collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Opinion About MIB/MOC  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Opinion About MIB/MOC
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 05:52:19 AM »

I guess I can understand why some people would like to relive the feeling of seeing brand-new G1s on toy store shelves. I get that. But I much prefer to see loose ponies on MY shelves, waiting to be played with, lol.

I am one of those greedy folk. I like and have both :D

Isn’t that breaking some ancient law of the toy collecting universe? =O Jk, lol. X3

The ponies made me do it O.O
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 06:11:26 AM »
Oh boy I’ve been super sick so I didn’t see this had exploded 😂

I would never buy a MIB/MOC that was super expensive anyways, I’m mostly a g3 collector. If I buy a g3 in-package I’m gonna open it bc they’re not worth crazy amounts of money and imo they’re not displayed well in the packaging. 1-2 I just wouldn’t be able buy it packaged anyways even if I was inclined to open it (which I’m not) unless it was one of the repros.

edit: also the reason I would buy an in-package g3 is because I love the accessories and none of the loose ones ever keep theirs

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 06:19:41 AM »
On the last comment, I am not sure that we're (yet) at a point where deboxing G3 creates such horror reactions as deboxing G1 and G2 have, in part I think because a lot of collectors bought and kept them MIB so there is a bigger supply of them surviving. But I don't know how anyone else feels - I don't debox G3 ponies now. I did when they were out in stores and in production, but not now they're done.

As for the accessories - G3 ponies are much more likely to be sold with their accessories than G1 in my experience - because of that fact of collectors buying them and then later selling them on. I've bought a lot of loose G3 over the last few years with their packages and accessories all included (most recently the white adult and orange baby set, absolutely mint, loose and complete) so they are out there...

But I am not sure if opening G3 is a problem yet. Maybe it will be, if people keep opening them - but not sure right now.

I do agree that G3 packaging doesn't display the ponies well. It's ugly and repetitive compared to the prior 2 gens, which maybe makes it less appealing. They are quite easy to store in box though - most of them - except the easter egg ones ><
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 06:54:54 AM »
I don't think opening g3 mib/moc will ever be the same level of controversy because there were many many many more produced than g1. And many collectors bought and kept them in package. G1 there were not many straight up Collectors, 99% of us were children.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 08:04:23 AM »
I don't think opening g3 mib/moc will ever be the same level of controversy because there were many many many more produced than g1. And many collectors bought and kept them in package. G1 there were not many straight up Collectors, 99% of us were children.
Too true. I have a few in packaging.  I didn't even think of them when the discussion started.  I originally bought them to give to my newborn niece when she was older but by the time arrived she was into something completely different so I got her that instead. Now those g3 ponies are buried in the back of a closet.  I don't think they have much value.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 08:08:11 AM »

Yeah, this is probably true. I just don't want to make a sweeping assumption as a G1 collector. I feel like - and this is just for me, not a moral rule for anyone else - that if something is still in production, it's fair game. If it isn't, then I won't open it. Because to be frank, I don't know what G3 ponies are rare, what's sought after, what might command value or interest or whatever. So I'm not going to alter the market any xD. G1 - I know that. G3 - I'm just going to not do anything...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 01:11:02 PM »
I have a few MIB G3s. I did have to partially debox my MIB Styling Cheerilee due to mold damage that was spreading inside her box. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal