I don't like the overall toy trends being currently released, and since every brand is ripping off each-other, I just feel like I'm going to need to wait another decade before seeing more passionately made designs instead of those abominations. And yet, I don't even know it they would get better until then, but boy did they get worse.
Yeah, I'm upset. I guess I needed to vent.
Thankfully there are brands like Basic Fun that releases actual ponies, but they are "just" re-releases. That's pretty nifty in itself, but I can't wait to see new ponies, new designs, new gimmicks. I guess I just need fresh air. That's why HQG1C are amazing to me. I can't wait to afford some.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »
The current lack of connection between show and toyline is actually a critical weakness for G4. They've centred so much of their mantra around that show, that their fanbase are also centred on it. And this is the fanbase that care about show accurate hair and change the official names of ponies to the fan ones they like better because of some show related aspect. Not that I think the kids aren't involved in this too, but again, the show has been marketed to them like crazy as well.

With g1, it really didn't matter if the toys were in the tv show as the TV show was basically one long glorified advert for the toys and it got abandoned early on. Here there was the comic but again, each pony had its own card story so it didn't really matter. It was much more centred on the toy and everything else was promotional.

But with G4, you'd think they'd use the show much more and make toys based on the show. I don't really understand why they don't. It's like they got lazy and just decided kids don't have imagination any more and so will buy seventeen pinkie pie related items.

As a kid I was hugely influenced by the characterisations in the comics, even if I never played games based on them. Most all the ponies I wanted most from sets were because of comic references, and that was just promotional material to sell the toys. I can't imagine how annoying it must be for a parent if their kid is all like, "I must have x character!" and all they can find is...Pinkie Pie again.

I remember seeing a mother and her daughter in a store a year or two ago. The shelves were covered in M6. Kid was clearly a pony fan but not impressed by the display. I think I moved something to show my sister Soarin, who had been tucked away behind the others. I showed her, put the pony back on the rack, and literally WITHIN SECONDs this pony was going home with this suddenly excited kid.

For me that said everything about the disconnect between toy and marketing strategy. I don't watch the show so I don't know how much Soarin is in it, but I know that he IS in it. However, instead of selling a set with all of the Wonderbolts (and Dash?), they bury the individual characters in separate, unrelated lines and then they get swamped by M6 ponies.

Soarin was out for ages here. But he sold REALLY well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 11:27:54 AM »
But with G4, you'd think they'd use the show much more and make toys based on the show. I don't really understand why they don't. It's like they got lazy and just decided kids don't have imagination any more and so will buy seventeen pinkie pie related items.

I remember seeing a mother and her daughter in a store a year or two ago. The shelves were covered in M6. Kid was clearly a pony fan but not impressed by the display. I think I moved something to show my sister Soarin, who had been tucked away behind the others. I showed her, put the pony back on the rack, and literally WITHIN SECONDs this pony was going home with this suddenly excited kid.

For me that said everything about the disconnect between toy and marketing strategy. I don't watch the show so I don't know how much Soarin is in it, but I know that he IS in it. However, instead of selling a set with all of the Wonderbolts (and Dash?), they bury the individual characters in separate, unrelated lines and then they get swamped by M6 ponies.

Soarin was out for ages here. But he sold REALLY well.

Soarin is hardly ever in the show, and usually little more than a “backgrounder” when he is. But yeah, that’s how desperate kids must be to see any character outside of the mane six on shelves. =P Please learn from this in G5, Hasbro!

FiM was conceived to sell toys. All Hasbro shows were conceived to sell toys. When FiM became wildly popular, you’d think that would have been Hasbro’s cue to release every possible character, with assurance that the fanbase would be excited to buy them. Tragically, we only ever got to see that in the blind bag toys (which I have amassed a vast horde of, since that’s where the bulk of the characters are in G4). :( Such a wasted opportunity... Guardians of Harmony was refreshing, but that seems to be a dead line now. I still hold on to the delirious hope that we might somehow get a Tirek figure before the end of G4. T_T
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »

This is something that bugs me most about G4. They have this huge array of characters in FiM they could make toys of, so that they could therefore when FiM introduces a new character have their purpose in the show be like "hey here's a new pony you can buy now". But instead they're like "nah let's just rerelease Pinkie Pie for the fiftieth time kids will be all over that". :pout:

I dunno, it's like... they could use the show to promote their toys way more effectively if they really wanted to.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
I think these are strangely cute! Probably because my niece started me down the path of LOL surprise (I'm still planning my escape). If these ponies are about the size of LOL and there are a lot of different characters, I might get one or two.  But if they are the size of brushables or bigger, then no.  Those eyes would be huge!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »
I dunno, it's like... they could use the show to promote their toys way more effectively if they really wanted to.

Yeah, even a lot of recurring support characters didn't get a lot of releases, like there are surprisingly few Cutie Mark Crusaders brushable sets.

The one-offs like kirins I get, because IIRC it takes like 10 months to a year to get a toy in production . . . So even if Hasbro toy people saw the kirin episode and thought "Oh, that's cute!", by the time they release the toys that episode is a year old.  (I mean I would still love to see them release kirins, I think they're adorable and it's a super creative idea.)

I really hope that for G5, they look at the abundance of cool species that were in G4 and plan to make them from the start.  (But in reality they will probably introduce a new species where every single member of it looks like Pinkie Pie, lol.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 07:44:25 AM »
That would suggest zero communication between Hasbro and the people making the cartoon.

I realise this is a different decade and a different toyline, but it wasn't ever a problem for the Jem TV show to time eps to promote a toy around the time it was going to come out. Because the toys were made as prototypes, sent to the animators, scripts were written, amended etc - and release dates decided in order to make the show promote the toy at the right time.

You can bet that the very product placement spammy Glitter & Gold episode didn't air 10 months before the dolls were on shelves. The problem is more that Hasbro don't appear to have that same toy-show relationship set up from the start. So it's like the show does it's own thing and Hasbro doesn't really catch up, rather than it being a collaboration.

I remember one of the chief Jem writers saying Hasbro weren't especially organised back then either, but there were a huge number of individuals involved in every step of both toy and show. People writing the songs, two voice casts (singing and speaking), etc etc. But they still got it done so dates coincided.

I imagine G1 MLP was probably the same albeit it's not quite as effective a toy commercial as the Jem show which could rotate all the new fashions without changing the angle of the episode too much (beyond Glitter and Gold, which is basically a glorified new fashions and dolls advert).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 09:02:33 AM »
I don't think there's zero communication, but I think there is a lot of separation and a lot of cases of the show people coming up with ideas on their own and want to incorporate them because they're fun or cool.  Which is fine IMO because I would hate it if Hasbro said "NO, don't put kirins in the show, we don't have toys of them so that is a waste of air time.  Put in Pinkie Pie #232 with New Dress."

I also feel like the show is a low risk testing ground for Hasbro.  Like, they let the show people do their thing and then if a lot of fans start clamoring for a show character . . . maybe they WILL make a toy of them.  Like Big Mac or Trixie or the various Wonderbolts.   Like a free way of testing what's popular.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
I also feel like the show is a low risk testing ground for Hasbro.  Like, they let the show people do their thing and then if a lot of fans start clamoring for a show character . . . maybe they WILL make a toy of them.  Like Big Mac or Trixie or the various Wonderbolts.   Like a free way of testing what's popular.

Babs Seed and Flash Sentry all seem decently popular ponies yet we still have nothing for them for brushables.

And Cloud Chaser and Vapor Trail are popular to a lesser extent. From what I've seen Autumn Blaze is very popular but we won't get anything from her...

Berry Punch, Golden Harvest Colgate, and the flower ponies (Roseluck etc) were huge with bronies but we never got much with them other than blind bags. They love rereleasing DJ P0N-3 at any opportunity, but we've only had one Octavia release... stll no Doctor Hooves surprisingly. No recent releases of Sunset Shimmer despite her being a major character.

Yet we got Coco Pommel merch, like... IMMEDIATELY.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal