collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Opinion About MIB/MOC  (Read 4943 times)

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Unpopular Opinion About MIB/MOC
« on: May 11, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
I just don’t see the appeal in keeping your ponies in a box!!! You can’t see them properly or play with them at all! Why do people do this it seems so boring and pointless. I’d rather not have the pony at all than have it in a box. If I ever buy a boxed pony for a reasonable price you bet I’m busting that thing open and freeing the pony

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Opinion About MIB/MOC
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »
i agree that i wouldn't get one, personally... though i wouldn't debox one either. they have value as collectors items after all :P i can't see the appeal myself, but i do think a wall of MOC is very satisfying... but in that case, i'd have to have all in their package or none in their package (and i've opted for none, its much gentler on my wallet!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
I feel the same way about MOC. I hate to see them all boxed up. I am not saying that all look weird to me just some. But by this I am mostly referring to G-3's.....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:02:34 AM by Pumpkin_Tart »

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:36:37 PM »
People like the art/design of the packaging, it brings back that feeling of looking at MLPs in a toy store when you're a kid, some may like that the pony inside is eternally mint and pristine (although their condition can deteriorate inside the package too) and when it comes to G1 there are very few of them left so people want to preserve the ones that still exist. These are some of the reasons people may have for collecting MOCs/MIBs. Many would argue it's pointless for adults to collect childrens' toys anyway, regardless if they're in or out of their original packaging. Everyone's free to enjoy whatever they like in whatever way they like.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 02:42:02 PM »
People like the art/design of the packaging, it brings back that feeling of looking at MLPs in a toy store when you're a kid, some may like that the pony inside is eternally mint and pristine (although their condition can deteriorate inside the package too) and when it comes to G1 there are very few of them left so people want to preserve the ones that still exist. These are some of the reasons people may have for collecting MOCs/MIBs. Many would argue it's pointless for adults to collect childrens' toys anyway, regardless if they're in or out of their original packaging. Everyone's free to enjoy whatever they like in whatever way they like.

This. Preserving the boxed/carded ponies of past generations is important. If you don't want a pony MIB or MOC, please, please, please buy the pony loose and don't unbox or decard one. If you somehow end up with one and don't want it, sell it and use the money you get to buy the pony loose. People need to be responsible and not further dwindle down the ones that are still out there.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 05:17:31 PM »

This. Preserving the boxed/carded ponies of past generations is important. If you don't want a pony MIB or MOC, please, please, please buy the pony loose and don't unbox or decard one. If you somehow end up with one and don't want it, sell it and use the money you get to buy the pony loose. People need to be responsible and not further dwindle down the ones that are still out there.

100% this. I collect MOC/MIB ponies. I just love the way they look all pristine in their original package with the art and bubble all intact. Everyone has their own opinion. What may seem boring and pointless to you is fun and exciting for me. There are plenty of lose/minty ponies that can be found. There are getting to be less and less MOC/MIB ponies. 

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »

100% this. I collect MOC/MIB ponies. I just love the way they look all pristine in their original package with the art and bubble all intact. Everyone has their own opinion. What may seem boring and pointless to you is fun and exciting for me. There are plenty of lose/minty ponies that can be found. There are getting to be less and less MOC/MIB ponies. 
Wholeheartedly agree with all of the above - in some cases there is only one MOC known of a pony. From an archiving and collecting perspective, it's best not to destroy that.

Personally, I love MOCs. G1s especially, since the artwork is so pretty, and it's something preserved from before my time. I only have one MOC (baby Wave Dancer) and I love her dearly.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
The lure of having MIB and MOC ponies is they are like historical artifacts. It's very rare for ponies to survive 35 years without being opened, and they add some distinction and uniqueness to your collection too I think.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
I also agree on not decarding G1 MOC ponies. There are so few of them left and some might be the only remaining MOC example of a certain pony. I was able to get a MOC last year from a friend. She's so pretty. I think it's really interesting that she has stayed sealed all of this time.

I agree with the others who have said not to by a G1 MOC/ boxed  and debox it. In the past I have seen collectors bragging about spending the money for a MOC G1 and then immediately after it arrived deciding that "they like the pony better off the card" and turning the pony in to a loose mint pony instead of a MOC pony. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
I know right, whats the fun in having a pony you cant touch. However I wouldn’t open the box if I somehow get one (Im not gonna buy one) I wont open them because it might be someone’s dream to have them moc/mib.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »
I would like at least one. But the temptation to open others would be too much.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
     It is a bit boring, just having it in the box and never playing with it. But I do understand the appeal. While I don’t seek MIB or MOC ponies on purpose, if I come across one...I might pick it up to display in box. I would never remove it from the box or card though. I have one g2 MOC keychain, and I will never, ever de-card her.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 12:09:42 AM »
Ponies stored in their packaging aren’t always as minty as we imagine them to be.  They can still get age spots, staining and discoloration and don’t look as nice as when they were in the package.  The worst part is, we don’t always know until we open them.

Personally, I think selling it on and using those funds to buy the pony I really want is the wiser option.  I love minty ponies out of packaging.  They do exist in greater numbers than MIB/MOC.

If I ever do buy one on card, it will be because of the artwork.  It’s often very beautiful.  And it can be destroyed when removing the pony.  Even when being careful, it does look odd to have a big empty bubble in the center of it.   :shrug:

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 01:25:10 AM »
I mostly collect loose ponies but I love some mib ponies to add dimesions in displays. Moc I don't like so much has they are tricky to display since I don't hang them

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 01:33:31 AM »
I like ponies and I like backcards (some of them are so pretty!) but ponies still attached to backcards are not for me. I like to play with my ponies! So I buy loose ponies and the occasional loose backcard or box and leave the MOCs to people who are into that sort of thing. That way everyone's happy.

I'm not really interested in opening an MOC; none of my ponies (except G4) came in boxes so it's not as if I have fond childhood memories of deboxing ponies and need to recreate the experience.

I can understand wanting to keep ponies in boxes as historical artefacts. But if I want to see boxed ponies, I can look online, I don't feel the need to personally own one. Other people are out there preserving boxed ponies and enjoying it; I'm enjoying owning my loose ponies. Happy pony collectors all round :).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal