collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: " She's All Yak" - FiM S9 Ep7 Discussion  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: " She's All Yak" - FiM S9 Ep7 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 03:34:34 AM »
In the Hearths Warming special, wasn't it kind of implied that her braids were a fairly significant moment for her? Her braids always seemed tied into her heritage to me.

They just ignored what they built up for the character to put as many makeover clichés in as possible. I was also not exactly happy with the "ewww yak food is disgusting!!!" joke and again the reminder that yaks have horrible hygiene to a point ponies have to wear hazmat suits to bathe her.
It made me feel bad for Yona, she is just a cute kid.

It wouldn't bother me that much if the yaks weren't supposed to be the pony world's equivalent to Pakistan (or generally any eastern mountain folk that use yaks for milk and meat). Like Al-1701 said, the yaks are like the Carbombyans from Transformers. It looks like they did not learn anything from that (they lost iconic voice actor Casey Kasem over these episodes).
Just do not make allusions to real world places and people if you really want to do these "ewww gross" jokes. It could be so easy.

But like I already mentioned, this show has been doing that from the start. Zecora, the buffalo herd and even donkeys. In an early season Rarity was making comments about how ugly mules are even tho donkeys live just like ponies. A mule is when a pony and a donkey have offspring. Classy. And that came from my favorite pony who is supposed to be generous :lookround:

These writers will never handle these issues with grace so they should have never made different species into different people.
They already did that with the ponies, so there was no need to have more "others".

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 05:36:08 PM »
It wouldn't bother me that much if the yaks weren't supposed to be the pony world's equivalent to Pakistan (or generally any eastern mountain folk that use yaks for milk and meat). Like Al-1701 said, the yaks are like the Carbombyans from Transformers. It looks like they did not learn anything from that (they lost iconic voice actor Casey Kasem over these episodes).
The only difference is the Transformers stopped using Carbombya after the fallout from "A Thief in the Night" while FiM just keeps going back to the yaks.  Because no one walked out in disgust, the people running this show don't seem to understand what they're doing with the yaks is offensive.

The problem is the people running the show are too ignorant of the issues, but believe they should be able to throw their two cents in anyway because their fans want the show to "topical".  My response to this is to quote Harlan Ellison: "You are not entitled to your opinion.  You are entitled to your informed opinion.  No one is entitled to be ignorant."
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 05:01:30 AM »
Speaking of ignorance, I wonder if Rarity is starting to mentally slip given the ugly outfit and wig she had Yona wear. Let's not forget that she came up with those ridiculous flying outfits in Rainbow Falls and was utterly braindead in Friendship University.
Also, nobody else at the party wore a dress except for herself. And that's strange because earlier in the episode, Rarity was making dresses specifically for the party. This is either a continuity error, or she did not get the memo from Twilight.
All of that, plus Rarity's method to have Yona speak "with sophistication", gives me the impression that she wasn't taught how to be a pony, but to be a clone of Rarity.  -_-

P.S. Her distaste for 'earthy tones' really rubbed me the wrong way for reasons obvious.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:14:50 AM by TJgamer »
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 02:05:05 AM »
Speaking of ignorance, I wonder if Rarity is starting to mentally slip given the ugly outfit and wig she had Yona wear. Let's not forget that she came up with those ridiculous flying outfits in Rainbow Falls and was utterly braindead in Friendship University.
Also, nobody else at the party wore a dress except for herself. And that's strange because earlier in the episode, Rarity was making dresses specifically for the party. This is either a continuity error, or she did not get the memo from Twilight.
All of that, plus Rarity's method to have Yona speak "with sophistication", gives me the impression that she wasn't taught how to be a pony, but to be a clone of Rarity.  -_-

P.S. Her distaste for 'earthy tones' really rubbed me the wrong way for reasons obvious.

While the writers don't keep the characters consistent, Rarity can get it especially bad because she basically learned her lesson pretty early on that being elite is not all that. But they still want her to be this upper crust wannabe, so they make her a snooty classist most of the time ^^;

I like your headcanon of Rarity losing it, tho. It must drive her insane that Ponyville is where her friends are but the city is where her business is. Ponyville seems to be fed up with her designs :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal