collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM: S9E8 "Frenemies"  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
FiM: S9E8 "Frenemies"
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:53:12 PM »
At last, we have an episode with ABSOLUTELY NO MAIN SIX.  Instead, we concentrate on Grogar and his Legion of Doom ripoff.  I was apparently not that far off with my trust fall joke in what he's been putting the three through.  However, it's time to get to work as he has a job for them.

Spoiler
Apparently this Grogar has a bell of Adamantium as it's indestructible and Gusty the Great had to hide it.  Now that he has underlings, he's sending them to retrieve it.  We get to see the three's abilities, some bonding.  In the end they actually build a friendship and work together to get the bell.  However, the Starscream genes are strong in these three as they claim they failed to get the bell while they actually hide it for their own purposes.

I can't help but think of the Season 2 episode of Beast Wars where Tarantulus, Black Arachnia, and Quick Strike found an energon cube cache and claimed it had been destroyed when really Tarantulus was using it for himself.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Re: FiM: S9E8 "Frenemies"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »
An improvement over last week's (which isn't difficult) but....
Spoiler
1. The villains were only remotely enjoyable when they weren't arguing or when they were making fun of the Mane Six.
2. Cozy Glow is certainly not my favorite of the three.
3. The story behind Grogar's bell was at least somewhat interesting.
4.  Wasn't thrilled about Cozy Glow's song.
5. The ending is at least promising but I'm not holding my breath given we've seen things in teasers before that didn't pan out like what Starlight did in that one episode that was like a tornado of magic.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 01:36:15 AM »
I thought it was a fun episode that made me smile

Spoiler
I;m happy the 3 villains are workjing together and chrysalis was great, but it wasn't gusty that took his bell, it was northstar that destroyed it....oh well XD
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 04:17:04 AM »
I loved this episode! I have a feeling I'll be re-watching many times

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 04:32:50 AM »

Spoiler
I;m happy the 3 villains are workjing together and chrysalis was great, but it wasn't gusty that took his bell, it was northstar that destroyed it....oh well XD
Spoiler
It's hilarious that Gusty's only notable role in that story arc was winking herself to Tambelon OFF SCREEN.  Yet here she's the big the hero of it all.  I think this makes it clear this has nothing to with the actual G1 media.

Grogar also doesn't have his city in this either.  Just the painfully obvious rock formation.  Again, they are essentially the Legion of the Doom for ponies.  I half expect a narrator to break in saying "Meanwhile, at the Legion of Doom."
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 06:04:37 AM »

Spoiler
Ultimately, this is not the same story as G1 - it is the G4 version of it.  I think they just took some inspiration from it, but never intended to retell the story to the letter (which is fine, it's their version of it.)

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:18:28 AM »
This is a top episode for me. I really loved it! My only qualm about this story arc is how has nopony realized tireak and cozy are missing from Tartarus?

I loved the gusty shout out!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »
Very entertaining and intriguing episode. Best of the season so far.   :biggrin:
These three no-do-gooders have a lot of personality and they clash with each other very well, especially since there's only three characters to work with and not the usual six. Probably my favorite part is just them hanging around the fire, trash talking about our heroes.   :P
The song was pretty fun, though I'll have to listen to it a couple more times. Still great to get another villain song after so long.
Got our first glimpse of Gusty (unless if you count the book cover in A Flurry of Emotions). Interesting design with the long, tendril hair and irregularly shaped horn. I'm not expecting to see her in the show proper, but it'd be cool.
I like the design of the bell itself; has that ancient look.
Now for those who don't know, that snake-ox thing is apparently called an Ophiotaurus from Greek mythology.
Rusty Bucket was a neat addition and foil for Cozy Glow. I actually wonder if he has any connection to Gusty.
Grogar is intimidating as ever. We got to see just how powerful he really is, even without the bell.

Now my only question is why didn't Grogar watch them through his magic eye orb thingy? Could it not see past the magical winds or what have you? Or does he already know they're betraying him and he's just waiting for the perfect time to use this to his advantage?

Lastly, let's be real here, I think most of us predict Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow will be turn good one way or another by the end of the series. But if we get more moments of character growth out of them like this, I think it will be more welcoming and not as jarring or cheap.   :lookround:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:17:06 AM by TJgamer »
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »
This was a nice breath of fresh air! Very enjoyable and it was fun to watch Chrysalis be Chrysalis, especially where she asserted her power over others. She seems to have been a bit of a laughing stock in her past few appearances.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »
Finally!  An episode that isn’t horrible.  Seriously, this season has just been bland and boring, and after the last episode, this was such a pleasant surprise!  And I just loved the song.  I don’t know why, but villain songs are always better than the songs from the “good guys” (for the most part).  I’m looking forward to watching it again!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 12:51:15 PM »
I really enjoyed this one.  :)

Spoiler
I loved the song and how Chrysalis and Tirek took over the song from Cozy and Cozy complaining that it was her song.  It was fun seeing more of Chrysalis abilities and her transforming in to different creatures.  I also enjoyed seeing the 3 learning to trust each other and being surprised when they actually followed through on their promises when they could have easily broken them.

I do wonder why there's a guardian of the mountain when no one is able to reach the summit alone unless Rusty Bucket is a descendant of a pony that Gusty gave the task of guarding the bell.

I'm assuming no one has been to Tartarus since  Grogar freed Tirek and Cozy so no else knows that they aren't still trapped there?

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »
I like how they kept the five leaves in her cutie mark as opposed to cutting it down to today's standard of three.
Also, that wind marking I assume is alluding to her wind magic from the original G1 cartoon, which makes me wonder if she was the one who created the magical winds protecting the Everhoof peak.
Clever attention to detail, or just a coincidence?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:50:25 PM by TJgamer »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 02:09:22 AM »
This was the episode I was waiting for. Already saw it in Italian last week ;)
G4 Tirek is really such a douche. I was laughing out loud when he was pumping iron and Cozy was just sitting on him for extra weight. Stop skipping leg day, Tirek! You have noodles for legs.

They start to remind me of a dysfunctional family: mom Chrysalis, dad Tirek and daughter Cozy.
Grogar is the wealthy, hated uncle nobody wants to piss off because of a possible inheritance :lol:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
I was thinking Team Rocket, if James was obsessed with body building.  Extreme body building.

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 12:15:06 AM »
I was thinking Team Rocket, if James was obsessed with body building.  Extreme body building.
Holy crap, you're right.   :|

Has Team Rocket ever tried to betray Giovanni?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal