collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Having to request a box on Amazon?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Having to request a box on Amazon?
« on: May 20, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
Hi,

I just tried to make an Amazon.com order and got a message that "Will ship in packaging that reveals contents" This didn't seem like a big deal to me until I realized that Amazon meant that they would not be using a standard shipping box for the item. Since the item is something that could be damaged by rough handling if not protected with an outer shipping box I had to cancel my order as there was no option to go back and add a shipping box once the order was created. Is this standard procedure for Amazon now? I know really big items often ship without an outer box but this item wasn't big at all.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 05:23:46 PM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Having to request a box on Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »
Would that just mean that it would be shipped in something that has a label? That seems odd to me that they would ship it in a clear plastic bag or something of that sort.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:11:35 AM »
I usually see it with larger things. Doesn't surprise me they are cutting more corners. Amazon is bad at packing anyway.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
I think it could mean a lot of things as far as how it's shipped.   I've never had Amazon ship items in a clear bag or anything.  Even when they do use bag-style packaging (like for a sweater) they aren't see-through.

But typically they do use boxes.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:14:42 AM »
Since I don't know what the item is I could be wrong, but it's possible that it still could be a box that's good enough to protect the item in transit, just one that has some sort of information on it as to what the item is. This isn't an Amazon example, but when I bought the exclusive version of the Seaquestria playset from Walmart's website, they didn't like, pack it inside of their regular Walmart shipping boxes. It arrived in a Hasbro box, the type of box that you sometimes see in toy isles when stores are still unpacking what they received from the toy companies. It was still a box that's good to protect the item in transit, same thickness and all that as Walmart's (and Amazon's) own boxes, but since it was Hasbro's box, it had the name of the product written on it, and therefore reveals the contents. I think that's likely what this means. That the box it will ship in would be not Amazon's own box with their logo and all that, but rather the box from the manufacturer of the product (which I would think still would be thicker cardboard), that would likely have the name of the product on the box.

So it should still be a shipping box, but more likely one from the product's manufacturer that would have the product's name on the box (which would be a problem if you're having it shipped to someone else as a surprise gift, but if it's just for yourself that shouldn't be a problem).

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »
I chose this for a gift for my niece (a board game), not thinking much of it...until it arrived. It did come in an Amazon box, but it was a plain brown box with the board game name stamped on it  :pout: Yeah, just what a 5yo wants to open for Christmas. I ended up having my husband print a color photo of the game and taped it to the box.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 10:43:41 AM »
I would contact them and ask what that means.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »
Since I don't know what the item is I could be wrong, but it's possible that it still could be a box that's good enough to protect the item in transit, just one that has some sort of information on it as to what the item is. This isn't an Amazon example, but when I bought the exclusive version of the Seaquestria playset from Walmart's website, they didn't like, pack it inside of their regular Walmart shipping boxes. It arrived in a Hasbro box, the type of box that you sometimes see in toy isles when stores are still unpacking what they received from the toy companies. It was still a box that's good to protect the item in transit, same thickness and all that as Walmart's (and Amazon's) own boxes, but since it was Hasbro's box, it had the name of the product written on it, and therefore reveals the contents. I think that's likely what this means. That the box it will ship in would be not Amazon's own box with their logo and all that, but rather the box from the manufacturer of the product (which I would think still would be thicker cardboard), that would likely have the name of the product on the box.

So it should still be a shipping box, but more likely one from the product's manufacturer that would have the product's name on the box (which would be a problem if you're having it shipped to someone else as a surprise gift, but if it's just for yourself that shouldn't be a problem).

I did some more checking in to it and that's exactly the kind of box it will ship in. :)

I chose this for a gift for my niece (a board game), not thinking much of it...until it arrived. It did come in an Amazon box, but it was a plain brown box with the board game name stamped on it  :pout: Yeah, just what a 5yo wants to open for Christmas. I ended up having my husband print a color photo of the game and taped it to the box.

Wow, I've heard of Amazon shipping certain products in plain boxes but have never head of games or other toys being shipped in boxes like that.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »
I've seen reviews of the Seaquestria Castle being sent like that.  Haven't ordered it off Amazon myself so I'm not sure exactly what kind of box it was in, but apparently a plain cardboard one and not the type in the store.  I think the plain cardboard box might be related to "hassle free packaging" but I don't know for sure.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 01:53:57 AM »
I've seen reviews of the Seaquestria Castle being sent like that.  Haven't ordered it off Amazon myself so I'm not sure exactly what kind of box it was in, but apparently a plain cardboard one and not the type in the store.  I think the plain cardboard box might be related to "hassle free packaging" but I don't know for sure.

That's how my Seaquestria castle came! In my case though, I had two options; I think it was a dollar or so cheaper to pick a 'store display style' set, or something of the like? (Maybe it was 'nonstandard packaging', I honestly forget.) 'I forget how exactly it was described, but my thinking was 'hey, cheaper!', and it arrived in a plain brown box, no picture of the castle on the front or anything! It worked fine for me, since I'm not a MIB collector, but it was a little surprising at first! But all of the pieces were there, so I was happy! :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal