collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips for Washing Build A Bear Pony  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Tips for Washing Build A Bear Pony
« on: May 10, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »
I apologize if this was posted (I couldn't find it).

How do you best wash a G4 build a bear pony? I received one as a gift from a flea market and I want to make sure she is sanitized but I don't want to ruin her plush or hair. She stands pretty well too so I want to keep it that way if possible.

Can't wait to hear your stories, experiences, tips and tricks!

:work: :awake: :lovey:
~Foxtale~

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Tips for Washing Build A Bear Pony
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 05:22:31 PM »
I have yet to succesfully de-tangle hair but I have given mine a few spins in the washer. They stand up sort of alright but you would need to reposition the stuffing most likely. Or, you could de-fluff her and wash her Skin, then re-fluff with new or old stuffing?
Wig brushes seem like a popular choice for messing with the hair.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 05:59:57 PM »
Hi there! I've always been a bit nervous about washing my plushies in any kind of machine, so I typically just spray them with a gentle disinfecting spray (ours is actually homemade; I don't remember what all is in it because my sister makes it, but I think it has lemon juice and vodka - both heavily diluted, of course!) and then wipe them down with a rag to get rid of any surface dirt. I've heard some people put plushies in a pillow case and then put them in the wash because it somehow protects them? I'm not sure but it might be worth looking into!

As for hair, I generally wash it with shampoo, put some conditioner in it and let it sit for a few minutes, wash it out, and then mix a little bit of fabric softener into some warm water and soak the hair in that. Don't rinse the fabric softener out once you're done! Just put it in the style you want, let it dry, and then brush it out. Voila! Unfortunately I have run across a few BaBs that have just horrible hair that's impossible to fix, but that's worked for two of mine so far <3

You can also check the MLP Preservation Project page on plushies for some additional tips. Good luck with your plush!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »
I usually put some fabric cleaner/softner in a bucket of warm water and let them soak for a couple of hours. Which pony is it btw?
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 06:24:14 AM »
How do you best wash a G4 build a bear pony?
<snip>
She stands pretty well too so I want to keep it that way if possible.

I've been fortunate to find rather clean BaB ponies, so they've only required spot cleanings. Almost all plushes get a rub down with a disposable wipe that doesn't contain harsh cleaning agents. Too many times used plush figures seem to have a chemical odor, which I suspect is due to the thrift store sanitizing process: some places seem to reek of it the minute you step in. For that, I do a "shake-and-wait" in a bag with baking soda. The bag gets placed where I can see and give 'em a daily tumble when I pass. I do that for a week. Then they go into a mesh bag and spend forty minutes on air fluff in the dryer, alone.

Mane and tail hair repair is a whole and separate matter.

If you're fortunate enough to live near a BaBW store, they'll re-stuff the critter for free. I got a rather floppy Rarity some time ago, and they changed her stuffing out so she's rather plump. No charge, although I felt obliged to buy the clothing for her and Rainbow Dash (that I wanted anyway!).

Good luck! 

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
Great tips so far guys! Thank you.

I didn't know they would re-stuff an older pony. Now I feel better about washing her in case I mess up the stuffing.

~Foxtale~

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
I always try to comb out the worst of the tangles and then loosely braid the hair (I'll be fixing it later!), then dump plushies in a pillowcase on the gentle cycle.  I will always put mine in the dryer on very low heat for a long time because ain't no one got time to wait for plushies to dry any other way.  When the pony is clean, I'll detangle and fix hair as normal in the sink. 

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:28:11 PM »
I've been lucky and not had to wash any of my Build A Bear's but when I do wash plushies, I put them inside a pillowcase first and on a gentle wash - hope this helps

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
I have a BAB Trixie I can throw in the wash tonight as an experiment.  She only cost a dollar so if she's ruined it's no loss. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal