collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Sims stories  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
The Sims stories
« on: May 22, 2019, 02:58:42 PM »
I got hardcore into The Sims 2 during University, after not getting much chance as a kid to play the original Sims. I got so into my families, and my plans for them often went off-script in the best possible ways!

Do you play The Sims? Which version? Do you have any funny family stories to tell, or moments of genius on the games' part?

[moving to Toy Box & Games Cupboard ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:19:45 PM by Kiwi »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: The Sims stories
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:27:15 PM »
I could write a book about my Sims :lol:

I started playing the original right after the first EP came out. I still play it sometimes :) It has that nostalgic charm that I love. I played TS1 up until TS3 came out. For whatever reason, I skipped right through TS2. I got it when it was free on Origin but I didn't have a lot of fun with it. I love TS3 though.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »
I’ve sunken a LOT of time (and cash, lol) into Sims 3. XD It’s still one of my all-time favorite games. I have so much content installed that I have to merge all of the fan-made content files and perform regular maintenance just to keep the game running smoothly (on a modern gaming laptop with a SSD, no less).

Let’s see... I had a gothic town full of every manner of monsters, a seaside town with mermaids, kelpies, and the like, an alien planet town complete with mods to make the characters look as inhuman as possible... Man, good times. Now I feel like playing it again. XD I used to keep a little notebook of ideas for characters and settings...

I was very disappointed with what Sims 4 had to offer, and never bothered buying it. :/ I hold out hope for the possibility of a much-improved Sims 5. :P
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
I dont ever end up actually playing, I just spend hours building the houses and then I get bored  :blush:
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
I've been a simmer for a long time. Right now I'm playing The Sims 4. I get wild stuff with my sims dying. Like once I was out eating with my sim and this woman and her daughter died from Pufferfish Nigiri poisoning. Ruined my meal, it did. I also keep having moms die on Winterfest from laughter. It was so annoying I got a mod to disable that type of death.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 08:52:19 PM »
I dont ever end up actually playing, I just spend hours building the houses and then I get bored  :blush:
Basically this but with the character builders.  :P
I didn't play too much of my Sims 3 game but I did just get Sims 4 for free. I miss being able to just scroll into a new area, the loading stuff is annoying.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
     I don’t have it, but my friend and I made a profile on the sims she has for the play station (sims 2 I think. I dunno) and we always play it whenever I am over. We are Mable, Martha and joe “totally not an alien” smith. We have learnt my friend is better at monitoring everybody while I’m good at building good houses. We have had many an adventure go awry due to our penny pinching mentality. I have repaired the sink so many times I might as well be a plumber instead of drill Sargent.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
S2 was my favourite and it probably still is. I played it a lot on and off. I think it's still installed on my old desktop back home (which thinks it's 2006 but still runs so long as you're not online xD). It's going back a long way now, when I was still at uni the first time I think? But I remember beginning a trend online for alien legacies. I loved the TS3 aliens and had tons of them once I worked out how to get them born with blond or red hair. I had a really bad crash early with this game in which I lost my first alien sim and I guess that drove me on to play with the aliens much much more.

My PC never played TS3 properly and I didn't like the open world, as my navigation is pretty bad in general, don't give me a map to work though ><. But the real reason I never played it much was my PC couldn't handle it and kept making the hair disappear. Plus I didn't like how the sims looked after 2 that much. So I have TS3 but never really got into it and don't have any of its expansions.

I've seen fans of TS3 and TS4 go at each other hammer, nails and blood weapons over which is best and I honestly don't understand it, since everyone has their preference. I'm not a hardcore gamer, I don't have and wouldn't buy a gaming PC so I need a TS game that's going to work on a normal PC.

So onto TS4.

It has its issues. I dislike that we no longer have memories, the loading screens can be annoying (and if you accidentally click build you have to go right in and out, and if you build and don't save, that's your building gone. I hate building so that's not fun for me). TS2 had an easier way of stocking template buildings. But the fact I can actually play it and it's not open world are big pluses for me.

I like the vampires in TS4, they are much better than those in 2. Some random messing around with this idea way back when I first got the add on pack left me with two or three ingame born vampire sims and I was messing around with these when one of them died of sunlight due to somehow forgetting he needed to come home from work, not stand around outside. So then this whole plot around that happened, since he died and his son was born just after this happened...in any case I ended up with a seven or eight generation vampire legacy going on in this town. But my game till much more recently was glitched so every baby with one vampire parent was a vampire and even some who had human parents who had had vampire babies before had them again even when they weren't on the right site or anything like that. So my game got overrun with vampires and I archived it and started over a few times.

TS4 aliens are fine but not as much fun in some ways.

I like TS4 but my playing of it comes in waves. I don't have all the packs, my PC wouldn't stand that.

I do like how random odd funny things happen in my game a lot. The quirky things that TS brings is a big part of its appeal for me. But I miss the tied genetics whereby you had proper recessive genes and so on. And yeah, I miss the memories.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 06:23:12 AM »
I've played The Sims for so long now, but I struggled to get into it at first. I had learned that I loved more simulation style games from Animal Crossing. When The Sims 1 came out on the GCN, I decided I wanted to try it. I did not like it, it was too "high-maintenance" for me.

Nevertheless, for whatever reason, in early 2004 I decided to try it on the PC and got all of the EPs. The actual gameplay was still too frustrating for me, so I got most of my enjoyment from building. Then The Sims 2 came out. With the concept of aging being added it was more exciting for me to want to play Sims, but... The Sims 1's stressful, unforgiving gameplay made me "scared" to really even try to play it too much. >.< I think once the Seasons Expansion Pack came out and I really wanted to see the weather and seasons change, it finally kicked me in the butt to have to play Sims and I realized that it was so much better than The Sims 1. Since then I have done more family play than building, but I still enjoy building every once in a while (I like to build my own community lots).

The Sims 3 came out and for various reasons I didn't like it as much at first. I really adored the open world and the story progression, these were next generation features that I really wanted. However, I remember being frustrated that stuff like restaurants became rabbitholes. Remember, I like building community lots. Over the years, I came to accept The Sims 3, especially once more open lots were added (and Seasons, plus TS3 Pets is by far the best Pets EP for TS ever). The Sims 3 is currently my favorite The Sims title. It's not without flaws. I think the biggest flaws with it now that all content has been released are how pricey it is (TS3 Store is so greedy and STILL costs a fortune like six years after TS3 ended) and the kind of PC you need to be able to run the game even decently. I got a PC built specifically to play it and it still doesn't play it properly.  :mad:

The Sims 4 I really don't care for. You know how prior to The Sims 4's console game, The Sims' console games have always been watered down versus the PC versions? That's what The Sims 4 itself feels like, a watered down console version of a real The Sims game. Sadly, we didn't get the real PC The Sims 4 to compare... We just have this watered down game that was originally going to be online like Sim City, but when Sim City flopped they decided to scrap that idea. But it's obvious that instead of restarting the project and creating a real The Sims sequel, they just went with what they had and tried to sell it as The Sims 4 and... it's not good.

When trying to play The Sims 4 the number one thing I can not forgive is the fact that the game isn't open world. The game places you in a smaller sector that looks open, but not even that smaller sector is open. You still have to load separately to even go to another lot in that sector. This is bad to me because in The Sims 3 I always did a lot of multi-tasking. One Sim in the household, one sim across the world. In The Sims 4, I can't even do that. In fact, it's also very glitchy. Like if you take a sim out while another one is in the middle of a work shift, that sim at work comes home early.

On top of that, the worlds are formatted like The Sims 1. You can't customize the neighborhood at all. You have a select amount of lots to work with. And you know what? EA makes every world very small, so you don't even have much to work with to begin with! This is a regression from even The Sims 2.

The only good things about TS4 IMO are Seasons (customizable holidays is so much better than TS3, plus they actually did a lot better aesthetically than previous The Sims games. The terrain changes for the seasons, and trees are no longer the only plants that change with the seasons. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff, so I hate to admit this is what made me give the game a second chance. I've always hated how in TS3 they didn't even bother with the plants aside from trees, so in the winter everything is still green and in full bloom. Ugh.) and the gender identity/expression options. The Sims did not handle that subject very well in the past, so I was very happy to see them add that feature.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, I don't have and wouldn't buy a gaming PC so I need a TS game that's going to work on a normal PC.

Yeah... I actually got a PC built specifically to play The Sims 3 with all packs at max settings and it still can't run the game properly.

As much as I love The Sims, this experience has really turned me sour on PC gaming. I had spent all of my years with lower end PCs that can hardly run The Sims game that was current and I was so ready to move away from that when I had the money, but nope. If custom content and modding weren't a thing I wouldn't even touch another PC game ever.

|My Collection|

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »
@Harmonie - beware of the gnomes :)

Seasons is the last EP I have for TS4, I think my PC won't take any more than it already has (vampires, get to work, seasons...one other) so I decided to stop there. But that's the main thing, even on this PC, which is nothing special and a laptop, I can run that game. I couldn't do that with TS3 - it did run on my old laptop with just its base pack but then it almost killed the PC through a bluescreen epidemic. So I put it on the desktop which played it fine but they all ended up bald. So yeah. I quit. :) I'm not that patient and I don't have the money or interest in a gaming PC, so I see TS3 as the hardcore gaming version of TS :)

The issue with 4 is that they added to it bit by bit. I got to it quite late, when they'd already added in some of the stuff you'd expect to be there from the start, like toddlers, and so on - but to begin with I think it was really weak in those areas. I have played it from the start pretty much with vampires and erm...the parenting EP because I got them all together for some reason so I don't really know what the base game is like on it's own. But I really liked the vampire concept and how it worked better than TS2 (remembering I don't know what TS3 did with it because I couldn't play it...) so that drew me in. I also really like that you can send them to work. Though it gets a bit creepy when the prisoners in the prison cells age out and die and the grim reaper comes visiting. The reaper in TS4 does a lot of crazy improvised stuff...but you really don't want him roaming around the police station while everyone is crying over the dead convict...

I think I reached a point where I accept TS4 as itself, and TS2 as itself, and am not really interested in TS3. Loading screens are annoying and I think they could have made that less clunky, but I don't want open world ever. I found that really hard to manage. But I get lost inside pokemon game maps and often have to be rescued by someone else so yeah, that kind of puts it in context. I don't like maps. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:26:30 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 04:36:31 PM »
The Sims 4 I really don't care for. You know how prior to The Sims 4's console game, The Sims' console games have always been watered down versus the PC versions? That's what The Sims 4 itself feels like, a watered down console version of a real The Sims game. Sadly, we didn't get the real PC The Sims 4 to compare... We just have this watered down game that was originally going to be online like Sim City, but when Sim City flopped they decided to scrap that idea. But it's obvious that instead of restarting the project and creating a real The Sims sequel, they just went with what they had and tried to sell it as The Sims 4 and... it's not good.

I agree. It's also very... plastic looking? Like, in TS3 I play realistic Sims and even though the gameplay and world can be goofy, they still fit in. I've seen some amazing alpha cc for TS4 but it looks so out of place in the rest of the game.

I'm so sad that you can't play TS3 properly! I built my PC to play it too (and games in general) and even though I have to do a lot of maintenance, TS3 loads fast, plays smooth and never very rarely crashes. Aw, I wish I could help you out somehow :( Do you convert and merge package files?  How about using error mods? I admit I love using the NRass mods, but had to take out ErrorTrap because it was causing my game to crash. I only bring it in a save when I start getting bloat from duplicate items and whatnot, but I don't keep it in my Mods folder.

---

As far as stories and such go, my absolute favorite story happened back when TS1 was still fresh. It stars Bob and Betty Newbie! I played them a lot but when I made a new Sim named Carlton, he and Betty hit it off very well. They were so compatible they fell in love all on their own with very little influence from me. Betty moved in with Carlton and they had two sons. Betty stayed friends with Bob and he and Carlton got along too. When Unleashed came out, I moved Bob into the farmhouse that has an apple orchard and he got a retriever puppy named Buddy. All in all, it was my favorite stretch of gameplay. Even though they were premades, that particular Bob and Betty were special. I loved those Sims :heart:

Also, these:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 07:38:47 AM »
I LOVE The Sims. The Sims 2 is my favourite but I love all gens. They also have their pros and cons in my eyes.

I've played since 1 and I used to play it tons. I didn't play Sims 2 for a long time after it was released and once I did, I was blown away by the improvement. I never went back to 1. Though I would for nostalgia purposes. I did own all originals for a long time but after I moved, I realised how dirty and broken the cases were and I decided to let them go. I probably wouldn't really play them often enough to justify owning them in such a condition. I feel bad as I've owned them forever but sometimes you gotta be brutal.

Anyway I loved 3 for what it added but the loading and how high maintenance it is really put me off. I also felt like the sims didn't look nice and they all looked the same? However I love free roaming, the horses!!! Being a mermaid, the supernatural... it had a lot of what I loved that The Sims 4 missed out on. Or is missing out on, should I say.

However I adore 4 because of the style and how smooth it is and it is more aesthetically pleasing. I loved the focus on being social and emotional. But it does lack a certain charm and the prices for the games are horrendous considering you don't get much added in the new expansions. I was elated when they finally added toddlers but come on, it took that long?

Back on to number 2 being my favourite. I loved the quirkiness of it and it added the right amount of content. When they came out with Seasons, it was such a game changer for me. And I loved Open for Business even if it was sometimes shaky. Bon Voyage, Pets, everything. There wasn't an expansion I didn't like. I own the Ultimate Edition on Origin and it brings me joy. It is perfection.

I'm kinda rambling but I really love The Sims.

Honourable mentions but I love Sims 2 Castaway and Urbz too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:40:57 AM by Sweet Stuff »
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
Speaking of the supernaturals, TS3 Pets has unicorns! I really don't like most supernaturals. Most of them are horror creatures like zombies and werewolves. I do not enjoy those in any kind of media. When they added the unicorn I was so happy. Most people were so angry that they didn't add werewolves in the pack (I think they did in TS2 Pets, so people expected it again in TS3 Pets), but I was just thinking "Finally, a supernatural that I get to like". Of course, fairies, witches, mermaids, and genies are okay, too (all of which were added later IIRC). But the rest of them... Ugh.

Especially since in TS3 the zombies are a creature that spawns no matter what and you can't turn them off. I had to install a mod to keep them from spawning in my game.  :mad:

TBH, in all of my playing of TS3, unicorns are the only ones I even sought out. I'm sad they can't return in TS4 since they decided that Pets in TS4 was literally only dogs and cats.

@Harmonie - beware of the gnomes :)but I don't want open world ever. I found that really hard to manage. But I get lost inside pokemon game maps and often have to be rescued by someone else so yeah, that kind of puts it in context. I don't like maps. :)

Aww... I adore open world games. I don't think I can ever see adventure games that aren't open world the same way ever again. Open world is such an advancement, compared to the limited, narrow spaces that just make other/older adventure games like Pokemon very antiquated.

I'm replaying Breath of the Wild right now and just can't get over it. I love just running for hours through scenery. Seeing as you can just teleport back to familiar places, there's really no fear of actually getting lost.

Nevertheless, open world in non-The Sims games is actually a different animal. I feel like The Sims open world is just different. The neighborhoods/towns we call "worlds" in The Sims 3 are smaller and again, there's just no punishment for wandering the camera around the town to explore, as you can just right click on your sim's portrait and you're right back where they are.

With The Sims, aside from the matter of multi-tasking I mentioned before, I just love being able to wander around the world and see what other sims are doing. To me, it just feels so much more authentic than other The Sims games.

If you asked me, I'd say the same thing about open world adventure games, though. It just feels more authentic. I don't want anymore non-open world games in either The Sims or adventure games. It's like the jump from 2D to 3D for me. For me personally, there's not much looking back, unless I'm playing an actual old game.

But that's all so off-topic!

Do you convert and merge package files?

I'm not really sure what you're talking about here, so probably not. lol
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:57:17 AM by Harmonie »

|My Collection|

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »
I've been playing since sims 1 and I think the overall best for me has been ts3 but I really do love the graphics jump with 4 even if it's very limiting. i do like the new level up brackets (the thing with the vampires is just so interesting to play with for me). If they could recreate 3 with 4's graphics and some of the new mechanics it'd be heaven. I love that sims can multitask better in 4.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 08:30:55 AM »
I love Sims! Sims 2 is my favourite - I've never quite been able to go back to TS1 (never really managed to get the hang of it, either, although I enjoyed it a lot). I did buy TS3 but it wouldn't work on my computer at the time, and I've never gotten round to trying it again. :shrug: Honestly I'm not a fan of how realistic Sims got after the second game, I prefer cartoony Sims :P

either way I LOVE Sims 2!! I got my game going again earlier on this year and I've been having a fantastic time with the "Uberhood" I set up :3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal