collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: First year flutters, second year wing fixings...  (Read 3104 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
First year flutters, second year wing fixings...
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
As the title suggests really...

I know Forget Me Not and Honeysuckle both exist with first year closed wing fixings and second year open wing fixings. The former also have straight hair and the latter really curly hair in my experience.

But I kind of got to wondering if it's just those two. I just did a search on Peach Blossom on ebay, who shares their pose, but couldn't see any that looked like they had second set fixings or mad curly hair.

And even though Rosedust and Lily (in the US) and Rosedust and Morning Glory (in the UK) were sold in the second year, I've never seen any pony in that pose with open second set wing fixings.

...So my question is, basically - is this just a variation that affects Honeysuckle and Forget-Me-Not?

And as both of them weren't reissued in 1987...WHY?!

Images for reference below:

Honeysuckle:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Closed first year fixings

Open second year fixings.

ForgetMeNot:

Closed first year fixings

Open second year fixings.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
Re: First year flutters, second year wing fixings...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 02:53:53 PM »
I have a Peach Blossom with the second year wing fixings :) I believe her hair is straight although I think I got her at ponycon so a collector could’ve washed her hair, but there isn’t much of a suggestion that it was curly originally. Strangely, all my other fluters are curly so I’m honestly not sure.

I checked over my other 1st set girls, (all of whom are curly) and all (even doubles of honeysuckle and forget me not) have 1st year closed fixings? So peach blossom is also affected, but no clue on the other pose!

Sunsparkle x

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »
Ahah! There is one! Thanks for that :D It made sense that there OUGHT to be a Peach Blossom but I've just never found one O.o.

The fact you got her at con doesn't help narrow down her origins though.

I know that the two 2nd style ones I have both came from UK carboot sales (the first year Honeysuckle actually came from the US I think, maybe Canada, one or the other, the first year Forgetmenot also a UK carboot sale). But I haven't seen wild curl like that on Peach Blossom before. The curl may be incidental...it's just mad curl as opposed to loose curl. I don't have any others with mad curl...even the few MIB ones I have are loose-curl if they have curl.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
No problem! Yes it makes sense that there would be one too! I got her years ago, maybe 2015? I was 13 so I don’t remember much, but I can’t recall the seller saying anything about her, and she was only £1.50! My first flutter, and I had no clue she was different, I was just chuffed to have one  :P all except a forget me not (another ponycon) have been found in the U.K. too.

The curls are lovely! They look so pretty! And yes, I can’t say I’ve got any with hair that curly! Just one big curl or a bit on the ends, seems odd that only your 2nd year wing ones have the same type of curl though, but then peach blossom doesn’t, really interesting, I love variants!

Sunsparkle x

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
Me too! And now I know that there's a 2nd fixing Peach Blossom out there, I shall be looking for her :D I am thinking at this point it's just this pose for some reason...

I know the US had large head small head things going on but I've never seen that here. I'm wondering if this is our equivalent -although the flutters don't seem to have been staggered in their UK release from the US in either year, so maybe not...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
I don't know if this helps or hurts, but my Rosedust has open wing slots and so does my Hollywood, so it's not strictly a pose thing -- for the US flutters anyway. Also my Forget-Me-Not has ultra-curly hair like your second picture but closed wing slots like your first.

Flutter ponies, man... :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:27:50 PM by BlushingBlue »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:05 PM »
I don't know if this helps or hurts, but my Rosedust has open wing slots and so does my Hollywood, so it's not strictly a pose thing -- for the US flutters anyway. Also my Forget-Me-Not has ultra-curly hair like your second picture but closed wing slots like your first.

Flutter ponies, man... :shrug:

:headdesk:

LOL

No, seriously, thank you :) I guess then there's a good chance of a complete line of first set open socket ponies, which suggests Hasbro changed the design halfway through to try and make them sturdier?

Curls then seem to be arbitrary...I wonder if this also relates to the possibility of them being made at multiple factories? It's certainly true that the body tone for both of those pictured above also varies between ponies, which may be a factor.

Gah. Flutter ponies.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 01:26:23 AM »
Ah! So yeah, it’s looking quite possible that there are the other two with 2nd year wings! It’s hard to tell, but if you google ‘my little pony g1 lily’ the 3rd image (site is Ron’s rescued treasures) the lily looks as if she also had the open wings.

As for the head variations, I am absolutely rubbish at telling the difference, so here are all my flutters next to each other. If I can help with anything else let me know :) in real life, I’d say the forget me nots look the most different, the dark one seems to have a thinner head, but it could just be the colour difference. In the picture lily looks like she has a very wide head, I can’t tell!

Sunsparkle x

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 08:07:38 AM »
My childhood Honeysuckle and Peach Blossom came with curly hair, curled in one long ringlet.   They had first-year flutter mechanism.

Their curls did not look like individual curls like the curly-haired ones in the top post have.  IMO many of the "straight haired" flutters out there originally had hair like mine--one loose, long curl that can easily be brushed out, washed out, or just fall out over time.  (I mean, straight haired flutters may exist too, I'm just saying the single curl falls out easily and at that point it does look totally straight.) 

I don't know why other flutters have the wild curly hair--different manufacturing process?  Or did they start out with that same single curl and just happen to get brushed in such a way that their hair went crazy?

I've never seen a MIB flutter pony with multiple curls in the style of Heart Throb so I am a bit dubious about them starting out with multiple curls.

This is the kind of curl my childhood flutters had:

You can kind of see how the hair is twisted around into a tube or ringlet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:09:53 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
I am not sure either.

I have a handful of MIB/NRFB flutters in a mix of boxes (US, UK, 2nd set French) and all of them have the exact same kind of loose curl you mention as well. And they all have the kind of wing fixing you would automatically expect from their release.

On a slightly different note regarding hair, my two Cloud Puffs (MIB French and loose from the UK) also have very different hair. The former has the loose curl. The latter has completely straight hair. I happen to know her entire history as she belonged to a childhood friend and she never had curl. This friend kept her ponies immaculately and never messed with curl and stuff, but you can tell by the hair texture that it has never been curled. So maybe it's just different batches.

In any case the mad curl in the ponies photographed above definitely didn't come from the big loose curls. I have had a ton of ponies with messy and frizzy loose curls and they never look like that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 06:13:44 PM »
I have to recant part of my previous statement. orz I was going by pictures of my flutter collection, and a shiny spot of glue on my Hollywood's wing mechanism made me think it was open, but it is in fact closed. Rosedust is definitely rocking the second year mech though.

Forget-Me-Not's tight curls seem factory-made to me. The texture of the nylon has the same sort of "processed" feel as some other curly-haired ponies. I managed to wrangle her mane, but her tail is determined to do its own thing. All my other flutters have the normal silky, loose curls... Except Morning Glory who's just a messy mystery, but that's a whole other issue. ^^;

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 08:39:29 PM »
Rosedust was released with the 2nd set of flutters, along with Lily.  So her 2nd set mechanism makes sense, at least.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:06 AM »
Rosedust was released with the 2nd set of flutters, along with Lily.  So her 2nd set mechanism makes sense, at least.  :)

Yeah it does. Also Morning Glory, as we had her instead of Lily (I guess because of the movie being out around that time or whatever) in the 2nd set.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 12:57:07 PM »
I don't have access to my Honeysuckle or Rosedust but here's pics. It looks like they both have open wing mechanisms?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »
I don't get it... What are we looking at in this topic ? I wish I could help, but I have n o idea what to look for. Is it the wing mechanism ? Does anyone have a closeup of those different version ? please. 3:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal