collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Opinion About MIB/MOC  (Read 4944 times)

Offline ShayminMarx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
  • "Catch a kite, and you catch a wish!"
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr: runaway-rainbow
Re: Unpopular Opinion About MIB/MOC
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 01:39:58 AM »
As much as I love how MIB/MOC ponies look, I don't think I could ever buy one just because I'd be so tempted to take it out of the packaging (and it would break my heart to do so)!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 02:32:59 AM »
I am somewhat package obsessed, so I love MOC ponies. It's also a quest of mine to try and get as many of my childhood ponies mip as possible, though some will probably be impossible as right now no surviving examples exist.

I am fine with other people not liking them. I don't get the "I feel sorry for them" argument, though. It's not Toy Story, and in some ways a common pony MOC is going to be more valued than if she were loose (for example MOC Bow Tie gets attention, loose Bow Tie might be left at the thrift).

I feel strongly that if you don't like MOC, don't buy MOC. If you end up with MOC, sell it and get the pony loose. Please do not take any more MOC ponies from circulation. I've seen a few collectors in the last few years who have sold up whole collections of decarded ponies. In one case one collector had taken 200 ponies out of circulation, only to sell them some years later. It's fine to think "my pony, my choice", but thus far I've seen so many decarders sell up that actually, it has bigger ramifications.

For me decarding a MOC pony is like cutting a piggy pony's hair because you personally don't like the piggies, even though there are 50 other people who do and would give it a good home. And at some point we have to stop and recognise that this collectible is finite and everything we do to it has a wider impact.

I care a lot about keeping MOC ponies MOC, partly for nostalgia, but also because they are our main source of information about pony releases around the world. Over the years we've already lost several websites. A lot of information that was generally and widely known in the past has somehow disappeared - I see a lot of questions asked now that ten years ago people wouldn't have asked because they already knew the answers. That suggests a lot more newer collectors coming in in a time after some of those sites disappeared into the ether, as well as greater reliance on less comprehensive sources of information.

MOC ponies are a surviving piece of history. They help us to understand the years they're sold, the types of card, the accesssories, and so on - many of those mysteries have been partially solved by MOC examples. Regional variations in accessories have also been brought to light by MOC examples. For example, we only know that y3 Posey in the US and y3 Posey in the UK had different accessories, despite being the same pony, because we have surviving MOC examples from those two countries. And if you collect accessories, its useful to know what accessories are likely to come up in your locale, and who they belong to.

I feel this from a UK perspective as well, as there are a lot more surviving US ponies MOC than there are for most European and especially UK sets. The US market was just so huge, I guess more lasted. But there are some pony releases in the UK for which no known surviving MOC currently exists (3/6 Mountain Boys have never surfaced yet, 5/6 1987 Twinkle Eyes, 1988 Newborn Twins, 1987 Megan and Sundance, the list goes on). We have some surviving backcards for these but we're still missing information.

It's nobody's fault those ponies don't exist - the UK seems to have exhausted its supply of ponies as most all surviving examples of MIP Mountain Boys, etc come from Scandinavia. But there are still differences between releases there and here - it's much rarer to find a carded movie star pony with a sticker, because they weren't sold in Scandinavia with stickers - they were sold in the UK with them for a while, but I only know of a few examples that survive in the whole collecting community. Decarding just one of those robs future collectors of the MOC, but also potential accessory knowledge later down the line.

Basically I follow the precept of do no harm. Especially to other collectors and their grails. Some people have MIP grails. If you don't like a certain type of pony, it's better not to buy it, or to sell or trade it if you don't want it. Someone else will :)

I feel like if you can feel sorry for the pony in the package, yoiu can definitely empathise with the collector whose grail is a MOC pony that's really rare or may no longer exist due to decarding. We all need to take better care of each other in these situations. MOC prices have gone way up since the late 1990s when they were more plentiful. This is a supply and demand issue, but it's been aggravated by serial decarders like the one I mentioned above.

Of course there are occasional moments when a MOC pony is seriously mouldy or something on those lines when it's a different matter and about saving the pony. But those are rare. It's my hope that the retros will lead to a complete stop of decarding of G1 ponies at the very least. But I guess we'll see. Ponies decarded for display only are the saddest kind of pony to me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 03:36:26 AM »
I could never open a G1 but I would also never get one sealed. Too expensive :P

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 06:15:43 AM »

Of course there are occasional moments when a MOC pony is seriously mouldy or something on those lines when it's a different matter and about saving the pony. But those are rare. It's my hope that the retros will lead to a complete stop of decarding of G1 ponies at the very least. But I guess we'll see. Ponies decarded for display only are the saddest kind of pony to me.

I totally agree with everything Taffeta said. :)

I had to partially debox my G3 MIB Styling Cherelle due to mold damage.  :bawl: I didn't like having to do it but didn't want the mold to damage the pony.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 07:31:04 AM »
I prefer backcards because they are cheaper, but still have the lovely art! That said, I'm sure a few years down the line when I am more secure in my income and have collected most of the ponies loose, I'll want a Wave Runner MoC beacause she's my favorite. I have a bunch of G4 MiB just because I got too lazy to open them all, and I'm gaining a bit of appreciation of them. They do make for very nice display!

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:58 AM »
Oh dear, you've opened up a can of worms here ^^; Personally I'm with you, MOC just isn't my thing.. buuuut that said, I just stick to getting loose ponies instead of MOCs. No point wasting money on a MOC when I could get a nice minty loose pony for much cheaper, ya know? ;)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
I wouldn't get one simply because I love to hold my ponies and style their hair... I know I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to open it so what's the point of paying the MIB prices when I'm only going to open it and make it so there's one less of that pony MIB for collectors who like them that way

Offline Sweet Stuff

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Lil Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 09:43:50 AM »
I used to be a bit against MIB/MOC purely because they take up more space.
Now I have a few MIB/MOC things, including my beloved Sweet Stuff! I'd never open them, for reasons that people have said. It just wouldn't feel right.
I do adore MIB G2 more than G1, but at the end of the day I prefer loose ponies and toys because I like to pose and display them. I just wouldn't have the space for a MIB collection (nor the money  :lol:)
Currently looking for: NIP G1 Sweet Stuff.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
Oh dear, you've opened up a can of worms here ^^; Personally I'm with you, MOC just isn't my thing.. buuuut that said, I just stick to getting loose ponies instead of MOCs. No point wasting money on a MOC when I could get a nice minty loose pony for much cheaper, ya know? ;)

Yeah, this kind of thread has erupted into flaming in the past, but this time everyone is being quite calm so fingers crossed we've evolved xD.

I think not liking MOC is not controversial. It's the things Ponyfan mentioned that are...and hopefully the desire to open a G1 pony is being sated by the retros, leaving everyone much happier.

Though I said above I love MOC, and I do, I am still pretty picky about them. I have some US MIP ponies but my priority is UK or European ones. If sets have multiple card versions of course I want more than one pony from the set on different cards or the same pony on different cards is fine too. I think that probably means that the cards are more to me than the nostalgia overall...I love seeing pictures of people's SS MOC ponies, for example, but it doesn't make me want to go buy all of them myself.

I count the MOC ponies as part of my backcard collection, which is around 300 now including the MOCs...so getting examples of as many different cards is a major thing for me. I would so love one day to have a room where these could all be displayed properly. Right now the MOC ponies are mostly in cupboards and tubs and the backcards in boxes and folders in drawers...

But with all that said, the desire to recreate the wall of flutters I remember from when I was five years old trying to choose a pony is very real...I think I maybe have enough empty boxes, winged flutters, and MIB flutters to make a reasonable job of it -if only I had the space to do it!

With G2/G3/G4 my rule is basically I don't open something that's no longer being made. But in terms of displaying - G2 are awesome on card. I see not much appeal in G3 or G4 in package except that the G3 stack quite nicely. The packages are dull compared to the G1 line. So I don't look for G3 or G4 ponies MOC. But if I get them MIP and they're no longer in production or rarer for some reason I might leave them in package.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 10:00:37 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2019, 10:16:26 AM »
MOC are wonderful due to a little bit of toy history being captured in a pony time-capsule, keeping them intact serves to guarantee what accessories were available to those particular ponies. Also, being so rare, they become rather expensive (as we continue to see from current auction sites).

But yeah, as beautiful as G1 packaging was, as a child I just could not resist releasing the pony to play with! Oh, and to take a little sniff of that "new pony plastic" smell too!  :lol:

I personally am happy to leave those expensive MOCs to the "serious" collectors and I am happy to buy loose ponies, even in baity condition.

Considering 35th A G1s - well, I have bought a few and some are loose, others intact, my reasons being that the artwork is so pretty and it is easy to store these rectangular boxes - plus they are (relatively) inexpensive  :biggrin: I have only selected a few of my favourite ponies to keep mint, others have been opened for my kid to enjoy, so it's a bit of both worlds for me  :cool: oh and I have two of Confetti because... pristine white ponies...  :drool:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 06:33:48 PM »
I’m not really a MIB/MOC collector, but I do think they’re a really neat piece of history! :) I have a couple MIB G3 ponies since they are the generation I primarily grew up with. It brings me a little nostalgia to still se them in the box, and I love the art.

I’m in the camp of if you end up with a MOC pony and don’t want to keep it that way, you should sell it to someone who does. I get that it’s your pony and all, but it just seems so sad to take a pony who managed to stay in their package this long out just because you want to play with it. The funds you get from selling a MOC pony would easily let you buy that pony loose and possibly even more! :P It seems like a win win to sell imo!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 01:13:31 AM »
People like the art/design of the packaging, it brings back that feeling of looking at MLPs in a toy store when you're a kid, some may like that the pony inside is eternally mint and pristine (although their condition can deteriorate inside the package too) and when it comes to G1 there are very few of them left so people want to preserve the ones that still exist. These are some of the reasons people may have for collecting MOCs/MIBs. Many would argue it's pointless for adults to collect childrens' toys anyway, regardless if they're in or out of their original packaging. Everyone's free to enjoy whatever they like in whatever way they like.

This. Preserving the boxed/carded ponies of past generations is important. If you don't want a pony MIB or MOC, please, please, please buy the pony loose and don't unbox or decard one. If you somehow end up with one and don't want it, sell it and use the money you get to buy the pony loose. People need to be responsible and not further dwindle down the ones that are still out there.

100% this. I collect MOC/MIB ponies. I just love the way they look all pristine in their original package with the art and bubble all intact. Everyone has their own opinion. What may seem boring and pointless to you is fun and exciting for me. There are plenty of lose/minty ponies that can be found. There are getting to be less and less MOC/MIB ponies.

This. I do not collect them myself (I do not have the will power to keep them in that box), but I fully understand where MOC/MIB collectors are coming from. It IS history and so I feel that it is very important to us as collectors to responsibly try to preserve the history of what we collect as best we can.

I love to touch and move my ponies and give them spa days etc and this is what gives me joy in my collection. However I would hate to destroy a piece of history in order to do this: I would sell the pony to someone who would love it for what it is.

This is just my own opinion in this (very, very, very) controversial subject.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 05:19:59 AM »
I wouldn’t buy a MOC/MIB vintage pony. It makes me cringe to think of deboxing a historical artifact like that, especially knowing how many people would give their right arm to own some of them.

For my part, I like to play with my ponies. XD The only packaging I care about are old backboards, pamphlets, ads, etc. I do own two MIB G3 ponies that came in Easter-themed packaging. I’ve left them in there (so far...) because they make nice Easter decorations every year. If I ever figure out how to get them out without harming the boxes, though...

I guess I can understand why some people would like to relive the feeling of seeing brand-new G1s on toy store shelves. I get that. But I much prefer to see loose ponies on MY shelves, waiting to be played with, lol.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:27:11 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 05:29:34 AM »

I guess I can understand why some people would like to relive the feeling of seeing brand-new G1s on toy store shelves. I get that. But I much prefer to see loose ponies on MY shelves, waiting to be played with, lol.

I am one of those greedy folk. I like and have both :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 05:45:21 AM »

I am one of those greedy folk. I like and have both :D

Isn’t that breaking some ancient law of the toy collecting universe? =O Jk, lol. X3

I confess to having ONE MIB Sweetie Pup, purchased at the same time as her loose counterpart. That was a special occasion though (I had just rescued an actual Bichon Frise, and she looked identical to the toy—her nickname is now “Sweetie Pup”). That’s it for me...

...Well, except for those odd toy lines that are easier and cheaper to find MIB than loose. I will guiltily admit to unboxing a few of those. XP
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal