collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where do you stock your ponies?(G3)  (Read 524 times)

Offline skywlshes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Where do you stock your ponies?(G3)
« on: May 22, 2019, 02:02:37 PM »
What's a safe place to stock ponies ? How do I prevent them from yellowing and other evil diseases?
I never really paid attention but i'm getting more and more ponies, esp. MIB ponies, and I want to be carefull about that. I'm moving (again) and I'm not sure where to put them.
I already knew I needed to avoid direct light and humidity. Is there anything else ?
✰ Looking for MIB G3 ponies ✰

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Where do you stock your ponies?(G3)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »
Moisture is a big one! You don't want to find any of your ponies moldy.
Dust is annoying but doesn't tend to hurt them.
There's also been some talks about ponies stored in plastic containers becoming sticky due to the off-gassing from the plastic container. This doesn't seem to be too common so far, but if you are storing the ponies for long-term you may want to look into wooden crates or some other sort of storage.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
Moisture is a big one! You don't want to find any of your ponies moldy.
Dust is annoying but doesn't tend to hurt them.
There's also been some talks about ponies stored in plastic containers becoming sticky due to the off-gassing from the plastic container. This doesn't seem to be too common so far, but if you are storing the ponies for long-term you may want to look into wooden crates or some other sort of storage.

I've heard about wood staining dolls/other toys. Cardboard maybe?
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 05:00:15 AM »
Light, temperature, and humidity are the enemies of just about anything you want to preserve.

When storing something long term, I wrap it up in acid-free tissue paper to prevent it reacting with other items or the container. I still use plastic bins and bags because of price and availability, but I sometimes think metal or "good" cardboard boxes would be the best... except for air circulation.

Degradation of the plastic and vinyl, out gassing or plasticizer leakage, just seems inevitable. Like an archivist, you've got to monitor a collection. So I check and repack every now and then, which is a great excuse to play with things, remember "oh, I have that!", and get 'em out in circulation for a while. Ponies are meant to be enjoyed.

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
Dust can also "stain" depending on what the dust is made up of.  Candle residue and cigarettes are big offenders.  Another example is pollen, here it can stain things orange. So no open windows in the toy room.  :P

I keep mine wrapped in tissue paper in a container with moisture absorbents.  I don't know if those help, but I haven't noticed any deterioration yet.  I also make sure that the collection has AC to help with humidity.  I live in a very humid part of the world.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 04:08:57 AM »
Good advice above. I would just add to be careful of anything with ink (including backcards), as colour can transfer - separating ponies with white, acid free tissue paper will prevent that. Also be wary of that chartreuse hair (like Surprise has) as it can also stain. Last time I moved my ponies and I knew they would stay in boxes for a while, I wrapped any ponies with that colour separately.
Also, try to keep them standing up, if possible. Especially loose G4 or any with thinner legs (sweetheart sisters) as their legs can quickly become bent.

Good luck with your move!
Elf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal