collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Crystal Crown

have her
13 (41.9%)
want her
12 (38.7%)
new to me
1 (3.2%)
gonna think some more
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: May 20, 2019, 09:20:29 AM

Author Topic: POTD 5/15/19 Crystal Crown  (Read 2434 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: POTD 5/15/19 Crystal Crown
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 08:46:08 AM »
It's not about the colour scheme per se.

I think to understand how I feel about this one requires being in the UK in 2004-5ish whenever it was, when there were a ton of ponies coming out of the US and we literally only had Season ponies we could trade for them. One by one Hasbro US found a way to bring out the Seasons in the US. But we still had Winter Snow!!

And then Hasbro brought out the Clone and because they did, suddenly people in the US stopped trading for Winter Snow and it cost a small fortune to get ponies from the US after that. It became financially prohibitive ultimately and I gave up - it was very disheartening. It wasn't all about Crystal Clone, but I remember her as the turning point between when we actually had a chance and when we didn't.

A really one sided toyline is not nice to deal with, trust me. G1 had regional variations so we could trade. G4 has not really had any regional variations. But it's like people in the US trying to trade for G2 only having nothing to trade for them and thus having to shell out the money instead. G3 did that to us. And Crystal Clone was the pony I associate with that change. I know there were some later European ponies, but mostly they didn't show up well in the UK and by that point, the war was lost.

She's more of a symbol of Hasbro's US bias during G3 and the plague of Target exclusives that didn't travel than anything else to me.

But I don't like her shade of green either. Winter Snow is genuinely prettier.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
It wasn't a US bias, it was just capitalism.  Target says "We'll give you money to design a unique pony for us.  We want a unique pony to draw collectors and kids to our store.  Part of the deal is that ONLY we get to sell this pony."  And Hasbro says, "Great!  We love money."

I get how frustrating it is when you want something and it's inaccessible because of geography or cost.  But a lot of great ponies came out of the TRU, Target, and Kaybee's deals, and it's not like those ponies would have been released worldwide otherwise;  if the stores hadn't come knocking, Hasbro wouldn't have bothered designing / producing those ponies.

To use the G2 example, which do you think American G2 collectors would prefer:  The later G2s being expensive to obtain, or the later G2s being impossible to obtain because they were never even made?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
If they don't exist, you can't miss them, so that's a silly question. You can't miss what isn't there.

I don't think I need to validate it further. G3 wore me down as a collector to the point I had to give up and walk away, and Crystal Clone was the start of that process.

It's a little different with the US and G2 because at the time they were out most of the US weren't interested. It's just the only close example I could think of.

Being a pony collector not in the US - when ponies are out and when they're not - is a totally different experience from being one in the US. I don't think this is the right place to discuss it, but you have a similar situation today with people in some European countries, SA, Australia, etc with the retros. It's expensive, prohibitive, demoralising.

Target also don't have that much control over their pony exclusives. All G4 Target ponies made it to the UK, some even with the target logo still on the box. In fact, I believe one or two G3 ones (Royalette? Royal Ribbon)? also made it to the UK, so even in G3 they didn't have that control. It's clearly not them making the decisions.

But my issue isn't that Target had exclusives. That side of it is annoying but I get it. It's that Hasbro US found ways to sneak all the Seasons into the US market through freebies and add ons. The only one they didn't was Winter Snow - then they brought out Crystal Clone. It was the sneakiness of it that I objected to. If they had wanted to sell the Seasons in the US for 'capitalism's sake', just sell them in the US, properly, from the start. Don't give the European market false hope by giving them an apparent exclusive and then take that away a year or so later.

In any case, no more on this subject please. I don't think I need to defend my right to dislike a pony or my reasons for disliking it on the POTD thread.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:32:05 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:51 AM »
It's not about the colour scheme per se.

I think to understand how I feel about this one requires being in the UK in 2004-5ish whenever it was, when there were a ton of ponies coming out of the US and we literally only had Season ponies we could trade for them. One by one Hasbro US found a way to bring out the Seasons in the US. But we still had Winter Snow!!

And then Hasbro brought out the Clone and because they did, suddenly people in the US stopped trading for Winter Snow and it cost a small fortune to get ponies from the US after that. It became financially prohibitive ultimately and I gave up - it was very disheartening. It wasn't all about Crystal Clone, but I remember her as the turning point between when we actually had a chance and when we didn't.

A really one sided toyline is not nice to deal with, trust me. G1 had regional variations so we could trade. G4 has not really had any regional variations. But it's like people in the US trying to trade for G2 only having nothing to trade for them and thus having to shell out the money instead. G3 did that to us. And Crystal Clone was the pony I associate with that change. I know there were some later European ponies, but mostly they didn't show up well in the UK and by that point, the war was lost.

She's more of a symbol of Hasbro's US bias during G3 and the plague of Target exclusives that didn't travel than anything else to me.

But I don't like her shade of green either. Winter Snow is genuinely prettier.

Ah, I see.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 10:21:07 AM »
Had her a few times in the past.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
She's beautiful! I'd like to have her someday but G3s aren't super high on my list of pony priorities, compared to G1s.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
I love Crystal Crown. :) By the time I got back in to MLP most of the really nice G3s were long gone and the Core 7 was beginning. A friend sent me Crystal Crown with her cape and hat. I don't have her wishing well though.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »
I had her and Winter Snow. Gave WS away to my friend because I preferred CC :angel:
She is my favorite in the diva pose. She is a diva!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
I had her and Winter Snow. Gave WS away to my friend because I preferred CC :angel:

And pose!  :choc:
And pose!  :super:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »

For me that honour goes to Crystal Lake. Seriously. It comes with ruffles.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Crystallacei.JPG
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »

Yeah but she has no tiara for a symbol. The tiara is important because beauty queens get them :lol:
Color combo wise I like Crystal Lake better. Also, as a horror movie fan her name is hilarious to me. But CC is the one who struts her stuff on stage.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »

Yeah but she has no tiara for a symbol. The tiara is important because beauty queens get them :lol:
Color combo wise I like Crystal Lake better. Also, as a horror movie fan her name is hilarious to me. But CC is the one who struts her stuff on stage.

Yeah. Crystal Lake's name cracks me up.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »
Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one amused by Crystal Lake ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal